Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have an '08 IS250 with the X-Package. I'm pretty sure that comes with the Sports Suspensions and what not. I'm not all that knowledgeable when it comes to car parts so it might sound kinda stupid. Anyhow, for some reason, I think a Lexus should be a comfortable ride. The thing is, I think my car is just way too bumpy on the freeways and tires make way too much noise (bumpy noise). Is that because of the suspensions or the tires? Anyhow else having the same problem or feel the same way? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Hey guys, I have an '08 IS250 with the X-Package. I'm pretty sure that comes with the Sports Suspensions and what not. I'm not all that knowledgeable when it comes to car parts so it might sound kinda stupid. Anyhow, for some reason, I think a Lexus should be a comfortable ride. The thing is, I think my car is just way too bumpy on the freeways and tires make way too much noise (bumpy noise). Is that because of the suspensions or the tires? Anyhow else having the same problem or feel the same way? Thanks.
Both.

The IS is the least "cushy" suspension of any Lexus car... that's why it's a sport sedan. Sport or regular suspension this is true. If a buyer is looking for only luxury in this price/segment then Lexus is happy to sell them an ES.

The OEM tires usually kinda suck too.

Better tires will take care of the noise, and improve the ride, but it's never going to ride like a caddy or something.

The sport suspension is a very small change in ride quality from the normal suspension (1/2 inch drop in the front, 5% stiffer suspension... that's it.)... for normal driving you shouldn't even notice the difference, just the bleeding edge when pushing the car is slightly further out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ Thanks for your reply. Yeah I agree, but regarding the OEM tires. I did do a research on them thru Tirerack.com and Bridgestone's always seem to have great reviews and "ride comfort/noise," but been in two brand new cars the past 3 years with Bridgestone's, I have to disagree with the reviews. Anyhow, I guess I'm gonna have to deal with it cuz I'm not a fan of the ES lol.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Well, Bridgestone makes a -lot- of different tires... the turanzas aren't very good.... the Potenza RE730s I had on my previous 500 hp car were fantastic...

Generally the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s seem to be considered the best high performance tire for the 2IS, with a couple other decent contenders from both Bridgestone and Goodyear in there... but you're looking at $250 and up per tire.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think picking between Bridgestone and Michellin is personal preference. I think they are both good tires, but I prefer the Bridgestone Potenza's. They are the sole supplier to F1, and they produce the tires for IndyCar under the Firestone name, so they can't be too bad. I'd rate the Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Position number 1 ahead of anything else. It's an Ultra High Performance All Season Tire that beats most if not all of the UHP Summer Tires. I can't speak for what is quietest. I'm just speaking on the performance side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts