Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please state your tranny upgrades and i would like to know how often do you guys downshift?

·
Registered
983 Posts
SRT vb and tranny cooler. I down shift all the time (as in engine brake).

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Toyo VB upgrade, B&M Tranny Cooler.. when I mash down, it will downshift fairly quickly.
I let it auto downshift. When I'm on the line with someone, then I switch over to manual e-shift mode..

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
toyomoto VB upgrade and tranny cooler. i downshift just about everytime i stop just so i dont wear out the brake pads. i usually downshift manually w/eshift when i wanna pass or something like that, everynow and then i'll let the auto do it itself.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great info guys, thanks. sounds like most of you are still downshift like usual with the cooler and vb upgrade. i was just curious, thanks.

keep it coming.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
NiNE said:
toyomoto VB upgrade and tranny cooler. i downshift just about everytime i stop just so i dont wear out the brake pads. i usually downshift manually w/eshift when i wanna pass or something like that, everynow and then i'll let the auto do it itself.
why downshift in an automatic? really is no point since the torque converter has a slight stall in it. also your brake pads will last and are replaceable, cheaper and easier than wearing down your engine and tranny.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How much hp/tq to the wheels can a auto hold with new TC and Valve body on a IS300. I know a 350Z that I have can hold up to 600wrhp on a aftermarket TC and Valve Body, but after that you will need to upgrade the clutch packs and acouple other things for strengh reasons.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont know about the TC, but with the tranny cooler and vb, auto tranny should be able to hold up and run nicely w/o problems for up to 400 rwhp.

·
Registered
983 Posts
AltezzaBob said:
why downshift in an automatic? really is no point since the torque converter has a slight stall in it. also your brake pads will last and are replaceable, cheaper and easier than wearing down your engine and tranny.
Wearing out ur tranny by downshifting? I dont think thats possible. Expecially with a vb upgrade. There is more stress and wear on the clutch packs without a vb upgrade. And downshifting increases your pad life by more than 50 percent (if you do it properly).

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
PFS 2nd gen VB upgrade with B&M Tranny Cooler.
The car shift more agressive then the stock's, imo it is much better than the stock's. On my stage 1, without the VB upgrade, my car will shift up slower. During hard driving, it will linger for about 0.5 to 1 second (worse on 2nd to 3rd) on the red line before shifting up.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pfs gen2 vb? what is the difference btw their gen1 and the gen2?

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
HomieDntPlayThat said:
Wearing out ur tranny by downshifting? I dont think thats possible. Expecially with a vb upgrade. There is more stress and wear on the clutch packs without a vb upgrade. And downshifting increases your pad life by more than 50 percent (if you do it properly).
You PUT more STRESS, less wear on the clutch packs WITH a VB Upgrade. The line pressure is increased so much that the clutch packs have alot more pressure on them between shifts. Not so much during downshifting if you are off the gas(which you should be since its automatic). Why would you wear down the engine and other rotating mass assemblies rather than 50 dollar brake pads? The rotor is always resurfaceable for a few bucks. Hmm.. 1000+ for a GE shortblock + labor + parts. And 1000 for a decent GE shortblock is being ultra cheap. I never downshift. Our brake pads can withstand ALOT more heat and abuse than 90% of people normally put them through and go through. 99% of the vehicles now are also capable of withstanding or alot more abuse, heat and more abuse. The only time you see glazing or scoring of rotors are those that PUT them through it and races. I also neutral drop all my cars (Manual) and use the brakes unless im in a situation that i need to engine brake and put the load on the engine and drivetrain rather than brakes/tires to prevent lockup.

Bottom line: Our brakes can handle the abuse, heat from a neutral drop stop. It is tons cheaper to replace brakes than engine and parts.

·
Registered
983 Posts
The engine doesnt weat out due to engine braking. The trans... as far as I know... should be fine with it also. I know the brake pads are cheap but I just choose to engine brake becasue of the feeling and control when I drive. Also.. if it were bad for our trans. we wouldnt have tiptronic.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
TDLI said:
pfs gen2 vb? what is the difference btw their gen1 and the gen2?
Ray gave me some lengthy explanation on the difference between their 1st and 2nd gen, try calling PFS and ask about it.

It took them less than 3 days to ship it back to me.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
AltezzaBob said:
Because i have a turbo, and my car shifts very hard if i dont shift it myself. Usually i'll shift at around 2500 or 3000 rpm, but i let off just a second to let the engine idle down then shift that way i dont get the bump from normal shifting. Also, i'm barely even letting the engine or tranny brake for me. I just downshift when i'm stopping cuz i gotta shift it manually again. I use e-shift and can only go to 2nd gear, but between 1st and 2nd gear it doesn't bump at all.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
PFS built auto!! WORKS FLAWLESSLY!!!!!

·
Registered
799 Posts
TE Valve Body Upgrade & tranny cooler. I usually downshift when I'm approaching slow traffic, at a dead stop or if someone wants to run on the highway. :)

I've had mine setup installed a little over a year with no problems.

*knock on wood*

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Big V said:
or if someone wants to run on the highway. :)
thanks for the info. this is what i will be doing mostly if i downshift. good to know its holding up strong.

how does the TE VB shift?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts