Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a pretty low-power Alpine amp powering my 10" Image dynamics sub. This amp is rated at 220watts at 14.4v and 180ish at 12v. My question is...whats the difference? Does it depend on the car's battery? If so, what voltage is an is300's battery?

Also, why are alpine amps so much more expensive than other brands with similar specs? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
14.4V is ideal output of the alternator, however with a load on it from lights, stereo and other accessories it will dip a bit lower. 12V is the battery voltage and at rest with the engine off a good battery will have a little bit over 12v. With the stereo cranking wou will get no where near 14.4v I usually see around 13V on the voltmeter with it going as low as 12.5v. So figure you are getting about 200W. I don't know what the specs are on the ID sub but 200W is a little on the lower power side.

Alpine amps are expensive cause of the name brand, They used to make some really good stuff before, I ran two 3554's for over 10 years and those were the best sounding amps I ever had. Don't know about their current line up but they look pretty sweet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts