Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AFter installing the black box on my car, i've noticed I'm getting 50-70 more miles per tank every tank. I can't believe it.... I used to get 280-300 miles per tank and now I reach 350 and yesterday I was at 359 with still one line left above the empty line. Anyone else with an improvement like this??

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The "black box" is a product produced by a shop in California called Area 51. It's a piggy back ECU that modifies A/F readings and creates more power and now apparently better gas mileage.

You can use the black box w/any intake system you prefer and even use it w/the OEM intake system.

I'm planning on using a black box w/the OEM intake and my Blitz SUS filter.

Cost is about $220-$240.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
IMO warranty issues are left to each individual dealership.

One word of caution. Because you are tapping into the OEM ECU wiring, this act by itself may void the warranty w/the ECU. This is significant since ECUs are expensive.

This issue is a concern to me and has been one of the reasons why up to this point, I haven't installed either a piggy-back ECU or S-AFC unit.

The other side of the warranty issue is that you have rights afforded under several federal laws that protect consumers and there is a lot of information regrading the Magnusson-Moss Act.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
hi risk!!!
i have a question for you..
i was planning on the same combo of a black box from area51 and a drop in filter.. but do u know what the power gains ( if any ) will be ??
i plan on getting the BLITZ filter when the re-release it, or maybe the TOMS filter.... i heard that they are fixing some problem with the blitz, although i know u say that yours is ok.. (lucky you!)

thanks

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
dp,

There was a thread a while back about dyno numbers produced by the Black Box in conjunciton with other intakes. Area 51 also posted results of their nearest competitor SRT.

I would state that the gains would be really similar to the black box and OEM intake which netted an add'l 10hp/10 ft lb torque.

I don't think you'll gain that much more w/the aftermarket filter over stock. Most of the gains will come from the black box. The aftermarket filter will just allow greater flow and probably last longer than OEM.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just removed the black box from my IS. I have a stock intake and just added the black box. After a few days of use I experienced faint knocking coming from the engine and the check engine light turned on. I checked the wiring again, unhooked the negative battery wire for a few minutes. A day later the check engine light was back on. Now I have had the black box out of the car for a few days and there has been no problems at all. Anyone else experiencing these problems? I plan on contacting area 51 today or tomorow.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
yea, thats kinda what i was thinking, ijust wasnt sure about the actual BB..thats all...
thanks alot!!!

by the way, where do u live?? i live in cali..

·
Registered
402 Posts
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang that's a huge mpg gain. i get like 300 per tank. do you drive a lot of freeway?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm, 9 posts, and only one responding to the mileage
It's a mixture of both, but my habits haven't changed... It just started once I installed it. I thought the first time was just a fluke in my habits.. But i've had 4 tanks now with 350 miles each tank if not more...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah I still want to sell it... But I'm using it until then... Anyone interested still... PM me, and we'll talk price.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
the "black boxes" are basically hks afr's or a potentiometer that leans out the air flow meter signal to the ecu, and essentially gives better gas mileage.

at idle, our cars run very lean, around 16.5:1, but at full throttle, it ranges from 12.5 to 11.8 to 1, depending on what rpm you are at.

i should make "gte's box" and sell it for $150 bucks

·
2,909 Posts
Any chance TRD will come out with a "bb"? Then warrenties should not be an issue. I hope so, I'd buy it just for the gas mileage, heck if I get more power too why not?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts