Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those of you who have swapped in a new motor what have you done for engine management?

are you running piggy backs off the IS300 OEM ecu?
running the IS300 OEM parallel with the new motor ECU with piggyback?
running the IS300 OEM ECU with Standalone?
Full Standalone?

at the moment, i don't have plans on going standalone, so the first 2 are what's interesting me the most. Of the piggyback routes, the easiest is running the IS300 ecu with a piggy back. Is there a reason to run the new motor's ECU if you are going to piggy back it anyways? With good tuning, i think the benefit of the base maps on the new ECU would be negated no?

If you ran parallel ECU's could you please shed some light on your wiring setup and ECU placement?

Thanks!

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Crap... wrong forum. Mods, could you please move this to Go Faster? thanks!

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
moved...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
for those of you who have swapped in a new motor what have you done for engine management?

are you running piggy backs off the IS300 OEM ecu?
running the IS300 OEM parallel with the new motor ECU with piggyback? - I don't think this is even possible
running the IS300 OEM ECU with Standalone?
Full Standalone?
totally depends on what swap you are referring too... almost every single one will require you to run at least a piggy back of some sort though... for OEM[like] reliability though most people end up moving on to a standalone of some sort.

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm planning a verossa swap, but since I don't think anyone here has done one, i think the same concept applies for Aristo and Supra swap.

for those who have swapped, have you ran the IS300 ECU with a piggyback and good tuning? or do you run parallel ECU's with Piggybacks?

thanks!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I ran stock ecu with a piggyback and never really got it right. I know am running a full standalone.
If I could do it all over I would run parallel ecu'sif I could not repin for a close match ecu and just piggyback for tuning

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I run the stock ECU with an AEM EMS. Stock ecu controls cruise control, gauge cluster, transmission, and a few of the other cars systems. The AEM EMS strictly controls the fuel injectors and ignition coils and nothing else. It's kind of a pain to set it up correctly to run like stock...but in the end I think it's worth the effort. Obviously the easiest way to get it done is to run a piggyback with the stock ecu. However I found out that's not the best way to go about it.

Back when I was NA-T and running a piggyback the turbo spooled slower and engine response wasn't so great. With the EMS I have waaaay more control over fuel and ignition timing. I got my turbo to hit the same 15psi full boost almost 1000rpm sooner, not to mention I probably gained a good 75hp or so with the EMS and the throttle response is much better now. The car was barely able to break traction in 2nd gear back then with 265 width rear tires. Now, I break traction all day long in 3rd gear with my new 295 width Michelin PS2 rear tires.

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I run the stock ECU with an AEM EMS. Stock ecu controls cruise control, gauge cluster, transmission, and a few of the other cars systems. The AEM EMS strictly controls the fuel injectors and ignition coils and nothing else. It's kind of a pain to set it up correctly to run like stock...but in the end I think it's worth the effort. Obviously the easiest way to get it done is to run a piggyback with the stock ecu. However I found out that's not the best way to go about it.

Back when I was NA-T and running a piggyback the turbo spooled slower and engine response wasn't so great. With the EMS I have waaaay more control over fuel and ignition timing. I got my turbo to hit the same 15psi full boost almost 1000rpm sooner, not to mention I probably gained a good 75hp or so with the EMS and the throttle response is much better now. The car was barely able to break traction in 2nd gear back then with 265 width rear tires. Now, I break traction all day long in 3rd gear with my new 295 width Michelin PS2 rear tires.
Hey Jeff, which piggyback were you running at first? are you attributing the increase in performance because of the larger maps that the AEM has? before last year few if any piggybacks controlled ignition timing. Currently there's a handful on the market that can control fuel and timing and still let VVT-i do its thing. Are you using the EMS to control VVT-i or are you letting the OE ECU do it?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
edit: sorry didn't mean to thread jack...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts