Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to do the Yellow DRL mod that many of you guys have done.

I have been searching for the past hour and found answers to a lot of my questions, but I'm having trouble finding a bulb that will illuminate the DRL/Hi-beam housing Yellow when the car is off - not just when it's on. I have a GGP so I think that it would look almost "angry" with the DRL/Hi-beam housing illuminated Yellow when the housing is off.

So now that I've covered that - it seems like Nokya, and MTecs are the two most popular Yellow DRL/Hi-Beam bulbs you guys run, but from both sets of pictures, and posts from people running those bulbs - everyone says that it does not illuminate the housing Yellow.

Like I said, I'm looking for something that will match the factory fog-lights Yellow output, and illuminate the housing Yellow when the car is off as well.

Is there anyone out there that has a bulb like this? If so, what are you using? I can't find this answer searching (too specific)...

I did find one post from a guy also in NJ who claims he bought J-Spec-R Yellow bulbs - but Google provides no such bulbs.

Oh yeah - one last question, how does the road look with the fogs, HIDs, and Yellow Hi-beams on?

Sorry for the long post - and any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
565 Posts
to get this right, you want your headlight housing illuminated when your car is off? like completly off keys out and everything? or when the engine is off and the headlights are off?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to get this right, you want your headlight housing illuminated when your car is off? like completly off keys out and everything? or when the engine is off and the headlights are off?
I guess I should have been more clear, I noticed that the Mtecs and the Nokyas don't illuminate the housing Yellow when everything is off, like if I park somewhere and come back out, I'd like to see a subtle hint of Yellow inside the housing (maybe if the the glass of the bulb is Yellow it will do this?)

I don't actually want the bulbs to stay illuminated (burning) when everything is off, I just want it to give off a (for a lack of a better word) natural glow inside the housing. Hope that clears things up.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh ok! you just have to make sure the bulb is actually yellow. maybe piaa's
That's what I was thinking, but the picture that I saw of the Nokyas the glass of the bulb was Yellow - then in a picture I saw here of someone's housing on their IS300, the Nokya doesn't illuminate the housing Yellow? SO, I just wanted to check!

Is anyone here running the PIAAs? I saw them on eBay - but 60 dollars is a little ridiculous...I'll do it if they match and someone here can attest, but won't do it just hoping they will, ya know?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
60 thats it? i have a set of piaa bulbs that were like 119 haha
:wtf: I can't really call you crazy because I was really anal with parts I would put on my last car, but am trying to change now and be a little more "wise" with my money. What PIAAs do you have that were $120? Some kind of "driving lights"?

I'll search now and see if I can see any pictures of the PIAAs installed in the DRL/Hi-beams.

·
Registered
565 Posts
i dont remember which bulbs exactly were that much, but i have another set that was 80 bucks, and those are my drl/ highbeams. but i dont use drl i have them unplugged

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump, no one has Yellow bulbs that match the fog-lights as best as possible and are coated Yellow on the glass?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Under 30 seconds with a google search. Try harder next time.

yellow headlight bulbs - Google Product Search
Wow that was really cool, you must own people all day on the internet. What a life!

Let me bring this down to your level and summarize, since my post was obviously too long and difficult for you to read - you just had to jump right in and be an internet tough guy.

I want bulbs that match the fogs and have a Yellow coating on the bulb. Upon searching - there are reports that quite a bit of Yellow bulbs do NOT match the Yellow color the fogs produce.

Got it?

P.S. - I just checked out your Google search, and wow is all I have to say...I'm actually amazed and speechless...I really am...

Stark - I found out last night that the PIAAs do match, I was just bumping to see if there was anything cheaper that matches, since the PIAAs are $60, and there are other bulbs for ~$20 - was wondering if I could save myself $40.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't know abou the yellow bulbs for sure..
but...

You usually get what you pay for.

My 2 cents..

Good Luck with it...post pics if you make a decision..

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't know abou the yellow bulbs for sure..
but...

You usually get what you pay for.

My 2 cents..

Good Luck with it...post pics if you make a decision..
I know PIAA has a great name, just coming from the other car platforms I've been involved with there has been a rare occasion or two where I've gone against the grain I usually set, and go "I'll try it" and I've had success with buying those parts. (Always been something small/easy.)

I'll probably end up getting the PIAAs because I'm impatient and it seems as though everyone has gone with PIAA, Nokya, or MTec and can't offer any experience (don't mean that in a negative way.)

Oh yeah, to everyone who has offered helpful advice, thank you, I'm not rejecting the advice on the PIAAs at all, just want to see if there is a person or two who can say "yeah, I have ____ bulbs and they were quite a bit cheaper than the PIAAs." :)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
im actually interested in this post and have the same kind of question. unfortunately not that many answers provided.. i dunno why neither.

·
Registered
565 Posts
i think its going to be quite impossible to match the yellow mainly for the fact of the way the fogs are made and work with their almost mini projector piece. matching is going to be quite impossible, kinda like asking for a DRL(non HID) that matches your HID's.

your just going to have to buy all the different lights and go by process of elimination.

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
You can get clear lenses on your fogs...aka JDM fogs.
Then get PIAA bulbs for DRL and fogs. FYI, if you buy PIAA. They have a lifetime warranty on there products. ;)

·
Master Troll
497 Posts
I have yellow DRL bulbs like i think you are talking about. I got mine from ebay, but don't remember from who?

This isn't a very good picture, but here is the yellow drls (full power) and fogs

the full power drls are very yellow, and match really well with the fogs. I drive around with the drls and fogs unless it is actually dark outside.

I don't know if you want the "whole" housing yellow, or just the high beams side, but you can see in the pic that it doesn't light up the whole thing. I think if you wanted that effect, you might have to modify the housing, as the reflector might focus the light out instead of letting it diffuse inside the whole headlight?

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
As far as Piaa's go they will match the yellow foglights closest. Trust me I know because I have tried tons of different yellow emitting bulbs. Only thing with the Piaas is that they will make your high beam housings have a blue reflection in them when they are off, and they dont seem to have a very long life span. Obviously having one burn out sucks cuz you figure your getting what you pay for mucho $$ for halogen bulbs... I actually had one burn out and had one side form a bubble in the glass of the bulb, maybe too hot, I dunno.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As far as Piaa's go they will match the yellow foglights closest. Trust me I know because I have tried tons of different yellow emitting bulbs. Only thing with the Piaas is that they will make your high beam housings have a blue reflection in them when they are off, and they dont seem to have a very long life span. Obviously having one burn out sucks cuz you figure your getting what you pay for mucho $$ for halogen bulbs... I actually had one burn out and had one side form a bubble in the glass of the bulb, maybe too hot, I dunno.
Thanks for the post. I guess I'll just head out with one of the other bulbs, I don't want Blue in the housing, so I'll just go with one of the other bulbs. +reps.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts