Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
OCIS. He had the SRT Stage 2 supercharger, and if everything worked out, he should have the SRT Stage 2 turbo on it right now.

IS300eR, he has a SC system from Area 51.

Some girl around here i believe has a toyomoto Kit on the car.

Another person would be Oscar with his gold IS300. He has the 3S-GE swap and turbo'd.

There are quite a few. Maybe ill be one of them soon? :eek:

·
Premium Member
8,851 Posts
we do under da table shietz around here in the corrupted SoCal. :crazy:

·
Registered
304 Posts
There are two authoritative sources you should review before you make
any mods to the intake/exhaust of a California car.

First, check the California Vehicle Code, which is available on the net, and you will see that NO mods are legal unless approved by Calif Air Resources Board (CARB), and then you can go to the CARB website to see
if a particular manufacturer, or a particular item, such as a PLP supercharger, has been qualified and blessed with a CARB number.

If it's on the CARB site, you can put it on the car legally, and you will not have to remove it prior to any smog inspection.

If it's not on the CARB site, you'll have to return the engine to stock, or
to what APPEARS to be stock, at the time of the smog inspection.

This comments applies, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT THE MODIFICATION INCREASES THE EMISSIONS OF THE VEHICLE!!!

In addition to passing the dyno test for smog, the car must pass a visual
inspection. Most of the time, the inspector won't notice small things, or
won't fail the car if it otherwise qualifies. But if you got a turbo or a blower, it's kind of tough to ignore it on a visual inspection.

Parenthetically, I have two MINOR mods on my car, one of which is
not Calif legal, and one of which I'm uncertain about. First, I have a
5Ziggen muffler, which I put on when I bought the car in November 2000.
I kept the old muffler, however, just in case.

The second mod I did not bother to check the CARB site, so I do not know
if it's legal or not, but it gives you an idea of how hypertechnical the
laws are in this state. I just recently went over to Pep Boys and picked up a new Purolator air filter and replaced the original filter. I suppose
Purolator qualified this thing in California, but if not, then it's an unapproved mod to the engine, and technically not legal.

I'm not too worried about pass/fail on these two items, but anything too far off center and you're not going to get the car signed off.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just posted the foregoing, and the website told me I got 0 dots. Please let me know how big these dots are in real life, and how many grams of
carbohydrates they contain. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
8,851 Posts
carb or no carb, if u'r exhuast is over 95dB than u'r still game over. :wink:

·
Hot Steamy Goodness
1,588 Posts
Going with anything aftermarket in Cali is a risk no matter how you look at it. As long as you're not an ass on the road and scream for attention you should be okay. Smog? It just costs a few extra bills, but it's WELL worth it once you hear the bov under your hood :wink:

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
IS300Chic said:
Going with anything aftermarket in Cali is a risk no matter how you look at it. As long as you're not an ass on the road and scream for attention you should be okay. Smog? It just costs a few extra bills, but it's WELL worth it once you hear the bov under your hood :wink:
Oh so you post but can't return PM's or phone calls... :shame: :wink:

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
IS300Chic said:
SO where do you go for the extra bills to pass?
I would like to very much know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts