Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first of all, who here has the Jun cam gears? Because according to a site that I found, the Jun cam gears "has a 5 bolt pattern just like the Unorthodox which means no chance of slipping." In addition, it "uses the stock Lexus cam gear outer ring unlike Unorthodox or AEM which means your important timing belt fits 100%."
So, does that mean the Jun cam gear is better than the HKS cam gear becuase the HKS is only a 3-bolt cam? According to some people "the 3-bolt pattern isn't as safe as the 5-bolt used by more expensive gears." ture or false?
Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
i have heard of a supra owner spinning his motor past 9 grand on the hks cam gears

i have never seen hks products be inferior in any way

are you sure they don't also make a 5 bolt? if not, there 3 bolt is designed in some way that its as good as a 5 bolt

-gte

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
i've heard of cam gewars slipping on those bolts. the best thing to do is to check them once in a while. since they're really small bolt, they can get loose. try using some lock-tite...that should work. there's one company who designed a cam gear that is solid, and there is no way it will slip...i forgot who had it though...

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a brand new HKS cam gear for sale never used. When I bought mine I bought 2 so I have one exta. 125 for it.
Thanx

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
hey jOo LeE eN,

please explain to me how you plan to install 2 hks cam gears? will the car run properly afterwards? will you bolt one on top of the other?

-gte

XDoOkiExIS300X said:
you know how the HKS says that you only need one cam gear...what happens if you install two? (besides losing out on 140 bucks)

julian

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
IS300GTE said:
hey jOo LeE eN,

please explain to me how you plan to install 2 hks cam gears? will the car run properly afterwards? will you bolt one on top of the other?

-gte

XDoOkiExIS300X said:
you know how the HKS says that you only need one cam gear...what happens if you install two? (besides losing out on 140 bucks)

julian
ok...i'm taking it that you don't want me to answer this one too huh??? :p :p :p

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
i think he means changing intake and exhaust cams instead of changing just the exhaust cam gear. I think it was be/c vvti is on the intake cam, you will lose that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey guys,

Oh I just meant changing the two gears that are side by side. Those are the cam gears no? I figured one is the exhaust and one was the intake. I just tried doing a search where some kid had a picture of his cam gear cover taken off, but that picture was taken off for some reason. Anyways, hehe I hope you guys get what I'm trying to say...

Julian

UCLA_IS300 gets what I am saying...

So does that mean if I do change both of them, I will lose out on power?

=P

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
take the cam gear cover off, you will see exactly why you can't change both of them and why HKS told you that you couldn't. for them to say you can't buy 2 of their products, but instead can only buy/use 1, there has to be a reason behind that, correct?

-gte

XDoOkiExIS300X said:
Hey guys,

Oh I just meant changing the two gears that are side by side. Those are the cam gears no? I figured one is the exhaust and one was the intake. I just tried doing a search where some kid had a picture of his cam gear cover taken off, but that picture was taken off for some reason. Anyways, hehe I hope you guys get what I'm trying to say...

Julian

UCLA_IS300 gets what I am saying...

So does that mean if I do change both of them, I will lose out on power?

=P

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
10 Participants
IS300GTE
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing