Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at getting a 2001-2002 is300 5spd. it seems that all that are in my price range(>$13k) have at least 100k miles. what are some problems with is300 with over 100k and is it worth it to get one with more than 100k??? ive search but could not find exactly what i was looking for... thanks- Adam

·
Registered
100 Posts
Im looking at getting a 2001-2002 is300 5spd. it seems that all that are in my price range(>$13k) have at least 100k miles. what are some problems with is300 with over 100k and is it worth it to get one with more than 100k??? ive search but could not find exactly what i was looking for... thanks- Adam
I know this is not exactly the answer you were looking for, but I found mine for roughly 14k and some change and it only had 47k. Clean title, one owner, always garaged etc.

I would look to see if all maintenance was done, as well as if it is a stick as you say, from what I have learned on this site it should probably have a different clutch? Good luck in your search, sorry I could not be more help. :confused:

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
#1 good luck finding an 01 5spd....they dont exist.
#2 from what I have read there are no long term problems.
#3 Test drive it. Do a pull in 4th and 5th (60-90 mph in each) to see if the clutch slips.
#4 Check the door sill plate for the B02A (or something like that, look it up in FAQ) and make sure you get a limited slip diff.
#5 be prepared to replace all the fluids on the vehicle.
#6 make sure the timing belt/water pump were done at 90k miles.
#7 listen for unusual squeaks bumps or rattles....every car will have some at that point but listen for any thing BAD
#8 TEST every thing, windows, door locks, hood and trunk release, opening the doors glove box and trunk with the key, move the seats, seat heaters, 12v sockets (bring a phone charger with to check, there are 2), ummm other than that look around carefully

·
Registered
590 Posts
I agree with what Tom said above.
My IS300 has 112,000 miles and runs perfectly.
All I've needed is routine scheduled maintenance.
Look for an '02 with manual transmission (no manual in '01).
Look on Cars.com and Autotrader.com.
You'll find cars in your price range there, but you may have to fly somewhere to pick up the car.
Ask if the clutch and flywheel have ever been replaced, and if so, was it with oem or aftermarket parts? If they haven't been replaced, plan on setting aside $1,000 - $2,500 for this job, depending on the replacement parts you choose.
Most original clutches seem to last around 50K to 100K miles.
Good luck with your search, you've picked a great car.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
Go drive it and bring my check list with you. Do NOT buy that day. You might stumble across something better that night :wink:

·
Registered
466 Posts
ok thanks..but does that price sound reasonable for having 100k miles
see if you can bargain some more off the price. a car over 100k is difficult to sale at the dealer so perhaps there is room for you to bargain the price. second, check the vehicle history report (no accidents etc.), there are aftermarket parts for the IS which they look the same like oem but some how the sizes/material are slightly different. I had a to rolled my fender for a set of wheels which fit the oem specs but not the aftermarket. third, used car insurance and finance interests seems higher than new car and the IS was rated number 6 or 7 for highest insurance rate vehicle. fourth, lexus's labor costs are expensive, if something goes wrong with the car, are you willing to spend the money to fix on a 100k car ?

If I have 10k at lay around, I would def use it on a down payment on a new car which holds more value. It's just my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts