Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just replaced an obnoxiously loud Aeromotive inline pump with dual in-tank Walbros. My car, an '02 IS300, has a PHR pump bracket that was stripped of the original pump/regulator.

Not being familiar with the stock setup, and since it's been changed by a rather ghetto install, (and having searched extensively here) I want to make sure that I have the return line from my fuel rail-mounted regulator connected correctly.

When I removed the bracket, the return line fitting had nothing connected to it on the inside (probably a makeshift hose connection pulled loose) , but I noticed a loose 3/8" hose inside the tank. From some research here, I think that this line originally connected to the in-tank regulator's return port.

My bracket has a bulkhead fitting that feeds the regulator return line through the top of the bracket. I installed a 3/8" hose barb on the intank side of this fitting and connected the loose hose inside the tank to this. I'm 99% sure that this is the correct hookup, but am asking to be sure. My setup is very similar to this:

And the empty barb on this picture is very similar to my return setup that is now connected to intank 3/8" hose. Is this correct?

BTW, Thanks SPIN2GST for your excellent writeup - You saved me some serious design/fabrication time.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I've just replaced an obnoxiously loud Aeromotive inline pump with dual in-tank Walbros. My car, an '02 IS300, has a PHR pump bracket that was stripped of the original pump/regulator.

Not being familiar with the stock setup, and since it's been changed by a rather ghetto install, (and having searched extensively here) I want to make sure that I have the return line from my fuel rail-mounted regulator connected correctly.

When I removed the bracket, the return line fitting had nothing connected to it on the inside (probably a makeshift hose connection pulled loose) , but I noticed a loose 3/8" hose inside the tank. From some research here, I think that this line originally connected to the in-tank regulator's return port.

My bracket has a bulkhead fitting that feeds the regulator return line through the top of the bracket. I installed a 3/8" hose barb on the intank side of this fitting and connected the loose hose inside the tank to this. I'm 99% sure that this is the correct hookup, but am asking to be sure. My setup is very similar to this:

And the empty barb on this picture is very similar to my return setup that is now connected to intank 3/8" hose. Is this correct?

BTW, Thanks SPIN2GST for your excellent writeup - You saved me some serious design/fabrication time.
I have yet to pressurize my new setup, but you should be connecting it up something like this. You will need to get a hold of the stock return parts. That tube you found in the tank connects to the other side of the saddle style tank. It pulls fuel from the other side using a siphoning like principle (burneuly affect) I think it what it's called. Anyway, this is how you'll need to connect it so that it pulls fuel from the other side of the tank. This pic does not show that tube connected, but it goes on the fitting that has the black ziptie on it. If you don't care about using all the available fuel, just let the return drain back into the tank.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
^^^Yup. The return flow MUST be run through the stock jet valve in order to draw fuel from the other side of the saddle. Otherwise, you'll forever mysteriously only have 2/3 of the tank to use.

One unknown is whether the stock jet valve can handle the flow of two walbros. You may need to drill out jet valve a bit. Maybe someone else can jump in here to confirm that it works properly with 2 walbros.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for those replies -

I just received my service manual Cd yesterday that explains the setup:

Now I will disconnect the internal return line and find one of those jet valves.

I'm hoping SPIN2GST will jump in and show how his was done.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure of how to hook one up, just need to get one. Some dumbass took the original out.

I did some research on "Eductors" (pressure jet vacuum pumpers) today and may try to make a high-flow jet valve for this application.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
^^^ Are you able to run your tank down to the low fuel light everytime?

·
Registered
960 Posts
I'm not 100% sure if my installer put the jet valve back or not. I have yet to try and run it down past 1/4 of a tank. Is there any way to check without pulling the pump out?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The big deal with me obviously is being able to use the fuel in the RH tank. The gauge and low level sensor will stiill work as normal without the jet valve - you will just not be able to go as far before running empty. :duh: I'm still looking into a high-flow jet valve to use - they are available commercially, I just have to find a supplier that will sell small quantities.

bigkahuna, I bought the car (Last Month) already converted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts