Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been practicing this technique however, I've been having some difficulty with doing it the conventional way of heel on gas, toe on brake. I'm 5"11 with a size 10.5 shoe. No matter how far I put the seat back, my knee gets caught up by the steering wheel or something. If i put the seat back far enough, i have to really stretch to reach the steering wheel. Then there's that problem with my feet. I don't have big feet, so i suppose it's my coordination that makes it so difficult to do this operation. So i decided to try heel on brake, and toe on gas. It seems to work better and i guess with more practice, i'll become more fluid. Are there many people who drive toe/heel, instead of heel/toe? And for the more experienced drivers, are there any tips that may be useful for me? Thanks.

·
Registered
535 Posts

i m not as tall, only 5'6 or 7... but sometimes when i do heel toe, my knees hit the same spot also.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I heel-and-toe occasionally, but I don't have problems with my knee hitting anything. I'll get around to taking pics of how I position myself one of these days...

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have the same problem. I am 5'10" and 10.5 shoe size too. I think the gas pedal of is300 is just too small unlike the bimmers'. I haven't tried toe heel, thanks for the idea, I will try it and see if it's more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Whenever I heel and toe (not in my car unfortunately :(), I would use the sides of my foot instead of actually using my heel and toe. Just get a pair of wide tennis shoes and that should do the trick.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Dernick said:
Whenever I heel and toe (not in my car unfortunately :(), I would use the sides of my foot instead of actually using my heel and toe. Just get a pair of wide tennis shoes and that should do the trick.
that doesnt really work w/ the IS...
cuz the brake pedal is too high...

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
blueIS said:
Dernick said:
Ok, I woulnd't know since I've never driven a manual IS. It worked on my friend's old GT and his WS6, and it also worked on and old Turbo2 RX7.

·
Mr. Negative
12,387 Posts
blueIS said:
Dernick said:

That's what I've done when I drive a MT IS, with my foot a little at an angle like this " / "

·
Registered
535 Posts
IS_Dude said:
blueIS said:
Dernick said:

That's what I've done when I drive a MT IS, with my foot a little at an angle like this " / "
so u mean you heel the brake and toe the gas ?
the opposite ?

·
Mr. Negative
12,387 Posts
calcal said:
IS_Dude said:
blueIS said:
Dernick said:

so u mean you heel the brake and toe the gas ?
the opposite ?

Not exactly. It's actually more like the ball of my foot is on the brake and the right side of my foot is on the gas. Since the pedals are so close.

·
Registered
353 Posts
In general, just do what feels most comfortable to you. I was taught that the most important thing is having the ball of your foot on the brake for safety/control. For me what works best (with the IS) is to place the ball of my foot under my big toe on the brake with your foot rotated in this direction / . With my 11.5 shoe that doesn't require much rotation of the foot, I can just roll my ankle slightly and blip the throttle with the outside of my foot. If you're hitting your knee on the steering column, you can try rotating your foot a little less. Hope that helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
170 Posts
you need to have you ball on the brake and blip the gas with the heel or side of you foot.

The lexus pedals suck for this, part it the position from the floor the other is the distance of the pedals.

You can fix the distance of the pedals buy pushing on them, do not push to hard they might break. They do move around if you push on them. I have moved the brace closer to the gas by about 1/2' to 1'

·
8,107 Posts
It's easy on my Bimmer, but can't do it on the Lexus or most other cars (size 12 foot) - I wouldn't recommend toe&heel, cause when braking is critical you need to feel what the brakes are doing through your foot, hard to feel anything or modulate anything with your heel.
Get a pedal kit for the IS - that's what I would do if I got one.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Using heel and toe isn't much of a problem for me (5'5, size 9.5 shoe) in the MT IS300. Every car feels different using the H&T, some feel better than others.

I agree that if you need to use this method, you could try pedal covers like how it was mentioned earlier. I've had a lot of practice in my GTI, 240SX and AE86. The IS300 does feel a bit closer pedal wise but it's not impossible to master. (unless you have Shaq's feet)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
11 Participants
Hyper-X
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing