Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend had brought his Audi S4 over and I noticed that the leather is similar to that on my GS400. It's silky smooth, just like the leather in the other Lexus Models. However, I went to my father's 2000 740iL and noticed that the leather is not soft and has a rough texture. The whole BMW range has that "rough leather." I like the Lexus Leather texture much more. I wonder why the leather interior in BMWs are like that..?
Eric...

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I think leatherette is only available on the base 3-series, so EricK's father's 7-series would have real leather.

BMW literature says that they use Montana leather. Perhaps that quality of leather is rougher than other types.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Neah, BMW leatherette is not real leather and it is the base option. Most (probably over 95%) BMW buyers opt to pay extra for real leather seats. But even the real ones, much like those in MB, feels rough and kinda cheap. I like Lexus's creamy leather much, much better. If only they have more of it in the IS....

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My father's 740iL has the Montana Leather interior. Leatherette is not available on the 7 series BMW. .... I definitely like the Lexus leather much better. It's silky smooth and, and softer. I was thinking maybe one reason that BMW uses the rougher leather is because you don't slide around so easily in that. My GS400 has very nice smooth leather but it's also slippery and I slide around when I go around corners. In the BMW, this does not happen. So I guess it's a trade off for some people, although I do think the Lexus and S4 leather is so much better than the Montana leather offered in BMWs....
Eric....
Well to me BMWs have inferior interiors..

·
Registered
387 Posts
Eric,

what color of leather in your GS400?

I have noticed that Ivory Leather in general is softer than gray leather for Lexus. Any body know why?

I perfer the feel of the Ivory, but is lazy to clean it, so had been chosing the Gray ones.

One more thing interesting is that for special leather edition ES300, the leather is black and have the rough taxture we see in the BMWs. So I guess it's not the matter of good or bad, just different.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yamaot,
I have a Cinnabar GS400 with Ivory Leather. I didn't know that the color of the leather made a difference its texture. I wasn't saying that the smooth leather was of better than the rough Montana leather in BMWs, but simply saying that I prefer it. You can go to a dept. store and pay $150-$200 for a leather jacket, which would be hard and rough in texture....or you can also pay $600 and buy a Ralph Lauren Polo leather jacket that's very smooth and soft. The Smooth leather in Lexus/Audi S4 just has a more expensive feel to it in comparison to BMWs..
Eric...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts