Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you call the bars that they put under the altezza? and whats the use of it?

------------------
why worry, be happy!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I think he is talking about those plastic pieces that stick down under the car in front of the wheels.

I think they _might_ be called "spats" or "diffusers" and may have something to do with directing airflow under the car.
Possibly a trick to help lower the "C.D." (reduce drag)

The MR2-Spyder has them too...

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I always referred to them as "fairings" (an aircraft term?)...dunno if that's correct though. <shrug>

I read somewhere that they are supposed to lower the drag, as TEG mentioned. I think the LS430 is supposed to have them too.

[This message has been edited by JW (edited October 09, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I am pretty sure they are there for lowering the drag. Tire is one of the biggest drag force producers on the car, and that's why open wheel cars have such high amount of drag (1000+ lb on some occassions). Anyway, I hope they can put an undertray for the car to gain some downforce and improve the Cd of the car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to bring back the post..

I just found out what those bars are called, there call member brace. Do you guys know any thing about it? any info would be helpful..thanks!!

------------------
why worry, be happy!

·
Registered
816 Posts
TEG's right, those 1' x 1.5" plastic airdams directly in front of each front wheel are called front tire spats. According to a Toyota ad for the MR2 Spyder, spats move air away from turbulent wheelwells and reroute it under the the car. It's not much of a stretch to reason that turbulence in conventional wheelwells (as opposed to rear-relieved, see Ferrari F40 front wheelwells) are pressure risers, effectively pushing the car off the ground. Spats keep the pressurized air spilling off the front lower lip from churning into the wheelwells. There are also tiny spats for the rear wheels, but they're significantly more outboard than the fronts, which leads me to believe that they're meant to reduce the amount of air that can be churned into the wheelwells from the side of the car.

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited October 16, 2000).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
DtEW
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing