Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for all you IS300 owners. I am considering purchasing one, but live in a snowy climate. Also am considering Audi A4 or A6 with all-wheel-drive.

How is the IS300 in the snow?? I have always owned front wheel drive cars.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Don't get a RWD car. They suck to drive in snow.

I would recommend an Acura TL or CLs. They are front wheel drive, have a more powerful engine, a nicer interior, more features, and all for a much more reasonable price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
soundspeed, you have no basis for your statement. You should check out what Motor Trend have to say about RWD with traction control (IS300 has traction control) in 2/1999 issue. Quote "..rivaling all-wheel drive in its effectiveness".
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
FWD or RWD, if you have summer tires on the car, you should switched to snow tires. Even the Audi S4 is bad in the snow without snow tires, according to the S4 board. If I had an IS300, I'd switch to snow tires in the winter - I have a BMW 325i, which came with an extra set of wheels & snow tires.
Oh, and if I had a CL or TL, I'd sell it to my grandma.

Originally posted by sigss:
soundspeed, you have no basis for your statement. You should check out what Motor Trend have to say about RWD with traction control (IS300 has traction control) in 2/1999 issue. Quote "..rivaling all-wheel drive in its effectiveness".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38,938 Posts
Well, AWD will probably be your best bet in that situation. The Audis have one of the highest rated and most sophisticated AWD systems on the market, and are known for their capabilities. BMW has new AWD models too if they push the right buttons. The RWD with trac control is a good alternative but just won't be as effective at keepin ya on the road. As a last resort, go FWD.

[This message has been edited by MikeLS (edited November 16, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by MikeLS (edited November 16, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
My last car was an AWD GSX and man, AWD rules when you race because you just GRIP at the line. As for snow, never an issue but Audi has the better AWD system for sure. I too would sell my CLS to my grandma IF I wanted a POS BMW that has crappy reliability and maintenance record. I would have more time and money to dump into my teutonic tank than my grandma who would need a RELIABLE FASTER car than the 325.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
I love it when everyone rips on BMW but is so desperately trying to be BMW. Funny that now everyone is jumping into the sports sedan market segment.

Look at it this way, have any of these companies ever built anything like the M3, M5 or M6? The Type R is the closest any of them have come and that was 8 years later. The E28 M5 was just FEROCIOUS when compared to cars of its time. People now brag about 300hp V8s when BMW was selling an inline 6 with that much power ten years ago.

------------------
S38
91 M5
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Traction control helps quite a bit, but it can only do so much. My dad has a 525i with traction control and he still gets stuck occasionally. He has all season tires as opposed to snow tires, however.

When I had my 525i I finally broke down and bought some Blizzaks and that made the car really good in the snow. Granted, we didn't get much more than a couple of inches at a time that winter though.

If you end up buying an IS, I would highly recommend snow tires.

Jeff

Originally posted by sigss:
soundspeed, you have no basis for your statement. You should check out what Motor Trend have to say about RWD with traction control (IS300 has traction control) in 2/1999 issue. Quote "..rivaling all-wheel drive in its effectiveness".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Hey maybe if Lexus or Acura built the BMW it would be on the road more than on the rack. Your recent horrid maintenance reports speak for themselves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
And slow and boring. None of my BMW's have been maintenance nightmares. I have a good friend who just traded in her ES300 after the transmission failed at 60k miles. Every company has their lemons. Though I admit that slow detuned cars require less maintenance than high-revving, high compression, high performance engines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,339 Posts
I think the most important factor are your tires, rather than fwd/rwd/awd. Make sure you get good snow tires.

2nd factor. Driving skills. If it snows or rains, slow down.

-crontab -l

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Originally posted by billsheila:
Question for all you IS300 owners. I am considering purchasing one, but live in a snowy climate. Also am considering Audi A4 or A6 with all-wheel-drive.

How is the IS300 in the snow?? I have always owned front wheel drive cars.

Thanks.

Billshiela,

It depends on how much money are you willing to spend, and would you like it new or a used car? If you are looking for a car with its price close to IS300's price range and your main concern is snow, I would suggest:
For new cars:
Audi A4 2.8 Quatrro, Audi A4 1.8Turbo quatrro, BMW 325 Xi, Subaru AWD.

For used cars:
A lot of them



Just my $0.02
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
My 325i hasn't cost me a cent yet, and buying it cost me $10,000 less than a CL-S, so you won't see me regretting that purchase any time soon. Besides, I can FIT in the 325i, and having driven the CL-S, the 325i is a lot more fun, I like the small car feel, not the boat feel of the CL-S. Something about a 50/50 weight balance, but I guess you wouldn't know much about that, driving a 68/32 weight balance car.

Originally posted by comptechcls:
My last car was an AWD GSX and man, AWD rules when you race because you just GRIP at the line. As for snow, never an issue but Audi has the better AWD system for sure. I too would sell my CLS to my grandma IF I wanted a POS BMW that has crappy reliability and maintenance record. I would have more time and money to dump into my teutonic tank than my grandma who would need a RELIABLE FASTER car than the 325.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all for the thoughts on this topic. Lots of suggestions pointing to the A4, which I have considered, but somehow the A4's are getting tiring (perhaps just because they have been around with same style for what is it...4 years now?)

When I test drove the IS300 I was impressed, but the 10 minute run just didn't seem enough to get a good feel for the car.

Again, thanks to all for your time.
Regards.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
bill, noticed you're in MA, Ira Lexus was advertising IS300s for $2750 off MSRP. The A4 debuted in the US in 1995, so it's 5 years old. New one will be much improved if you can wait a year.

Originally posted by billsheila:
Thanks to all for the thoughts on this topic. Lots of suggestions pointing to the A4, which I have considered, but somehow the A4's are getting tiring (perhaps just because they have been around with same style for what is it...4 years now?)

When I test drove the IS300 I was impressed, but the 10 minute run just didn't seem enough to get a good feel for the car.

Again, thanks to all for your time.
Regards.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
ckolsen
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing
Top