Lexus IS Forum banner

Question......

2K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  EricK 
#1 ·
What would you guys choose if the 330i was priced at $35K (same as IS300)? Would that change your decision? As I said in another post, the price difference between a loaded 328i (without the NAV) and the IS300 is $7,290. Also, how many of you can afford the IS300 but can't afford the 330i?
Eric.....

#5 ·
That's a tough one, Eric. If the market suddenly corrected the price for the BMW downward to 35K it would offer no better resale than the IS. So, now all we're talking about is quality, performance and feel. Perhaps the BMW uses a little higher quality materials, i.e. (Mercedes using horse hair and steel for their seats versus Lexus using nylon and plastic) but I still believe that Lexus has the edge in reliability, service costs and styling. Yes, I could afford the 330 but why buy that when you can get an S4?

#9 ·
I like both the 3-series and the IS300, so I don't really know which one I would pick. I would definitely test drive both of them and get some opinions from owners too.

As of now, I can't afford any new car.

[This message has been edited by JW (edited May 30, 2000).]

#10 ·
I priced out a 2001 2.8Q w/ a stick and every option minus heated seats for 33.2K after going through several dealerships for a friend. She went with the 2000 C class loaded out for a grand more. My thoughts are that an S4 would probably cost me at least a 4K premium and more than likely it would put me at 38K. That is about 4 or 5 grand more than I have allowed myself at this point. So to answer your question I will have to test drive the IS before making any decision. I doubt that I can live without the GPS in the IS and Audi's alledged new A4 next year w/ a possible v8 is just too glorious to ignore.

#11 ·
I would still opt for IS300 given the Toyota/Lexus interpretation of attention to details and the specific refinement in the car. The quality of dashboard materials of BMW 330i unquestionably supercedes the one in IS300 in normal sense. Besides, BMW 330i ride quality (in terms of absorbing the big bumps)would be better. However, I would sacriface all of these with a more reliable, less trouble-free IS300.

#12 ·
One more note :

Personally I don't like the open-style cupholders in BMW.

Besides, being a non-smoker, the design and the size of the armrest storage are definitely not for me --- it has 2 partitions which are arranged to hold JUST a cigarette box and a lighter. It may be smokers' taste... pull the armrest, open its storage, pick a cigarette, light a fire, shift the stick and then smoke and the tar falling on the cupholder where there is a coffee -- what a classic smooth action.. BMW ergonomics...

#13 ·
Hmm... That's a tough one! I like the style and reliability of the Lexus more... but I also like the idea of having a Coupe with the 330 (eventually).

Main thing is still the test drive though....

Yeah, I think I can afford the cars... but like someone else said: this is the MAX amount I'm willing to spend on a car right now.

------------------
VL (aka F50 on ICQ #243444)

#14 ·
If I were in the market to buy either the IS300 or 330i, I would opt for the Lexus. My GS400 is probably the greatest car I've ever owned and my ownership experience is an example of why Lexus has the top spots of J/D Power's list. As I said in prior posts, there's a lot to like of my sister's A4 2.8 quattro (styling, all wheel drive, ride) except its off the line power. So the bottom line is if the choice were between the IS300 or 330i, I would choose the IS300 due to my past experiences with Lexus.... BUT... If Audi's A4/S4 is available with a V8 engine, I would defintely go for the Audi... I'm a sucker for power and a V8 in that tiny car talks!
Eric.....

#15 ·
If Lexus made $7290 worth of improvements on the IS300 (to equal the price of the current loaded 328i (without NAV)).... What do think they would do and what would you want them to do... I guess increasing engine power (through turbo or supercharger) could be one...
Eric.....

#17 ·
Eric, my choice would be for Lexus to continue the theme:
1) Take 5 grand and dump it all into performance (supercharger is okay)
2) Take your 2K and change and dump it into the engineering and interior, i.e. ditch the prop rod and lathces in the trunk). Also, shut everyone up by softening the plastic and use higher quality rubber.
In effect you would have an L burner that could run neck and neck with an M that cost much more.

#18 ·
Regarding the S4...I don't how many of you have actually tried to get one, but there is a very long waiting list (lead time) for those things. Someone on the Miata list just got one about a month ago - after waiting almost a year... Given that info, it makes the S4 a little less appealing.

#19 ·
Interesting on the S4. Here in Dallas we have had several available. Sure, sometimes there isn't one on the lot but I have seen them sit for one to two months at a time.

#20 ·
Yeah Brad here in Rockville, MD there are 3 S4s at the Audi dealership avaiable for immediate delivery at $500 off the sticker. Maybe in New England or the other states that have harsh winters the S4 is in much greater demand (due to the All Wheel Drive). I would never drive an S4 in the snow with those 225/50-17 performance tires though. (downgrade to 16inchers)....Also Brad, I agree with dumping the $5K into performance.... Bottom line, maybe it's unfair to compare the 328/330 to the IS300 due to the price deficit because if Lexus put an extra $7K into the IS300, the Lexus would leave the BMW behind....C'mon Lexus... Let's have some more fun... (maybe in the future)
Eric......

#21 ·
For a little extra money, I would expect the IS300 to be a bit bigger and a bit lighter, with a turbocharged 3S-GTE or a 1JZ-GTE (2.5L I6 found in the Soarer and MkIII Supra). Hmm...so then it wouldn't be called an IS300 anymore, but that's okay. I wouldn't want too much extra stuff than what will be offered currently since it will jack up the weight. Less weight means more fun!

[This message has been edited by JW (edited May 30, 2000).]

#22 ·
To answer your first question..if the BMW 330 were the same price as the IS300, I would definitly go with the 330..330C kicks ass...Its just that i think paying over 40k is not worth it for the 330..The is300 is very appealing because of the price and standard equidment.

#23 ·
... if my budget is $30K before taxes, I would take Volkswagen Passat GLX ($29,255).

... if my budget is $35K before taxes, I would take Lexus IS300 ($33,700).

... if my budget is $40K before taxes, I would take Audi A6 2.7T (about $39,854). I have nothing against the BMW 330i. I am just tired of seeing a parade of Bimmers every day (a staple among Bay Area techies).

... if my budget is $45K before taxes, I would take Audi S4 ($43,623).

... if my budget is greater than that, I will be insanely happy.

With stock market the way it is, my budget is $35K before taxes. Hopefully, the IS300 will cheer me up!

#25 ·
I would LEASE the IS300...You couldn't do any performance schmaltz to it ( being a lease) but something is cool about having an "out of the box" performance sedan.Cool looking without trying too hard....( okay, maybe a little tuning...)Besides,after 3 years the 5_speed "L" version would be out!!Then I would just turn in my 2001 model and go at it again!!(unless there was something else to look at)Keep your options open!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.