Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the wet skid pad, I was trying to get my BMW to oversteer into a sustained drift, and got it working consistently for a while, then couldn't repeat it later in the wet section of the autocross.
I would go fast into the turn, use the brakes to send weight to front, then turn in and stomp the gas, but kept getting massive understeer - making this nasty shuddering from the front end sometimes. What was I doing wrong?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
first of all, if the track is wet you dont need brakes... and secondly... when your car starts shuddering, im assuming that this happens because youre applying the brakes... its your brakes.. dont use them , learn to countersteer and correct your mistakes with your gas pedal and steering wheel... all you need is experience

COUNTERSTEER IS ESSENTIAL IN DRIFTING, I DONT KNOW WTF YOURE DOIN W/O COUNTERSTEERING...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
I would assume the perfect 50/50 weight distribution and RWD of a BMW make it pretty damn hard to drift, I can't do it to mine... try it in a CL-S
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't countersteer UNTIL the car oversteers.
My question is how to initiate oversteer. I know what to do once it starts to keep it going.
No, the shuddering wasn't brakes, it was when I'd have the wheel turned too far and was understeering - would go away if I straighten the wheel. I know which pedal is the brake.

When I was successfully oversteering, I'd slide around the turn with the back end out.

Originally posted by fusion:
COUNTERSTEER IS ESSENTIAL IN DRIFTING, I DONT KNOW WTF YOURE DOIN W/O COUNTERSTEERING...[/QB]
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By drifting I mean maintaining a state of oversteer around a turn, is that what you mean by drifting?

Actually, 50/50 weight distribution and RWD are essential to oversteering - with a FWD car, you gotta use the handbrake.
One of the guys with a 328Ci had the car drifting a few times, while the older BMWs(E30) made it look ridiculously easy - great fun to watch. The guys in M3s could do it, but most of them would keep rotating and spin.
A CL-S could never drift, it'd just understeer.

Originally posted by IStheBest:
I would assume the perfect 50/50 weight distribution and RWD of a BMW make it pretty damn hard to drift, I can't do it to mine... try it in a CL-S
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
yes, i know what you mean br drifting... i am a frequent drifter myself.... anyway, since you say that the shudderring is not coming from the brakes... im assuming that its the tires or wheels rubbing on your car... and you could always enter the turn wide and cut across sharply.. in fact, just yesterday i was driving go-carts at a track and i was pulling drifts and fishtails... almost got kicked off for doing a 90 degree skid across the finish line though....
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was talking to ISisbest, cause he said his BMW is not a good drift car.
Yeah, since I had the wheel over too far, maybe the tires were rubbing.
Love carting, been to F1 Boston 3 times, but it's too expensive.

Originally posted by fusion:
yes, i know what you mean br drifting... i am a frequent drifter myself.... anyway, since you say that the shudderring is not coming from the brakes... im assuming that its the tires or wheels rubbing on your car... and you could always enter the turn wide and cut across sharply.. in fact, just yesterday i was driving go-carts at a track and i was pulling drifts and fishtails... almost got kicked off for doing a 90 degree skid across the finish line though....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
759 Posts
If you are getting a "shuddering" after you apply the brakes and then hit the gas, then chances are your tires are slipping a bit and you have braked too much. To initiate an oversteer you'd just have to be going at a higher speed without braking. Because the conditions are wet, as soon as you brake and the weight shifts to the front the tires are handling too much pressure to grip well and thus you slide and understeer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
if you like f1 boston, you need to come out here for Kart Trak... the atmosphere isn't as nice as F1, but the carts are faster and you get about 36 laps and they don't yellow flag you for little bumps.. they pretty much let you race.. as long as you're not trying to kill somebody..

as for drifting.. pending on the turn, sometimes i just push the clutch in before the turn, and as i enter it, i rev high and then release the clutch to get the wheels to spin. this usually works, but its easier on an M since it has more power.. another way to initiate a drift is the toe-heel method.. or is it heel-toe..??

Originally posted by ckolsen:
I was talking to ISisbest, cause he said his BMW is not a good drift car.
Yeah, since I had the wheel over too far, maybe the tires were rubbing.
Love carting, been to F1 Boston 3 times, but it's too expensive.

Originally posted by fusion:
[qb]yes, i know what you mean br drifting... i am a frequent drifter myself.... anyway, since you say that the shudderring is not coming from the brakes... im assuming that its the tires or wheels rubbing on your car... and you could always enter the turn wide and cut across sharply.. in fact, just yesterday i was driving go-carts at a track and i was pulling drifts and fishtails... almost got kicked off for doing a 90 degree skid across the finish line though....
[/QB]
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where is Kart Trak?
I should forget about drifting and oversteer, cause I go to my first track event in 3 days, but thanks for help all.

Originally posted by TicaLis300:
if you like f1 boston, you need to come out here for Kart Trak... the atmosphere isn't as nice as F1, but the carts are faster and you get about 36 laps and they don't yellow flag you for little bumps.. they pretty much let you race.. as long as you're not trying to kill somebody..

as for drifting.. pending on the turn, sometimes i just push the clutch in before the turn, and as i enter it, i rev high and then release the clutch to get the wheels to spin. this usually works, but its easier on an M since it has more power.. another way to initiate a drift is the toe-heel method.. or is it heel-toe..??

Originally posted by ckolsen:
[qb]I was talking to ISisbest, cause he said his BMW is not a good drift car.
Yeah, since I had the wheel over too far, maybe the tires were rubbing.
Love carting, been to F1 Boston 3 times, but it's too expensive.

Originally posted by fusion:
[qb]yes, i know what you mean br drifting... i am a frequent drifter myself.... anyway, since you say that the shudderring is not coming from the brakes... im assuming that its the tires or wheels rubbing on your car... and you could always enter the turn wide and cut across sharply.. in fact, just yesterday i was driving go-carts at a track and i was pulling drifts and fishtails... almost got kicked off for doing a 90 degree skid across the finish line though....
[/QB]
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have to shift weight forward to make the back end loose, not sure what you mean.
I think the instructors were saying:
"Off the gas, turn the wheel in, stomp the gas". But it's hard to remember when you're flying around a wet skidpad. I had it working great for a while, then lost the rhythm and went back to understeering.

Originally posted by LexusIS886:
Because the conditions are wet, as soon as you brake and the weight shifts to the front the tires are handling too much pressure to grip well and thus you slide and understeer.[/QB]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
759 Posts
I've been thinking... I have no experience drifting in a car with an automatic transmission. I really wonder how different it would be... Anyone want to let me borrow their car? hehe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
i love to drift..but sometimes your car becomes loose... and you need to know how to counteract to alleviate the drift.. if you know how to start a drift, as well as being able to control it...if it happens when you're not expecting it, you'll be much more prepared.


oh..and Kart Trak is in CT... 91N exit 42.. just opened 2 months ago.. i took the CT meet guys to it..and im pretty sure everyone loved it..except for the bruises that remained afterwards.. just ask em.. they'll tell ya..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
All you need to do go drift is, when your car starts to understeer, give it lots of gas. This will swing the tail out and then you can counterseer to keep it under control. I too have drifted in an old BMW, it was rediculously easy to swing the tail out on the e28 533i, esp in the wet. You have to be in the right gear with high enough RPMs, so you have enough power to break traction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
Originally posted by ckolsen:
I go to my first track event in 3 days, but thanks for help all.
[/QB][/QUOTE][/QB][/QUOTE][/QB][/QUOTE]

which event? where?? when? how much? i went to an autocross today..and im thinking that i'd rather be at a track instead of a parking lot... dont get me wrong..i had TONS of fun..but i want to be able to unleash the power of this car...and you cant do that at an autocross.. also, tracks have smoother pavement... i was bottoming out left and right in the autocross...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Originally posted by TicaLis300:


[ April 30, 2001: Message edited by: TicaLis300 ]
well said. A word of caution to the others is that if you wanna learn to control oversteer, do it somewhere safe. Also kicking ur tail out, while it looks impressive, is not alwasys the fastest way around the track!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Originally posted by TicaLis300:


[ April 30, 2001: Message edited by: TicaLis300 ]
well said. A word of caution to the others is that if you wanna learn to control oversteer, do it somewhere safe. Also kicking ur tail out, while it looks impressive, is not alwasys the fastest way around the track!
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
12 Participants
LexusIS886
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing
Top