Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay well i live in NY

now i have 0 pts but i received a ticket about 2 months ago for 88 in a 45....that leads to 11 points.....however i spoke to the lady at the DMV and she states that because my previous record of 5 points just went away like last month that if convicted of any points when i fight the 11 pt ticket that the 5 will come back on my license

and then i have to start the 18 month cycle all over again to lose the points from the day convicted of the 11 points if i receive them

i did get a lawyer but a lawyer is never guaranteed to work

so i was thinking besides slowing down which i have done a friend brought up to me that when he moved from florida to ny and got his license transferred over that his points did not follow him

now i was thinking if i change my address to my cousins house in NJ and get some magazines or whatever shipped there.....and get a NJ license....would that work????? and i then have a driving record only in NY with points while a license with 0 points for new jersey?????

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
you have such things as an 11 pt. ticket in NY? have you thought about going to driving school to gain some +pts.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i went to driving school a little more than a year ago

in ny we can go every 18 months

i think i can go again in February but thing is if im found guilty of the 11 pt ticket then the previous 5 i had are brought back now cuz of the way NY's point system works meaning i'll have 16 pts now

with driving school you can only get 4 off leaving me with 12 pts :cry:

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
in NY there is a such a thing as a level II traffice school... it's a 12 hour course for people who can't go to the 8 hour driving school... go to court, and ask the judge for that.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
12 hours :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

i'll def do that though if thats what it takes

oh well 2 days aint bad.....it is over a period of 2 days correct :lol:

i guess i'll be doin a lot of :boring:

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
clearlexus said:
Okay well i live in NY

now i have 0 pts but i received a ticket about 2 months ago for 88 in a 45....that leads to 11 points.....however i spoke to the lady at the DMV and she states that because my previous record of 5 points just went away like last month that if convicted of any points when i fight the 11 pt ticket that the 5 will come back on my license

and then i have to start the 18 month cycle all over again to lose the points from the day convicted of the 11 points if i receive them

i did get a lawyer but a lawyer is never guaranteed to work

so i was thinking besides slowing down which i have done a friend brought up to me that when he moved from florida to ny and got his license transferred over that his points did not follow him

now i was thinking if i change my address to my cousins house in NJ and get some magazines or whatever shipped there.....and get a NJ license....would that work????? and i then have a driving record only in NY with points while a license with 0 points for new jersey?????
Are you sure about the "11 points"? That sounds a bit high.

If it's true, put your palms on the table, and get ready to take it up the chute.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FROM NYC DMV Site

Violation Points Violation Points

Following too closely 4

Improper passing, unsafe lane change, drove left of center, or drove wrong direction 3

Speeding (no specific MPH over speed limit) 3

Speeding (MPH over speed limit):

1 to 10 MPH 3
11 to 20 MPH 4
21 to 30 MPH 6
31 to 40 MPH 8
More than 40 MPH 11

Violation of a traffic signal, stop sign or Yield sign 3

Railroad crossing violation 3

Failed to yield right-of-way 3

Seat belt or child safety seat violation, passenger under age 16 3

Reckless driving 5

Left the scene of incident that involves property damage or injury to a domestic animal 3

Failed to stop for school bus 5

Inadequate brakes 4

Inadequate Brakes (vehicle of an employer) 2

Other moving violations 2

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
clearlexus said:
FROM NYC DMV Site

Violation Points Violation Points

Following too closely 4

Improper passing, unsafe lane change, drove left of center, or drove wrong direction 3

Speeding (no specific MPH over speed limit) 3

Speeding (MPH over speed limit):

1 to 10 MPH 3
11 to 20 MPH 4
21 to 30 MPH 6
31 to 40 MPH 8
More than 40 MPH 11

Violation of a traffic signal, stop sign or Yield sign 3

Railroad crossing violation 3

Failed to yield right-of-way 3

Seat belt or child safety seat violation, passenger under age 16 3

Reckless driving 5

Left the scene of incident that involves property damage or injury to a domestic animal 3

Failed to stop for school bus 5

Inadequate brakes 4

Inadequate Brakes (vehicle of an employer) 2

Other moving violations 2
ouch, 11 pts.... i didnt realize it was that many.

i was pulled over a year ago for improper lane change and 40+ over mph. no wonder why my lawyer was so pissed. i ended up getting 2 pts.

sheesh.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
make sure to go to court on your court date... do not waste the judge's time, don't bog around... Just say one simple sentence...

"Your honor, I've already been to traffic school X months ago. Would you allow me to take a 12 hour course this time?"

No matter what he say before, just say that...

If he says no, plead not guilty and pray the cop doesn't show up.

Try setting your court date as close to the holidays as possible:

If you got your ticket on a weekend, chances are the cop has weekend shifts, so he won't show up on a weekday.
If you got your ticket after midnight, then the cop works graveyard shifts, and chances are hez not showing up in the morning for a ticket.
If your ticket is anywhere within a week of christmas, there's a good chance he wont show up.
If your court date is between christmas and new years, chances are he could be out of town...
If you can find the cop, you can actually walk up to him and ask him if he's showing up.

all in all, you've got a 75% chance that the cop won't show up, because 75% of all cops don't show to their court dates. you see, when they've got a court date, they get the day off their shift, and most prefer to sleep in unless it's a ticket he wants to stick to you, like if you were speeding at 100MPH weaving in and out of traffic and you decided to be an asshole when he pulled you over...

DAMN I'm good at this shit...

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
ZaKapitan said:
you've got a 75% chance that the cop won't show up, because 75% of all cops don't show to their court dates. DAMN I'm good at this shit...
Hey chief, where'd you get that figure... 75%???

The cold reality is that the court schedules their court dates on the days that the cop isn't working... AND the cop is paid OT to come in on his day off to testify etc... so If i was a cop, I'd lose 1 day off a month to make some extra cash, hell yea. I've seen cops show often, much more than the 25% of the time you claim...

I onl;t answered this re-hashed speeding ticket thread because I got pinched AGAIN goddamnit.... 89 in a 65 heading north on the NY state thruway... when the hell did they start using lazer??? :pissed:

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
s0yb0mb said:
ZaKapitan said:
you've got a 75% chance that the cop won't show up, because 75% of all cops don't show to their court dates. DAMN I'm good at this shit...
Hey chief, where'd you get that figure... 75%???

The cold reality is that the court schedules their court dates on the days that the cop isn't working... AND the cop is paid OT to come in on his day off to testify etc... so If i was a cop, I'd lose 1 day off a month to make some extra cash, hell yea. I've seen cops show often, much more than the 25% of the time you claim...

I onl;t answered this re-hashed speeding ticket thread because I got pinched AGAIN goddamnit.... 89 in a 65 heading north on the NY state thruway... when the hell did they start using lazer??? :pissed:
Cops usually get paid for the day in court and a comp day as well. So if they show up for a quick morning testamony, they get a full day's pay and another full day off. Don't count on the cop not showing... but we're all very interested to hear more imaginary statistics. Thanks for the info Zak!

-Justin

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
ZaKapitan said:
make sure to go to court on your court date... do not waste the judge's time, don't bog around... Just say one simple sentence...

"Your honor, I've already been to traffic school X months ago. Would you allow me to take a 12 hour course this time?"

No matter what he say before, just say that...

Try setting your court date as close to the holidays as possible:

If you got your ticket on a weekend, chances are the cop has weekend shifts, so he won't show up on a weekday.
If you got your ticket after midnight, then the cop works graveyard shifts, and chances are hez not showing up in the morning for a ticket.
If your ticket is anywhere within a week of christmas, there's a good chance he wont show up.
If your court date is between christmas and new years, chances are he could be out of town...
If you can find the cop, you can actually walk up to him and ask him if he's showing up.

all in all, you've got a 75% chance that the cop won't show up, because 75% of all cops don't show to their court dates. you see, when they've got a court date, they get the day off their shift, and most prefer to sleep in unless it's a ticket he wants to stick to you, like if you were speeding at 100MPH weaving in and out of traffic and you decided to be an asshole when he pulled you over...

DAMN I'm good at this shit...
this coming from a guy who had his license suspended for 2 years..sure, I believe you :roll:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
ltunedgirl
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing