Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there anyway that any of u guys came up with a way to get lexus to keep changin ur brakes for free using the TSIB or does it only works once? i know its a obvious question but i aint lookin for a obvious answer im tryin to see if anyone came up with tricks around it.?

·
Registered
382 Posts
TSIB for brakes is only valid for specific 2IS with certain VIN numbers. and you can only get it done once cause it goes on your service record. its mainly for the 06' and some 07'. since that TSIB came out all the new 2IS already have the new brake pads. nice try tho. maybe if your really tight with your service rep.. talk him into doin it.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
TSIB for brakes is only valid for specific 2IS with certain VIN numbers. and you can only get it done once cause it goes on your service record. its mainly for the 06' and some 07'. since that TSIB came out all the new 2IS already have the new brake pads. nice try tho. maybe if your really tight with your service rep.. talk him into doin it.
This is incorrect... the 08s still have the dusty pads but Lexus hasn't updated the document to include the 08 model year yet... no VIN numbers on the dust TSIB at all though.

It is true they note it on your service record so you only get it once though

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yo.yeah i had mines changed once already i liked the turn out too the dust is gone.and it was free i was jus hopin i could keep gettn it done stress free like that. but yeah thats wat i meant tho i was wondering if they mark ur service record to state that u got it done already.but if they do then yeah one brake change is all u gettin haha.thanks anyways guys.

·
Registered
423 Posts
It's once only. It's worth it though. 08 and ups don't get 'em, only certain 07 and 06. I got mine recently, and my wheels are nice and clean. :D

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Again, it's ALL 06-07s.

It'll be all 08s too when lexus gets around to updating the TSIB since they didn't actually fix the problem on 08s. Some 08 owners have gotten it done anyway by the dealer as a courtesy despite the fact 08s aren't on the TSIB yet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In addition to the excessive brake dust TSIB, there's also a brake squeak TSIB. So once you wear out the brake dust TSIB pads, you can get the new non-squeak pads. Provided that your current pads do squeak and that you're still under warranty. =)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2006 IS350 with only 42,000 miles and I went to the dealer today and complained about the brake dust and squeaks from the brakes. I mentioned the TSIB I saw and asked to have my pads replaced under warranty. The service adviser said because I only had 3mm of pad left they would not. I asked what the mm needed to be in order to have them replaced and he said the pads would need to be about 7mm. I even went above him and talked to the shop supervisor and he said that this is a wear and tear item that is not under any warranty.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I have a 2006 IS350 with only 42,000 miles and I went to the dealer today and complained about the brake dust and squeaks from the brakes. I mentioned the TSIB I saw and asked to have my pads replaced under warranty. The service adviser said because I only had 3mm of pad left they would not. I asked what the mm needed to be in order to have them replaced and he said the pads would need to be about 7mm. I even went above him and talked to the shop supervisor and he said that this is a wear and tear item that is not under any warranty.

He's absolutely wrong.

A moment of thought should tell you that.

Since they're -required- to give you new pads for the brake dust issue.

And they going to -throw away- the old pads they remove.

The condition of the -old- pads can not possibly have any relevance to the TSIB. They're going in the trash if they have 3mm left or if they have 3 miles total use on them.

I'd call Lexus corporate and report the dealership for refusing a Lexus TSIB under warranty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
He's absolutely wrong.

The condition of the -old- pads can not possibly have any relevance to the TSIB. They're going in the trash if they have 3mm left or if they have 3 miles total use on them.

I'd call Lexus corporate and report the dealership for refusing a Lexus TSIB under warranty.
I actually mentioned that they were going to trash the old pads and they said that they are not. Anything that is covered under warranty has to be sent back for verification that the part is defective. If who ever they send the part back determines that the part is a wear and tear item like pads, tires, light bulbs, etc... then that particular Lexus store eats the cost. This is what the service rep told me today about 2 hours ago when I picked up my car. Do you think that corporate will have something different to say on this matter?

·
Registered
34 Posts
He's absolutely wrong.

Knightshade: Have you already gone through this experience? If so, please do tell us with details (pad size at the time of TSIB request, etc..). Thanks.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Knightshade: Have you already gone through this experience? If so, please do tell us with details (pad size at the time of TSIB request, etc..). Thanks.
I've not been through that particular issue since 2008s aren't covered by the TSIB.

I've been through other issues that I've had to take to Lexus corporate and each time they've resolved them to my satisfaction and in accordance with what is actually written in the official documents.

If you read the text of the TSIB is is explicit that it covers replacement of OEM pads with the low dust pads ANYTIME during the warranty period with NO requirement for the old pads that would be thrown in the trash to be a certain thickness.

It would make no sense to require them to be a certain thickness, they're going in the garbage.

If the car is still under factory warranty and is an 06 or 07 it qualifies for the TSIB. Period.

If your dealer has a problem with that, report it to Lexus.

·
Registered
34 Posts
New Update: I called Lexus Corporate today about this whole TSIB brake issue. They told me the same thing that my Lexus dealership told me which was in order for my brake pads to be covered by the TSIB the current brake pads must be 5mm or higher. Anything lower will not be covered. He said that they have to send the brake pads back to warranty claims and if they do not fall into the warranty specification then the dealership will have to eat the cost. I told him that there are no guidelines on the TSIB announcement and he said that's because there is another page not released to the public but the Lexus technicians have it. He even said that the TSIBs are not really even for the public use. They are for the Lexus technicians use so if they see a common issue with a particular model then they can refer to the TSIB instead of diagnosing an issue that has already been diagnosed too many times and there is already a resolution in place.

·
Registered
382 Posts
i wore my brake pads down to metal before getting my tsib done.. to the point where it started to warp my rotors... i got new pads.. and a rotor resurface all for free.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Yeah, I checked the threads on CL about this and found numerous folks who got the TSIB with nearly gone pads too... the excuse you got just makes no sense given the problem the new pads are fixing has nothing to do with the amount of wear on the old pads.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
what is TSIB? i just bought my 07' IS250 two weeks ago and can't stand the ammount of dust it puts out. i want to ask my dealer about changing the pads but have no idea what to even say :confused:

edit: never mind i just found out :approve:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Update - OK, went to another dealer, and my dealer definitely tries to squeeze money out of me and sucks balls, and lies to me.

The new dealer rep said the rear brakes were fine. I also asked her to change the front brake pads (TSB) but she claims that she's had tons of complaints about these squeaking and didn't recommend it, so right now I'm not sure what to do. I've also heard they're not as grabby (I like good brakes) - what do y'all think?

While I was there I got my rear view TSB done, and hopefully it shouldn't vibrate anymore with the sunroof open...

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Update - OK, went to another dealer, and my dealer definitely tries to squeeze money out of me and sucks balls, and lies to me.

The new dealer rep said the rear brakes were fine. I also asked her to change the front brake pads (TSB) but she claims that she's had tons of complaints about these squeaking and didn't recommend it, so right now I'm not sure what to do. I've also heard they're not as grabby (I like good brakes) - what do y'all think?

While I was there I got my rear view TSB done, and hopefully it shouldn't vibrate anymore with the sunroof open...

They're _not_ as grabby. That's a -good- thing since it makes application of the brakes more linear and predictable.

They will still stop the car in -exactly- the same distance if you slam the pedal down though, as required by basic physics.

Never heard of anyone complaining about TSIB pads having squeek problems if installed correctly though, no reason they should.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I got it done 2 months ago. Noit as grabby = not a problem. I have no squeek--but still have dust. About 1/2 as I did before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
07 IS250 Front Rotors

My Front rotors have a 3 or 4mm lip, 48k mi. on car. This does not seem normal to me. Anybody else have the same problem. Recommendations please.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts