Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

Okay, from what i've read and understand, in order to use an aftermarket amp and retain the stock HU the only options are to:

1.) tap hi level speaker signal
2.) Solder RCA outputs onto factory amp

i didnt have much of an issue with option #1 and was satisfied with the end result until i kept reading other post on how the direct connect of the speaker signal on the factory amp is much more cleaner than using the LLC (which is what im trying to achieve). So onto option #2. This lasted a good 3 hours then it hit me that a fist full of scratches and blood and a broken chair (out of frustration) wasnt worth it. And believe me,. ive gone back to that idea a few more times after with the same disapointment. So my question is this: why cant we intercept the raw signal (behind the HU) before it reaches the factory amp? I know its because the volume control is within the factory amp but then couldnt we integrate a volume controller such as this: Peripheral PRC1 Car Audio RCA Bass Level Controller New - eBay (item 260443220261 end time Mar-05-10 09:38:27 PST) via RCA line? and if so, since we'd consider the approach on modding the factory amp.. just mod the HU so that its' volume knob is really controlling the volume control on the RCA line (just solder on the wires?) . is this making sense? and is this possible? probably an idea i came up with out of frustration and not looking at the facts.. nonetheless, your input and knowledge would be much appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
hi,

Okay, from what i've read and understand, in order to use an aftermarket amp and retain the stock HU the only options are to:

1.) tap hi level speaker signal
2.) Solder RCA outputs onto factory amp

i didnt have much of an issue with option #1 and was satisfied with the end result until i kept reading other post on how the direct connect of the speaker signal on the factory amp is much more cleaner than using the LLC (which is what im trying to achieve). So onto option #2. This lasted a good 3 hours then it hit me that a fist full of scratches and blood and a broken chair (out of frustration) wasnt worth it. And believe me,. ive gone back to that idea a few more times after with the same disapointment. So my question is this: why cant we intercept the raw signal (behind the HU) before it reaches the factory amp? I know its because the volume control is within the factory amp but then couldnt we integrate a volume controller such as this: Peripheral PRC1 Car Audio RCA Bass Level Controller New - eBay (item 260443220261 end time Mar-05-10 09:38:27 PST) via RCA line? and if so, since we'd consider the approach on modding the factory amp.. just mod the HU so that its' volume knob is really controlling the volume control on the RCA line (just solder on the wires?) . is this making sense? and is this possible? probably an idea i came up with out of frustration and not looking at the facts.. nonetheless, your input and knowledge would be much appreciated. thanks
Someone did do this a long time back. He used a signal processor with volume control that he fed the stock amp signals into. However, he did not go as far as taking the volume knob on the stock hu and integrating it into the volume controls on the signal processor so the volume knob of the HU was useless in his case. Also, I think that would be kind of difficult because I don't think the volume knob on the HU is analog... it's digital afaik, seeing how it digitally controls the volume of the stock amp, so who knows what kinds of pulses it generates when you turn it. Only if it were analog would you just be able to solder some wires from it. I don't know all the details of the knob on the stock HU so take what I say about it with a grain of salt, I'm just thinking outloud :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.