Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i tried to do a search but couldn't find an answer to my question. Don't bash please. So i was planning to either get the HKS Hiper Carbon-Ti Exhaust or the L-tuned exhaust. I was just wondering how long exhausts usually last (as in miles and/or years) b/c my dad mentioned something about the exhaust rusting out in the inside and having to replace it after so many miles/years. I was wondering if you guys could help me out b/ci don't want to get such an expensive exhaust if it's only going to last for a couple of years.

thanks!

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
it totally depends on your usage and environment. if you live in an area where it's really humid, you may find it rusting sooner. i've personally seen some exhaust systems last for years with no problems and the same system on the same type of car lasting for like a year...i think it really depends on how you use the car. just remember that one of the by-products of the combustion process in our engines is water (or was it past the catalytic??? someone correct me if i'm wrong on this) ...so you'll have water forming inside the piping...no matter what exhaust you get, you will get this effect...

one other thing to consider though, stainless steal piping...this is cool and all, but i've seen some of these rust at the welds. we had a borla system that they claimed to be 100% stainless...but we found that at the exit and entry of the muffler, they had some non-stainless welds or flanges...and that rusted out on us. it was really strange.

anyway, it really depends...sorry if that's not the answer you were looking for...but i was kinda bored and had some time to babble. good luck...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts