Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this post over in Inside and Out but I have not received any replies.....I'm thinking maybe I put it in the wrong forum.....anyways....decided to post it here as well.....here is the original post:

Hi everyone.....this is my first post here.......I have been browsing around and I am amazed at how many IS fanatics there are out there. Myself I have a 2003 IS300 E-shift Intensa Blue Pearl with Black Leather interior, factory smoked tail lights and factory polished rims........and I love every second that I spend it it!!!!!

I want to attempt to do the blue light upgrade that I saw wxman talking about. I am going to try it on the guage cluster first before anything else. However, I do not want to risk messing up my original cluster just in case. I have already found another guage cluster for sale (fairly cheap) but obviously the milage is off. My questions are:

1. Do the miles of the car go with the guage cluster? In other words, will the miles that were on the cluster of the person I am buying the cluster from stay on the cluster and then become my miles? or when I plug in the new cluster....my original miles will come up?

2. If I replace the cluster.....will the computer freak out and turn on some warning light or something? or will it just accept it.

Obvioulsy because it is a digital cluster the miles must be stored on a chip somewhere.....I just don't know if the chip is with the cluster or if it's somewhere else. I really would hate to lose my original mileage.....it's just turned 5k!!!!!

Anyways.....any help or advice that anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks!!

·
8,803 Posts
I think the miles stay with the cluster.... not positive though...

unless you are VERY experienced with wiring and what not, id think twice about this mod. From what i have heard, it is rather involved and shouldt be done by the weekend modder....

·
8,880 Posts
You just found yourself a nice solution to have a "low-miles" IS. :lol:

Computer may throw an error (CEL) or may not at all. :-?

From what I heard, it works on BMWs. Some kind of error comes up, but everything goes back to normal once the original cluster is installed. :eek:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your advice guys!!! I really appreciate it!

TahoeSSDVD
Thanks for the advice. I am pretty good with wiring though.....and saudering to boot! But just in case.....that's why I want to do the color swap on another cluster and not mine......1) Just in case I screw something up.....and 2) Just in case I don't like the color, etc. Thanks again!

vlad_a
It would be a good solution wouldn't it!!!! :D But unfortunately the cluster that I found has more miles than my current IS. :( I currently have 5k miles....this cluster has I believe around 8k o 9k miles. Not much of a difference.....but it is a difference. Thanks for the advice though.....I appreciate it. I might just buy the unit and try the swap and see how the computer behaves......if it does freak out....hopefully it will be like BMW and go back to normal with the original unit.

Thanks again guys!!

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
The mileage is stored on the actual cluster itself so if you take yours out with 5,000 miles on it, it will be 5,000 when you put it back. As far as errors go, there should be none. It's a very basic plug and play modification. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JDM_SXE-10
Thanks for the info! It really helps out. I think I will try the mod then. Thanks again for everyones input, I appreciate it! 8)

·
Registered
947 Posts
i recently put a jdm dash in and it cam up that my car had 40k km on it. this freaked me out since it drastically increased the miles onmy car so then i put the oem in and the original miles showed up. so it it stored in the gauge cluseter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts