Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, for the E-shift guys, do you drive around normally with the Power on?
I find that the car lacks pull in 1st, but after that first shift, it pulls much more strongly. Is this normal? Maybe its the weight of the car?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I drive alot with the ect pwr on
it shouldnt make a big difference on launch - unless you really mash it..
With turbo it comes in handy when I dont want to use e-shift, because the trans will downshift easier. I do find myself filling up on the gas twice as much when I drive with it on.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
I drive with the button on all the time. I got used to the more pressure senstive feel after driving around with it for months. I turned it off yesterday and I hate driving without it! You have to push to pedal down a lot more to get to higher rpms.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
What exactly does the ECT PWR ON do?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
AltezzaBob said:
it shift gear at a higher rpm, giving you more agressive driving style... :D

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
get the TBKO shift kit and TECK grounding kit then ull love the e shift no?
:lol:

i always leave the ECT power on.. less mashing involved..

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
10secondIS said:
scottschoe said:
AltezzaBob said:
"changes shift points for more aggressive driving" -salesman

If I really want to go, i gate-shift. E-shift frustrates me.
same here. i NEVER use e-shift
u want good e/t times for the 1/4 on the track...

using e-shift is essential....

whereas straight auto and flooring it will result in slightly less times....

all u guys who have taken it onto the track would understand that i'm sure...

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I drive with the EXT pwr on all the time. for that lil amount of gas you save I'd rather have fun driving around. I dont think a few bucks is worth the moderate drive vs Gunnin fun!
And in my opinion Eshift really doesn't make much of a difference racing, i find it more useful for downshifts for turns etc..... any opinions?

·
Registered
248 Posts
My everyday driving preferences:
ECT Always on
TRAC Off
Gate Shift from 1st thru 4th
E-Shift from 4th to 5th
Reverse process when down shifting

E-Shifting is not as enjoyable to me as Gate Shifting...my preferences only.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
thaiboxer said:
My everyday driving preferences:
ECT Always on
TRAC Off
Gate Shift from 1st thru 4th
E-Shift from 4th to 5th
Reverse process when down shifting

E-Shifting is not as enjoyable to me as Gate Shifting...my preferences only.
Same here, I find myself gate shifting all the time. I feel like I have a lot more control, and it seems quicker than the E-shift. I damn near perfected it and can shift at the highest rpm possible before the rev limiter kicks in. Once you start using it, you'll perfect it and never stop.

I'm always worried that it isn't good for the tranny though. Can anybody enlighten me? It acts basically the same way as e-shift so I wouldn't think it's harming anything.

Here's a tip for Gate Shifters...well more like a fun thing to do:

On the highway at 70 mph, make sure it's in M. So if you pushed down it would engage 3rd. Slam on the pedal and literally 2 tenths later push the shifter into 3rd. If you time it correctly, floor it and then shift into 3rd almost (few tenths before) at the same time, the car will kick hard and give you a very good start.

Not to mention, if you shift at 82mph or so, you will NOT have any lag in fourth gear! Same with if you floor it at 60 mph. But if you floor it in 4th gear at 80 it's still getting stuck at 5k rpms...piece of shit :pissed:

Someone try the downshift at 70 and tell me if the same thing happens

·
Registered
603 Posts
UpTownIS300er said:
And in my opinion Eshift really doesn't make much of a difference racing, i find it more useful for downshifts for turns etc..... any opinions?
That's exactly what E-shift is designed to do. Notice how "down" buttons are easily accessible while "up" buttons are hidden in the back? The owner manual says you can control downshift but it never claims you can control the upshifts. People who don't understand this will say E-shift is useless.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
sleepy said:
UpTownIS300er said:
That's exactly what E-shift is designed to do. Notice how "down" buttons are easily accessible while "up" buttons are hidden in the back? The owner manual says you can control downshift but it never claims you can control the upshifts. People who don't understand this will say E-shift is useless.
exactly..which is why I enjoy using it at the 1/.4 drag strip, shifting at redline.....yummy :p

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Gate Shifting = Putting the shiftknob on M, downshifting to "3" for a harder push into higher gear.

Basically, it's like manual shifting, without using the e-shift button.

Correct?

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
BugginOuT said:
Gate Shifting = Putting the shiftknob on M, downshifting to "3" for a harder push into higher gear.

Basically, it's like manual shifting, without using the e-shift button.

Correct?
Well gate shifting is def. more bad ass when it's compared to e-shifting. Obviously you start in L (1st), shift to 2 by moving to the left, shift to 3 by moving up (be careful, newbies doing this sometimes get excited and push to hard sending it to neutral), then to M (4th). 5th gear you can't shift into, but when you're wot, you won't be doing that until you're at around 117-118 mph. Advantages of e-shift and gate shifting is that you can seriously hold gears longer then if you just floored it.

Best example is fourth gear...just flooring it, it'll shift at 110 mph. If you gate shift or e-shift, you can actually reach up to 117 which can be critical if you're racing.

Downshifting is a lot of fun with gate shifting also. If you time it correctly (timing is EVERYTHING with it) you can downshift, and once you do it a lot and master it, give it a little gas and it will be a immitation- rev match which puts a smile on my face :D

It's very fun!

Oh and one more thing: Don't push hard. First timers get excited and think they'll do better if they push the shifter harder or something...who knows. Concentrate on the rpms (don't crash though) and you will know wexactly withint tenths of a second when to shift so it will just barely reach the rev-limiter. It's all about paying attention and expeirence. Shift gently...it should be quick, but precise. I remember I was a bit erratic in the beginning but it's all part of learning gate shifting.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts