Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the release date of the IS300, isn't its real BMW competitor the 330i? Although the 330i will be more $$, I think the IS300 will immediately be at a performance diadvantage vs. the newer, faster BMW.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
The new 330i BMW will be heavier than the current car and the factory spec 0-60 time of the automatic 330i is 7.0 seconds vs. 7.1 seconds for the IS300. I wouldn't complain over a 1/10 of a second difference in performance. Plus the 330i will definitely be more expensive...
Eric

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wait for the roadtests. It is likely the 330i will be quicker than the factory numbers, as might the IS300. BMW rated the M5 at 5.3 or something and magazines were getting 4.7.

I think Lexus made a mistake with the auto only first year. I know there was a lot of pressure to offer it which met with resistance until it was too late.

It is not like Toyota doesn't offer manuals in other models. Go figure.

[From TEG: But it is very unusual to find a manual transmission in a Lexus ]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited May 19, 2000).]

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Well our 2000 740il factory specs state 0-60 time of 6.9 seconds... Road & Track and Car & Driver test the car in the mid 7's......
Eric...

·
Registered
171 Posts
The IS300 competitor is the BMW 3-series in general. The 323/325 and the 328/330 are both competitors b/c they are all in the same segment. The 3 series' performance could be better or worse than the IS, depending on the model you choose. Of course, the price for the 3 series will range from 30k to 45k whereas the IS300 will stay btw 31k and 35k. Basically, all IS300s will have similar performance, but not all 3-series will.

Toyota does offer manual, but Lexus has never offered a manual. Lexus has always focused on luxury so I can see why they were a little slow to see the importance of a manual in a performance sports sedan.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Lexus has offered a manual... When the SC300 first came out and it lasted a few years........
Eric....

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lexus is truly a great value but wouldn't a true test of its current status be to price it the same as a 330i? If they can do that AND outsell the 3 series kudos to Lexus.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has any Japanese company ever priced its products at or above a competitor when trying to gain market share? No. Not their way.

Great example is Yoko AVS Sports--great tire I have them. In the most popular size for the average "sport" package, 234/45/17, they are $50 less than Michelin and $30 less than the nearest tire in terms of performance. When you get into the bigger sizes the gap closes but they were willing to take the hit to get the tire on cars. Hey, I fell for it. $170 each for a tire that equals the best in many areas. That is the Japanese way but...you can't always copy "feel" or "soul".

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
The first ES300's and probably the ES250 also came out with manual transmissions too.

So technically, the IS300 is the third (4th if you consider the ES250 separate from the ES300) to have a manual.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
When I bought my Lexus GS400 with the upgraded 17inch wheels (tire size 235/45-17), the car came with Bridgestone RE030's which are $248 a tire...These tires are more expensive than the Pirelli P-Zero by $32 and more expensive than the Michelin Pilot Sport as well. They are amonst the most expensive tires you can get in that size (according to TIRE RACK)... So I would assume that replacements for the IS300's REO40 Bridgestone tires Will NOT be cheap....

On another note, I'd like to say that the 17inch wheel/tire option on my GS400 was only $250, where's the wheel tire package upgrade on my father's 740iL cost $1800...

·
Registered
2 Posts
i think you guys are forgeting the copetition from mercedes, with the C-Class. Expecially considering that a redesigned C is coming in Sept. I think that will take a lot of the sales from this type of class

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
No doubt, the C-class will be a worthy competitor to the IS300, but I believe it will appeal to older buyers (due to its S-class sedate looks and higher projected price.) Primary competition to the IS300 will be the Audi A4 and BMW 3 series.
Eric

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
EricK
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing