Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a way to take off the roof spoiler on my roof without ripping the paint off? I have to take out my ugo roof spoiler to get it painted, and stupid me put too much tape on it...i took partial side of it out...SO is there a way to take it out quickly and flawlessly? +REP to those who has their ways to help me!!!:(

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
sup Hoa....try to do it under the sun with lots of heat on the roof, that should loosen up the tape. also you would need some fish lines that you can pick up from big5 next to your work to cut through the tape bit by bit

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ohh...i took part like half of the spoiler off...i used my credit card and crapp....it was a pain in the A$$..Im too afraid to leave the blowdryer on for a long time...how long do u think i should leave it on for? .wat bout heat gun? but i have a feeling those things are strong...

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
dude man dont use a credit card, go get a roll of fish line which only runs you a few dollars and that will work much better...
dont worry bout buying a heat gun, just try to remove the spoiler at around noon time after letting your car sit in the sun for a few hours

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea i got a roll of fishing line already at home...gotta get some gloves now...i just did one side, and left it for tomorrow for the sun...

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
just rip that thing off. it shouldn't hurt the paint. unless you used some crazy epoxy on it or something. what kind of tape did you use?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
just rip that thing off. it shouldn't hurt the paint. unless you used some crazy epoxy on it or something. what kind of tape did you use?
the 3m tape is pretty strong stuff though...do you think he might break the fiberglass spoiler before he can pull the it off the car??

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
i had to do the samething a month ago
as others have said - hot day, in the sun, hair dryer, fishing line (at lease 10-12lb test), gloves, and patience
take your time, use about 24" of line, wrap it around your hand/fingers, slide the line in between the spoiler, and saw back-and-forth gently, and work it slowly, leave the hair dryer on/pointed at the area you're working on
be ready to break quite a few fishing lines; it'll get hung up once-in-awhile
just work it....

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OMFG!!!!....IM FINALLY DONE!!!AFTER SO MANY FISHIN LINE BREEAKING!!!....TOOK OFF THE TAPE WITH GOO ONE<, POLISHED AND WAXED!!! thanks guys for the help..

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
the 3m tape is pretty strong stuff though...do you think he might break the fiberglass spoiler before he can pull the it off the car??
the grey and red home depot one is pretty weak. the real 3m automotive tape is REALLY strong. it's black with red backing.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all the opinions guys....all i did was use fishing lines and did a see saw motion, and blow dried it...after that i sprayed alot of goo gone and blow dried again to pick up the residue and the left over tape....watta B*T&H to do though...then i cleaned it up, polised it and waxed it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts