Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've just finished a transaction with a member in the US for an item, and he has agreed to ship using USPS.

Now the item is valued at $500 USD and I was wondering, what am I looking at in costs with the associated fees.

Anyone know how to calculate it?

The last time I had something shipped USPS, the seller marked the value of the item to $50 USD and I got charged something like $11 CAD in duties/fees.

Am I safe to assume that it will just be 10x that?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I'm not sure if this will help. But personally everything that I have received from the states that was shipped USPS had little to no fees that I had to pay on arrival of the package. I think there was only 1 time I had to pay fees. My S/C kit was shipped USPS and I didn't get charged for anything.

·
Registered
191 Posts
read the above sticky,about clearing it yourself....

I hate UPS they screw me every time.
I bought a set of rims off a member on here and they held them for 2 extra weeks because they wanted new paper work to consolidate all 4 wheels as one package to save me money on duties.Sounds great,but wait they showed up at my door and I had to pay for 3 duty fees instead of 1 which cost me an extra $140 bucks!! All because they messed up the paper work for the second time.
Then I wait a month for the forms to come for a refund.A month after I sent it I got it back saying I was denied my claim for a refund?WTF?I am still fighting with them to settle this matter,all because they messed up..

I did however pick up my Carbon fibre hood and trunk today and cleared it myself...Duty cost $19.76 total !!!!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure if this will help. But personally everything that I have received from the states that was shipped USPS had little to no fees that I had to pay on arrival of the package. I think there was only 1 time I had to pay fees. My S/C kit was shipped USPS and I didn't get charged for anything.
Well the last 2 things I received through USPS were both declared as $50 USD, and both times the duties on both came to about $11 CAD. But both were brand new parts.

I'm surprised you didn't get charged for your S/C. I'm guessing it was described as "used car parts"? Was the real value declared on the form?

read the above sticky,about clearing it yourself....

I hate UPS they screw me every time.
I bought a set of rims off a member on here and they held them for 2 extra weeks because they wanted new paper work to consolidate all 4 wheels as one package to save me money on duties.Sounds great,but wait they showed up at my door and I had to pay for 3 duty fees instead of 1 which cost me an extra $140 bucks!! All because they messed up the paper work for the second time.
Then I wait a month for the forms to come for a refund.A month after I sent it I got it back saying I was denied my claim for a refund?WTF?I am still fighting with them to settle this matter,all because they messed up..

I did however pick up my Carbon fibre hood and trunk today and cleared it myself...Duty cost $19.76 total !!!!

Thanks for the info, but I'm shipping through USPS- United States Postal Service not UPS- brown dudes.

Well the seller is not shipping out till monday, so I do have some time to ask him to add some notes. I'm guessing the "used parts" thing may help from what I've read.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I'm not sure, but from past experiences, if the seller ships it via a gift, you have up to $60USD at no duties/taxes. Not too sure at the percentage calculated over the $60USD mark, but sometimes i've experienced a product valued at $70USD to be duty free. I suppose this is left to the custom's discretion. Normally, they will bill you at the current tax rate in Ontario (13%) based on category/type of goods. If I can recall from Canada Customs, car parts are normally taxed at 13%; however, it would depend largely on the value of the package and the custom/duty officer's leniency. Don't forget that duties often include the fee to Canada Post for clearing the item for the recipient as well.

I find that shipping companies such as BAXGlobal, and the entire process of clearing the item out of customs on your own, for me, was rather easy. The customs officer failed to bill me at the category rate. He gave me a discount and valued the package at a lower cost, so for me, a package valued at $1,100.00 was only billed ~$30.00 for duties/taxes. I suppose being female is always easier. :)

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just had an item shipped from the states marked as $500 value, the border fees and UPS brokerage ended up being $160
UPS as in the dudes in brown right?

i guess i should edit the title, and be specific that i'm only concerned with USPS (United States Postal Service).

thanks for the info on UPS though.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Aldrin, regardless how much duties total to be on an item valued at $500USD through USPS, it will nonetheless be LESS than shipping fees/duties at UPS and/or Fedex.

Also, with the strong Canadian dollar and the high amounts of citizens importing goods from the US ... leniency with Canada Customs might be a little on the lesser side. Just keep this in mind. In addition to, the origin of the item plays a role as well. The NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) may change the percentage of custom tariff as well.

Maybe an alternative would be to ask if the seller can slightly lessen the value of the goods being shipped, even by a $100.00 ... duties would definitely lessen; however, there will be a risk if the product is misplaced/lost. There are always risks involved with the purchasing and shipping of items.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Opps thought this was about UPS

Anyways, USPS has a flat rate of $5 for the brokerage fee, then you just pay the tax on the value. A lot of the time I don't get charged anything with USPS even if the item is over $60 and not marked as a gift. I got my LTuned springs from eBay shipped via USPS, huge heavy box and didn't pay a cent extra when they got here.

·
Maverick
1,511 Posts
Absolutely true. Read the sticky and see..UPS will rook you on brokerage fees. They post these fees on their Canadian website.

The USPS (regular post) is only a FLAT fee of $5 when it arrives here at Canada Post. Much much better...

You still pay GST no matter what service you use...and the duties all depends on the declared value and what tarriffs (if any) the item is classified under.

M

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
oops sorry Aldrin my bad.

I did get charged for receiving the last of the shipment. Which included the blower and some other parts. I was charged $31.xx, however I can't remember what he put as the value. It was a couple hundred at least.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
If the item is valued at $500, the brokerage will be about $100.

I bought my new headlights from there, and they raped me. Now i go over and pick it up.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aldrin, regardless how much duties total to be on an item valued at $500USD through USPS, it will nonetheless be LESS than shipping fees/duties at UPS and/or Fedex.

Also, with the strong Canadian dollar and the high amounts of citizens importing goods from the US ... leniency with Canada Customs might be a little on the lesser side. Just keep this in mind. In addition to, the origin of the item plays a role as well. The NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) may change the percentage of custom tariff as well.

Maybe an alternative would be to ask if the seller can slightly lessen the value of the goods being shipped, even by a $100.00 ... duties would definitely lessen; however, there will be a risk if the product is misplaced/lost. There are always risks involved with the purchasing and shipping of items.
Everything I've bought from the states was originally manufactured in Japan, that and being car parts it never fell under the NAFTA agreement. But I did read into it more, and stuff like clothing is usually exempt.

oops sorry Aldrin my bad.

I did get charged for receiving the last of the shipment. Which included the blower and some other parts. I was charged $31.xx, however I can't remember what he put as the value. It was a couple hundred at least.
That seems about right for being declared a couple hundred.

If the item is valued at $500, the brokerage will be about $100.

I bought my new headlights from there, and they raped me. Now i go over and pick it up.
Even that's not that bad for brokerage. At what I payed for the item, i'm still saving substantially from buying locally.

When you "go over", i'm guessing that was your relatives place in the states?

I'm still considering my options, I'll ask the seller if they could declare the item at a lower value.

Thanks for all the replies lady and gents. :p

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Everything I've bought from the states was originally manufactured in Japan, that and being car parts it never fell under the NAFTA agreement. But I did read into it more, and stuff like clothing is usually exempt.

That seems about right for being declared a couple hundred.

Even that's not that bad for brokerage. At what I payed for the item, i'm still saving substantially from buying locally.

When you "go over", i'm guessing that was your relatives place in the states?

I'm still considering my options, I'll ask the seller if they could declare the item at a lower value.

Thanks for all the replies lady and gents. :p
What is the item and how big?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Typically when I order thru USPS... the most I'll be charged is sales tax plus maybe some fee. Usually if there's a processing fee... it's ~$5... but on larger/more significant items... I've paid $11.

I think you're supposed to be charged sales tax plus the processing fee... but for some strange reason I've only paid GST on the items I've purchased from the States.

So... if they charge you GST only... you should expect ~$36... if they charge you both taxes you should expect ~$76.

Then sadly... if your item is labeled then you'll need to add duty (6.1%?). :pissed:

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Just to clarify, UPS ground has a very high brokerage fee. UPS AIR has no brokerage fee, as the shipping fee includes brokerage fee. However, regardless of which service you use, GST/PST/HST are charge independently of brokerage fee, which is just a service fee for clearing customs.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
lol... I wonder how many more people are going to respond to chunks by talking about UPS... the guys in brown... instead of the US Postal Service like chunks actually is asking about. :lol:

·
Registered
521 Posts
All items i have ever received from US via USPS have had very few fees...i even received a spoiler with no fees at all, no taxes, no brokerage...

·
Registered
638 Posts
yup.. you should be good with USPS. At most, you'll probably get charged about 10-15% from $500. But you may also get charged nothing. I once got a throttle body which was marked at $400 and I got charged nothing. So youll be ok with USPS.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well just wanted to post an update.

I got my package in my mailbox (i'm surprised it fit, i guess the pictures made it look bigger than it was).

The shipper marked it as "used auto parts", and I didn't have to pay anything. Probably why it was dropped in my mailbox directly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts