Lexus IS Forum banner

Question for Teg

860 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  JW 
#1 ·
Teg,
I saw the MR2's brouche and a little picture is showing the engine with something like a Timing Chain. I am wondering is it really a timing chain in MR2? if it is, does timing chain require replacement like the timing belt?
I know a tread has mentioned about this, but I hope you don't mind ansering it one more time!

AndyBoy

#2 ·
My MR2 definately has a belt. As far as I know ALL 1984-1995 MR2s used a timing belt.

I think the new MR2-Spyder (2000+) has switched to a timing chain with the 1ZZ-FE engine.

A chain can last alot longer than a belt but is more costly to replace.

#4 ·
Here's some info about the 1ZZ-FE (the Corolla-installed ones):

1ZZ-FE
4 cylinders
79mm bore x 91.5mm stroke, 1794cc, 16 valve DOHC narrow angle
US: 120HP, Japan: 130hp (with VVT-i)

Open deck, die-cast aluminum block with cast iron cylinder liners
Full size main bearing girdle with cast iron bearing caps
Laser clad valve seats (read "very thin") allow larger
intake and exhaust valves.
10:1 CR, "generous tapered squish area", runs on 87 octane (US).
Intake in front, exhaust in back, intake manifold apparently tuned
for low & midrange power. Exhaust manifold very short 4-into-1.
77 pounds (27%) lighter than 7A-FE
Originally designed as a gasoline direct-injection engine
Sequential multiport fuel injection
Direct Ignition System
Uses a timing chain.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks to:
Jeff Watson (jwatson@toyotaworld.com)
Chris Conlon

#6 ·
Yup, the 2ZZ-GE has VVTL-i, a wider valve angle, larger bore, and shorter stroke (and slightly smaller displacement), among other things.

Originally posted by TEG:
And the 1ZZ-FE makes 138hp in the MR2-Spyder (and 140hp in the Celica GT) in part because of slightly higher compression.

The 2ZZ-GE is basically the same engine with a different head and makes 180hp in the Celica GT-S.

#8 ·
The 180hp engine *IS* the VVTL-i

They (MR2-Spyder, Celica GT, Celica GT-S) all have the same "ZZ" aluminum engine block and all have a 1.8 liter displacement.

They are all also 4 valve per cylinder double overhead cams.

The 180hp VVTL-i version has higher compression and more comlicated variable valve timing (with additional variable lift).

I think it has a higher redline as well.

#9 ·
Ah, yes, you are correct, the 2ZZ-GE is 2cc bigger than the 1ZZ-FE. I mixed them up.

If anyone cares, the 2ZZ-GE's bore x stroke is 82mm x 85mm.

Originally posted by HIBBoyScott:
Huh? Isn't the engine with the VVTL-i larger than the VVT-i one? The 140hp 1.8L Celica engine is something like 2cc smaller than the 180hp 1.8L Celica engine.

[This message has been edited by JW (edited June 08, 2000).]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.