Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I just got the work I wanted done for my 1JZGTE swapped IS300 with a w55. I haven't gotten it tuned just yet but I have about $2,000 left on my budget. Not quiet enough I know but I am close. I'm probably going to be pushing 400hp which I know can be dangerous for the current transmission.

While I'm not looking to make anymore power then I have ever as this is my daily. Just wanted it to be a fun car to drive every day. And I don't want to shatter my gearbox. I am not the builder by any means but the guy that said it told me I am pushing the limits with what I have.

1JZGTE VVTi from JZX100
Upgraded CT15-B w/ Garret 60-1
AEM 340 fuel pump w/ hiflow filter
Bosch 550cc injectors
Upgraded HKS Wastegate Actuator
Greddy Type S BOV
HKS Adjustable CAM gear
Mishimoto catch can
Mishimoto dual fan shroud
Mishimoto radiator
Greddy E-Manage
CX Racing intercooler
Turbo manifold
Catless 3" back exhaust
HKS Hybrid oil filter
Royal Purple Oil
HKS Air Intake

I have resealed the motor, used HKS timing and v-belt. NGK Iridium plugs with NGK wires & coil packs. So now I am looking at doing something to the suspension aside from the HKS Hypermax IV coil overs. I was going to take the rest of my money and do that and upgrade the clutch and flywheel. But my guy told me I might do better to upgrade the transmission first before I do anything else. He said it can run at 350hp semi reliably and reliability is what I want most out of this.

I haven't skimped on the rest of the stuff and I can put a smaller spring to run lower a lower PSI till I can decide on a boost controller. Not quiet sure yet as I am looking for a nice pod setup first.

So I think I want to hold off on the suspension for now and go for a new transmission setup. What I was looking at was this from Driftmotion.

Now what I am concerned about is getting everything I need at once to pass the parts off to someone to do. I don't want to get that and hen need to wait for more parts again as it seems I have to wait as it is for a few more to order before it will get to me. And what is needed or not needed to ensure my speedo works at once.

The one I am looking at already seems to have the housing to a direct bolt up but not sure on what I needed for the speedo to ensure it doesn't throw any codes. Which some have told me is going to be an issue till I ditch the piggyback and get a full standalone ECU like an AEM v2.

Looking at different threads I can not seem to find what I need exactly do to the motor swap and so forth. I just like the piggyback as I'm not looking for a tin of power and want the fail safes from a factory ECU. Maybe later I will look into an Amuse, TOM's or have a MINE's ECU built. Most reselling them aren't sure what their ECU was tuned for as it usually isn't from the original owner.

So if anyone could help me so I can get all the parts to ensure this goes smoothly for my buddy and does anyone have any suggestions on a clutch/flywheel setup as well? If you would be so kind. Sorry new to the IS300 and boosted cars. Just wanted to have one of these for a long time. Fun and reliability first and speed next.

·
Registered
478 Posts
My vote is the AR-5 transmission. You’ll need the SC300 W58 flywheel, a good pressure plate, and a good full face clutch, the GM hydraulic TOB, and a bigger clutch master cylinder, JZ-R154 bellhouse, and the shifter extension. There are threads on this very site that spell out exactly what you need and how to do it. You can research what the AR5 is. You can come out with a whole trans+clutch+driveshaft for a bit more to what that R154 is going to cost you. Depends on what the trans costs, clutch and pp, etc. plus that w55 has some resale value. I got like 800$ for the trans and driveshaft when I sold it.

Speedometer correction is easy, you just need to pick up the vss signal from the abs module. Typically the hacked ecus (tom’s/mines/blitz) raise the revlimit, raise boost limit, delete speed cut etc. You’d have to run dual ecus, like the hacked jzx110 plus the stock is300 ecu, because the is300 ecu is not tuneable. Or just go for the standalone initially.

Swapping the motor is straightforward man. Pull the bumper/radiator/condenser. Unhook all the lines: fuel/coolant/ac/throttle/clutch/wire harness. Unbolt the driveshaft and the motor and trans mounts. I maybe oversimplified it a step or three but it isn’t all that bad.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Ok guys I just got the work I wanted done for my 1JZGTE swapped IS300 with a w55. I haven't gotten it tuned just yet but I have about $2,000 left on my budget. Not quiet enough I know but I am close. I'm probably going to be pushing 400hp which I know can be dangerous for the current transmission.

While I'm not looking to make anymore power then I have ever as this is my daily. Just wanted it to be a fun car to drive every day. And I don't want to shatter my gearbox. I am not the builder by any means but the guy that said it told me I am pushing the limits with what I have.

1JZGTE VVTi from JZX100
Upgraded CT15-B w/ Garret 60-1
AEM 340 fuel pump w/ hiflow filter
Bosch 550cc injectors
Upgraded HKS Wastegate Actuator
Greddy Type S BOV
HKS Adjustable CAM gear
Mishimoto catch can
Mishimoto dual fan shroud
Mishimoto radiator
Greddy E-Manage
CX Racing intercooler
Turbo manifold
Catless 3" back exhaust
HKS Hybrid oil filter
Royal Purple Oil
HKS Air Intake

I have resealed the motor, used HKS timing and v-belt. NGK Iridium plugs with NGK wires & coil packs. So now I am looking at doing something to the suspension aside from the HKS Hypermax IV coil overs. I was going to take the rest of my money and do that and upgrade the clutch and flywheel. But my guy told me I might do better to upgrade the transmission first before I do anything else. He said it can run at 350hp semi reliably and reliability is what I want most out of this.

I haven't skimped on the rest of the stuff and I can put a smaller spring to run lower a lower PSI till I can decide on a boost controller. Not quiet sure yet as I am looking for a nice pod setup first.

So I think I want to hold off on the suspension for now and go for a new transmission setup. What I was looking at was this from Driftmotion.

Now what I am concerned about is getting everything I need at once to pass the parts off to someone to do. I don't want to get that and hen need to wait for more parts again as it seems I have to wait as it is for a few more to order before it will get to me. And what is needed or not needed to ensure my speedo works at once.

The one I am looking at already seems to have the housing to a direct bolt up but not sure on what I needed for the speedo to ensure it doesn't throw any codes. Which some have told me is going to be an issue till I ditch the piggyback and get a full standalone ECU like an AEM v2.

Looking at different threads I can not seem to find what I need exactly do to the motor swap and so forth. I just like the piggyback as I'm not looking for a tin of power and want the fail safes from a factory ECU. Maybe later I will look into an Amuse, TOM's or have a MINE's ECU built. Most reselling them aren't sure what their ECU was tuned for as it usually isn't from the original owner.

So if anyone could help me so I can get all the parts to ensure this goes smoothly for my buddy and does anyone have any suggestions on a clutch/flywheel setup as well? If you would be so kind. Sorry new to the IS300 and boosted cars. Just wanted to have one of these for a long time. Fun and reliability first and speed next.
I would do a T56. You will have no issues and you can pound on it a bit more than the others.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I'll look into it. I also had a guy suggest a Nissan CD009 to me as well. I won't be doing to much beating on it but I do want a solid build. My GF tells me I'm insane for spending this much money on an old car but she just doesn't get it. Still better then her leasing a new car every few years IMO. Then again I keep my cars for ages. The motor swap and stuff above is all done to the car. Just put what I have done to let you know what I had so maybe I could get a few ideas like both of you have. Gonna drive it for a bit till I get the rest of the cash for the trans swap.

·
Registered
562 Posts
For the same price, AR5 or brand new R154 transmission, no doubt if I had the money I'd go with the JZX100 R154 which will work perfect for your power levels. The R154 swap is as easy as it gets, and there's numerous threads on it. I don't know about the speedo issue, it would depend on the year of your car and if it came stock manual or not (there's also threads on this).

I'd look at buying the Link G4+ ECU since it has CANBUS capability so your dash won't light up like a Christmas tree.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts