Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there was an easy way to turn my fog lights on while my parking lights were on. I wanted to see if there was a way besides running wires or anything. Maybe jumping out a relay or the switch i dunno?????

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I am going to investigate that myself...

My friend just got a new BMW 328i, and his fog lights can be run with parking lights only.

Also, his "steptronic" lets him have more manual control over his shifting than our "overly intelligent" eShift.

Grrrr...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man i apperciate it. I had a 95 sho before the lex and i just jumped out the fog light switch and got it to work. Suppositly it is some law that you can't do that and that is why alot of car company's don't set it up like that. For the excpetion ( BMW, jeep,.....)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Originally posted by TEG:
I am going to investigate that myself...

My friend just got a new BMW 328i, and his fog lights can be run with parking lights only.

Also, his "steptronic" lets him have more manual control over his shifting than our "overly intelligent" eShift.

Grrrr...
A. Do you mean your friend just got a new 330i (rather than 328) or did he buy a 2000?

B. When I was at the Lexus Performance Tour, one of the hot lap drivers was manually shifting the car not with e-shift but with the shifter by pulling it forward and backward through D/3/2. (Not quite the same thing as the shifters in MB/BMW/Audi/Porsche which let you put it in D and then manually select the full range of gears (subject to rev. limiter override) by moving the shifter left or right, but perhaps it's still a step ahead of e-shift.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yeah, my friend got one of the last 2000 328i's.

Also, I was at the IS Tour, and I too noticed (as you said) the "pro" drivers were not using e-Shift, but rather the center console. I also noticed they started in 2nd, and only used 2nd or 3rd for the whole course. Their goal was to go through corners fast, so starting in 2nd was OK since they weren't trying to burn rubber off the line, rather just hold a decent speed through the corners to show off the handling.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
TEG, I have found using the gate over the eshift works best for my G4.

Originally posted by TEG:
Yeah, my friend got one of the last 2000 328i's.

Also, I was at the IS Tour, and I too noticed (as you said) the "pro" drivers were not using e-Shift, but rather the center console. I also noticed they started in 2nd, and only used 2nd or 3rd for the whole course. Their goal was to go through corners fast, so starting in 2nd was OK since they weren't trying to burn rubber off the line, rather just hold a decent speed through the corners to show off the handling.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
I have a light fetish.

I'd love to have my fogs working seperately than my headlights...park lights even.

TEG , you have a service manual or something or are you just good at this stuff.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
>> TEG , you have a service manual or something or are you just good at this stuff.

So far to date, I had done all my other mods just by "common engineer sense" (I guess I am good at this stuff), but when I got to the mod to make the foglights work without the headlights I became stumped by the wiring.

I went by my local Lexus dealer and they kindly let me look at the IS300 wiring diagram for a little while, so I took some notes and figured out how to do the foglight mod.

By the way - if you want to learn about my new foglight mod, go here:
http://www.is300.net/forum_new/Forum4/HTML/000312.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
TEG
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing