Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just lowered my car and got a new alignment, and it handles perfectly, i can turn harder and faster, but now i rotated my tires from front to rear and now i feel my tires are slipping more, and im not having as much grip as before, and seomtimse the car would pull to the left a bit while driving highway. What do you guys suggest or do to ur car? rotate your tires and loose performance or just not rotate them? I need suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do all 4 of your tires match? If not, there in the problem lies as different tread patterns will cause a car to pull and some tires may have less grip than than others on the car due to different tire compounds.
How long did you go w/o roating your tires and an alignment? If you went to long w/o doing so, they may have started to wear unevenly across the tire, if so the only thing you can do is rotate them back the way they were or buy new ones. As mentioned above, also check your tire pressure as well.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the rims are all the same size, they are stock, does it have anything to do with the way each tire wears? before the rotation the alignment was good, but after rotation it turned crappy

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's possible that one of the tires is causing a tire pull. If your tires aren't directional you can rotate them side to side and then drive again, if the pull goes the other way its a tire pull. If they are directional you could try rotating one side at a time.

Wear patterns on the tire can also make it wander.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I didn't want to make a new thread but have a question.

If my alignment is currently good, but I decide to change either my front or rear tire size/type, do I need a re-alignment?

For example, I currently have 217/45/17 front, 225/45/17 back.

If I swap out the rear tires for 245/40/17, will I need a re-alignment?

Also regarding tire rotation, what is the correct ways to rotate asymmetric tires? Obviously fronts can go to rears on the same side and vice versa, but can I swap tires from left to right? Diagonally?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
1 - I'd say no you don't need a new alignment.

2 - I just do front to back.

You can put tires on any position you want but you want them turning in the right direction. To switch sides, I suspect you'd have to have them re-mounted. I've run tires backwards before at the track. What you lose is rain driving ability. Running the wrong direction, the tires don't work very well in the rain.

·
Registered
611 Posts
1 - I'd say no you don't need a new alignment.

2 - I just do front to back.

You can put tires on any position you want but you want them turning in the right direction. To switch sides, I suspect you'd have to have them re-mounted. I've run tires backwards before at the track. What you lose is rain driving ability. Running the wrong direction, the tires don't work very well in the rain.
for asymmetric tires, could I swap the front left to the rear right? Why would left to right swapping need unmounting?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
for asymmetric tires,
asymmetric meaning "not symmetric". I assume an asymmetric tire is directional. If you move the left front to the right rear, you'll be running a directional tire backwards.

If you're running some shitty all season, non-directional tire then sure you can move them any place you want.

You move directional tires from front to back because they're directional. If you put them on the other side of the car you'll be running them backwards. It's easy to visualize. Imagine your front left with an arrow pointing forwards, that's the direction it's rotating. Now imagine flipping it 180 degrees and bolting it to the right side. The arrow is now pointing to the back.

·
Registered
611 Posts
you assume asymmetric tire is directional, but is it?

i have the michelin pilot a/s3 tires.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
i have the michelin pilot a/s3 tires.
I'm not sure what you're wanting here. You want me to look up your tire for you and tell you if it's directional or not?

I just gave you simple rule, you can't rotate directional tires left to right. My tires are directional, can't rotate them left to right. If yours aren't directional it doesn't apply right?

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
If you look on the sidewall, if you dont see an arrow, then it is a non directional tire. If you see an arrow, it is. The tread pattern might or might not be the way to tell. I have seen Kumho tires tread pattern look backwards on a directional tire, but the arrows show different

You can rotate non directional tires to either side of the car. The rule of thumb on rotating rwd tires, is that the front wheels go straight back and the back wheels go diagonal to the front.

No, you will not need an alignment, unless the tires are 1" taller than the previous tires. If thats the case, then an alignment will be needed. If your tires are wearing evenly, then you dont need an alignment. However, for a peace of mind, do an alignment if you havent done it in a long time

Reactions: stuis

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
You can rotate non directional tires to either side of the car. The rule of thumb on rotating rwd tires, is that the front wheels go straight back and the back wheels go diagonal to the front.
Yes, as long as the tires aren't directional. If they're directional you just switch front to back.

No, you will not need an alignment, unless the tires are 1" taller than the previous tires. If thats the case, then an alignment will be needed. If your tires are wearing evenly, then you dont need an alignment. However, for a peace of mind, do an alignment if you havent done it in a long time
Inch taller tire will have no impact on the alignment. The entire car will just sit higher. It doesn't change any of the angles in the alignment. If you raise or lower the car with coil overs, you'll need an alignment. If you just use a shorter or taller tire, you wont.

·
Registered
611 Posts
If you look on the sidewall, if you dont see an arrow, then it is a non directional tire. If you see an arrow, it is. The tread pattern might or might not be the way to tell. I have seen Kumho tires tread pattern look backwards on a directional tire, but the arrows show different

wow awesome detailed information, thanks for this post.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts