Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Brandon,

Thanks for all your very helpful insight on IS300 tires, and I was wondering if you can point me to a right decision on a purchase of a set of A/S tires. (I put this as a post instead of a PM because I thought it may have some instructive value for the .net community in general.)

I have a 2002 IS (17" OEMs), and live in NY, thus can't avoid driving on snow-plowed roads and packed snow in the winter. I somehow survived on my OEM tires last year without damage, but I seriously think that it shortened my life about 6 months (it was like riding on skiis!!), and I don't want a repeat experience this winter.

I would characterize my driving habits as "average" with moments of fast and aggresive driving and I do really enjoy the handling of the car. My wife who also drives the car would definitely be in the "average" category. We drive around 10,000+ miles per year, and have 3 years left on my lease of the vehicle (I don't think I'll be keeping it, although I love the car to death), so I'm hoping for this tire replacement to be my last (meaning that the treadlife would have to be greater than 30,000 miles). Finally, we rent out an apartment, and don't have sufficient storage to keep a set of winter tires/wheels hanging around the apartment, so at this time, all signs are pointing to A/S to replace my OEMs.

The basic question is, given my circumstance, what tire would you recommend with sufficient treadlife and snow/dry handling to meet my needs? I saw your sticky posting, and am leaning towards a set of ContiExtremeContact, but was also wondering about a new set of tires from Continental: The ContiPremierContact. I assume that the Premiers offer less performance and more ride comfort than the Extremes, but don't know about their snow traction capabilities.

I would really appreciate any views you may have about this. Thanks, Brandon! I am sure that I'll be talking to you on the phone at Tirerack soon after I make my decision based on your advice.

·
Registered
103 Posts
:shame:
NO!!!! dont buy the conti extreme contacts....read the reviews....i added one too but tire rack...edit it (never posted it).

the conti extreme contact tires suffer from flat spots and they cannot be properly balanced...you will experience serious vibrations and also you will have more friction with the wheels producing a slight degrade in mpg....from what i have read there must be a bad batch of these tires.

iam serious...i just returned my 215/45 17" Conti Extreme Contact tires for a full refund.... :eek:

i tried to speed balance them 3 times...and had a 4 wheel alignment done!

iam trying out the PZero Nero M+S (all Season)...will have them on in a week.

i can provide you with receipts/proof...that iam not slaming.

goodluck,
regards.

skinnypoo

ps - search for my previous post on these tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.