Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend recently bought a jetta VR6, and he was wondering if 18" rims would fit on it? Also, would it effect performance, such as 0-60 times, handling, etc... What about 17" rims? I know this question isnt about the IS, but you guys seem to know a lot about cars, so thats why I'm asking.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by lexflex:
my friend recently bought a jetta VR6, and he was wondering if 18" rims would fit on it? Also, would it effect performance, such as 0-60 times, handling, etc... What about 17" rims? I know this question isnt about the IS, but you guys seem to know a lot about cars, so thats why I'm asking.
yo...
u could put on a set of 23" rims if u wanted..
it all depends on if his car is slammed, da width of the rim, tires...
but u could practically put any size possible...

18" should be no problem...
i have 18's on my accord..
i think jettas have a bigger wheel well than my car..
it shouldnt be a problem..
but if its lowered, then dats a different story..

late

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
bigger rims are rarely better....they're USUALLY heavier(although not always) and are mostly for appearance only.

·
Registered
442 Posts
18" rims are usually for show. I think idealy 15" or 16" are best. Another thing you gotta figure in is how off your speedometer is gonna be. With bigger or smaller rims and tires put together it's gonna throw off your speedometer a bit.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by GPR:
18" rims are usually for show. I think idealy 15" or 16" are best. Another thing you gotta figure in is how off your speedometer is gonna be. With bigger or smaller rims and tires put together it's gonna throw off your speedometer a bit.

cmon GPR..
no matter how dope a set of rims r, they will never ever look good in 15" or 16"...NEVER!!!

nowadays...you have to have at least 18"(when it comes to aftermarket rims..)
anything less would be uncivilized...

even 18" r getting played out..
most ppl r going for 19's now..

late

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. I was also wondering how the ride would be affected by putting bigger rims on the car? What about 0-60 times? They probably would make the car handle better though, right?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I was also wondering how the ride would be affected by putting bigger rims on the car? What about 0-60 times? They probably would make the car handle better though, right?
well..
that depends on the type of rim...
the material its made out of..
i believe alloy if da lightest...

my accord has alloy rims(18" VOLK AV3)
and they weigh less than da stock tires!!!

definetely better handling, more tire coverage to da road, but ur speedometer will be a little off cos the surface area of bigger rims is larger than stock, which will throw it off bout 3-5 mph...

and pleasse..please..
dont get chrome..
theyre heavy, nasty looking, hard to manage....

but on thing u have to keep in mind is dat with bigger rims, bigger tires, which can kind of be expensive...

i have 18" Pirelli P7000's on my ride..
each tire costs bout $165..ouch!!

late

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my friend is here... he decided on a set of 18 x 8's... but he said... that it might hurt his city driving due to the low tread on the tires... also he's wondering if he can still drop the car using like neuspeed or eibach springs... he said he heard that it doesn't hurt the quality of the ride too much.. is this true?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Also, how much you think it would cost to drop the car an inch or two?
again..
it depends on da type of srings u get...
i dropped my accord a huge 3.25"..
it practically scraping da ground..

i dont recommend dat...
plus..i had to rip out da plastic inside my wheel well just to fit my rims, because my car is so low...
see my rims r tucked under my fenders cos my ride is so low...
again..
i dont recommend dat..

i recomend a subtle 2-2.25" drop with 18" rims...
dat way u get to lower ur ride, add da rims, WITHOUT ripping out any plastic inside ur wheel well..

late

·
Registered
281 Posts
my friend is here... he decided on a set of 18 x 8's... but he said... that it might hurt his city driving due to the low tread on the tires... also he's wondering if he can still drop the car using like neuspeed or eibach springs... he said he heard that it doesn't hurt the quality of the ride too much.. is this true?

honestly..
da worst thing u can do to ur car is lower it..
ur friend has to know..
if he drops his car..
hes has to get a camber fix...which costs $$$..
cos lowering ur car gives ur car a negative camber...

u'll probably be scraping ur car in many instances....
and ur suspension mite not be as good, cos ur meddling with factory specifications..

but its ALL up to u!!

late

·
Registered
281 Posts
oh..
and another thing..
yes ur tires will definetely wear out faster cos da matarial on most low profile tires r alot more stickier than stock tires, which means it grabs da road alot better...
but will cos da tire to wear out faster..

late

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
kkambbak9399 Quote: "my accord has alloy rims(18" VOLK AV3)and they weigh less than da stock tires!!!" - Why are you comparing the weight of your Volk rims to your stock tires?
---------------------------------------------
lexflex - Low profile tires are better for cornering, but in terms of straight line acceleration they are probably worse off than higher profile tires. The reason is that low profile tires have stiffer sidewalls that don't hook compared to high profile tires. 18" rims probably have no advantage over 17" rims in terms of handling or performance, they will weight more, but probably look better.

------------------
By making this post I am not claiming to be an expert of any sort on the topic and should not be taken as such. It's just my opinion and worth what you paid for it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by HIBBoyScott:
kkambbak9399 Quote: "my accord has alloy rims(18" VOLK AV3)and they weigh less than da stock tires!!!" - Why are you comparing the weight of your Volk rims to your stock tires?
well..
lexflex was askin if bigger rims would effect his 0-60 time for his stock jetta cos of da weight difference of stock and aftermarket rims...

i was merely comparing the maftermarket weight of my rims with my stock ones..

late

·
Registered
442 Posts
Originally posted by kkambbak9399:

cmon GPR..
no matter how dope a set of rims r, they will never ever look good in 15" or 16"...NEVER!!!
late
I have seen from pretty dope 16" made by Mugen, MF8's and MF10's those are nice. Personally I would rather see some rare 16" than some played out Volks or Racing Harts.

The thing with bigger rims they also bend a lot easier too.

[This message has been edited by GPR (edited December 06, 2000).]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts