Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to put my springs on but I was wondering if there is any special tools I need. I know when my boyfriend did his he couldnt get a nut that was ontop of the strut off with out either a special tool or a airgun. Will I need anything like that or just some craftman wrenches and some muscle?

Thanks for the help!
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
You can get it off with an airgun. That's how I did mine. But you will need a spring compressor, allenkey for the top to not spin and I belive it's a 17mm open end wrench. But not quite sure. It's been over a year since I've done a suspension job on an IS.

Have fun. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have acess to airtools thats why I ask. The reason my boyfriend needed it is becuase when trying to unbolt the top nut the strut would just spin, thus he couldnt get it off without air tools. But I guess this is where the allenkey comes into play. Thanks for the help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
yeah, you don't have to have air tools. but you will need a spring compressor, and of course a jack and jackstands.

oh, and give yourself plenty of time. it's not a quick and easy job. good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
You'll definitely want a torque wrench and the torque specs for all the nuts. I posted them a few weeks back so you should be able to pop them on a search.

In front where you go to disconnect the upper suspension arm from the steering knuckle you need a puller of some sort to pop it off the bolt without damaging the grease fitting. Lexus makes a special tool for it but you can just use a universal puller. Borrow it from AutoZone when you borrow the spring compressor.

Check all the faq's to get tips. I'm in the process of writing a full install how-to now so if you post questions here over the weekend I'll answer best I can.
 

·
Legacy Mod
Joined
·
6,093 Posts
This "spring compressor" tool everyone is so lovingly calling it is a McPherson Strut tool. and as far as the install goes you can do it with sockets, ratchets, Allen keys and monkey wrenches, however last one we did with out pneumatic tools took us around 6 hours with three people working together. When we did my car with pneumatic tools just two people did it in 3 1/2 hours with a 1/2 hour break and we even had to remove one of the struts after forgetting a part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
ISthreeza said:
You'll definitely want a torque wrench and the torque specs for all the nuts. I posted them a few weeks back so you should be able to pop them on a search.

In front where you go to disconnect the upper suspension arm from the steering knuckle you need a puller of some sort to pop it off the bolt without damaging the grease fitting. Lexus makes a special tool for it but you can just use a universal puller. Borrow it from AutoZone when you borrow the spring compressor.

Check all the faq's to get tips. I'm in the process of writing a full install how-to now so if you post questions here over the weekend I'll answer best I can.
i didn't use a torque wrench. i should be back later and do that though. thanks for posting the specs isthreeza.

as for the front suspension, just turn the wheel towards the side you're doing rather than disconnecting the upper arm (per the sticky). just be careful of the abs line while you're doing it.

anyway, don't mean to post conflicting data but there's more than one way to do it. just take your time and follow the sticky.

oh, and measure your fender heights before so you can get the true drop amounts (if you're so inclined...)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me get this straight..you only need that puller if your going to disconnect the upper arm from the knuckle right? And even then you dont have to do that unless you turn the wheels to the right on the right side and visa versa? Correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
RedIS300Chic said:
Let me get this straight..you only need that puller if your going to disconnect the upper arm from the knuckle right? And even then you dont have to do that unless you turn the wheels to the right on the right side and visa versa? Correct?
well, you don't need it IF you turn your wheels left/right. so yeah, you don't need it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Either way works. For what it's worth I had a buddy send me the service manual and just followed it's instructions. If you've never seen the service manual it's pretty funny. It step by step walks you through everything.

Anyway, it was nice not having to get in the car, start it up and turn the wheels while it was on the stands.

Say hoss, a quick question. If you use the turn the wheel method do you completely remove the lower mount point for the strut to get it out? Just curious. I never did put it all together from the sticky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
ISthreeza said:
Say hoss, a quick question. If you use the turn the wheel method do you completely remove the lower mount point for the strut to get it out? Just curious. I never did put it all together from the sticky.
no need to take apart the lower arm if that's what you mean. for example on the left, turn the wheel all the way to the left, push down on the suspension and slide the shock out towards the front of the car (right by the abs line). this is assuming you've already taken out the lower and upper shock mount bolts. :wink: there isn't a TON of room but it does go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Oh, I get it. You just snake it out of there. That's cool.

Wasn't too hard to pop that fitting though. Hmm...if I had to do it again I think I'd still pop the connection just to get the extra space to get the strut out of there. I'd be more comfortable getting around the brake line.

But that's a great shortcut. Thanks.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top