Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curous if you have thought about doing a trunk prop kit? I was reading another members post about how he did this mod. I was just looking at your products on website. I thought this could be a great next project for you. ;) I'm sure a lot of people would be interested.

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
suggestion: why not PM him? Also, why would one need a trunk prop kit? My trunk pops open and stays up when I press the remote. :confused:

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
^ Exactly, why the need for a trunk prop?

A question for FIGS, I am curious are you going to start making props for the doors? :lol:

Reactions: baadhabit

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
suggestion: why not PM him? Also, why would one need a trunk prop kit? My trunk pops open and stays up when I press the remote. :confused:
Just trying to create a discussion about the idea. General interset could be gauged by other's post. As for why...My trunk only pops up about 2 inches. It's convenient to have a trunk fully open when your hands are full. :approve:

BTW, at least its not the typical newbie post about wheel sizes and mufflers etc... ;)

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
+rep for a unique and refreshing newbie post :lol:

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
my trunk doesn't open. i have to pull it up when i push the unlock:lol:
Could be a number of things. I would say start of by treating the trunk seal with some sort of rubber treatment. Most of the time the seal will stick to the trunk.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I dont think the trunk mechanism is the same on all years. Mine has never fully opened automatically. It just pops up when released. Neither did my buddies '02. I've seen others that have. I don't know if this was a modification or stock. Anyone?

·
Registered
925 Posts
I dont think the trunk mechanism is the same on all years. Mine has never fully opened automatically. It just pops up when released. Neither did my buddies '02. I've seen others that have. I don't know if this was a modification or stock. Anyone?
If you've got any spoiler other than a lip spoiler, the weight keeps the trunk from popping open up all the way. i've got a CF trunk and spoiler, so that shet is so lightweight that it flies open...so in this case some trunk struts would be nice..

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Bumping this up. I dont mind having shocks too for my trunk. Mine doesnt pop open either. It doesnt even move when it gets unlock, you'll see a small jump but it doesnt even open. I assume its the oem lip spoiler weighing it down, but would be helpful to have something open it all the way when I have my hands full.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
I started designing a trunk prop more from an audio standpoint. Get rid of those stupid torsion springs in favor of using that area for an amp rack. I never got back to it, but if there is enough interest I can revisit.

Fig
let's revisit ;)

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
my trunk pops open about 4 inches. This is why we have elbows when we have full hands, Ive never had an issue getting my trunk open with full hands. Hell ive had more issues hitting the trunk button with full hands vs opening it by hand with hands full. If there was a strut i would think it take much more force to get the lid all the way up with the button vs anything else right? I could be wrong.

D

·
Vendor
4,813 Posts
yeah there have been two problems. One is the guys with CF trunks, the trunk bows under the force of the spring. The second issue would be the space taken by the springs in there already. I am not sure I would want a trunk that comes flying up when I hit the release. Is this what you guys are talking about? Strut forces can be changed so I could see options, but my preference would be to mimic stock and make it take up less space.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
mines a 50/50 thing. half the time it gently opens the other half it doesnt

1 - 20 of 22 Posts