Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a wheel repaired and they messed up the first time. Well, I got the wheel back last week and put it on. No problems until this morning when I went out to the car and it was completely flat. I took the wheel to a local shop and we filled it to 60 lbs and put it in the water tank. We couldn't find a single leak and worked at it for like 30 min. Can the wheel or tire leak on when there is a load on it even though we pressured it to 60 lbs? The other option is that someone let the air out.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
On my old car, I had a slow leak that took a long time to pinpoint. I had run over a small nail and it was still stuck in the tire and basically sealed up and held pressure. I noticed the pressure on this tire was always low even when I kept filling it. The first time I took it in, it held 40 psi overnight and they couldn't find anything. I finally found it one day when I was parked in a puddle and saw the air bubbles coming from it.

I guess i'd just keep driving it and check the pressures and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
XCstud said:
On my old car, I had a slow leak that took a long time to pinpoint. I had run over a small nail and it was still stuck in the tire and basically sealed up and held pressure. I noticed the pressure on this tire was always low even when I kept filling it. The first time I took it in, it held 40 psi overnight and they couldn't find anything. I finally found it one day when I was parked in a puddle and saw the air bubbles coming from it.

I guess i'd just keep driving it and check the pressures and see what happens.
Thanks for the reply XC. What is wierd is that we dropped it in the water and looked very carefully to look for bubbles. Couldn't find even one.

Would a slow leak still show bubbles?

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
if it went flat overnight, then its not a slow leak....

i am betting you have a bad valve... and them putting air in, moved the valve around enough that it didnt leak...

since its only a few bucks, if it happens again, have a new valve put on whether they find a leak or not

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HoustonLex said:
if it went flat overnight, then its not a slow leak....

i am betting you have a bad valve... and them putting air in, moved the valve around enough that it didnt leak...

since its only a few bucks, if it happens again, have a new valve put on whether they find a leak or not
Good idea houston. I will put it on tonight and post tomorrow whether it goes flat or not. By the way, when we leak tested, the valve did go under the water on that side as well.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
It may sound gross but open the valve cap and put a gobb of spit on the valve pin :crazy: if the spit bubbles then you got a slow leak there. also you may have just had a bad seal on the tire to begin with. have the shop remove the tire from the wheels and reinstall/reseal the tire. bad seal can cause leaks when under load or moving.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
I've been having a hard time posting at work, damn focking invalid session.

Marc, there wasn't any extreme temperature drops in Arkansas right? I'd recommend inflating the tire back to it's normal cold pressure and check it tomorrow morning. If it drops to low levels then bring to a tire shop and have the tire unmounted like BDR said. Once it's unmounted, ask the shop to clean off all the old bead/seal from the rim. Have them mount the tire with a new valve stem too. Hopefully that will help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.