Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a cam gear on the way and am looking for headers and exhaust...

So I'm getting these parts into my car slowly but its getting there. I have been reading and am seeing that people say you should get SAFC II or whatever to help tune the a/f...

What can everyone tell me about this and what all is really required ot get this going.

Couldn't find anything when searching and what I did find didn't say much about everything thats needed... that and all the posts seem to be over 4 years old and I have seen a bit of talk about the SAFC or whatever equipment being worthless now..

Anyway, I'll be grateful for any help.

·
13,727 Posts
I'll take a stab at this one. I'm in the same boat, and apparently the one to get is the Greddy Emanage ultimate ($500-600). This one supposedly will allow to you raise your redline, as well as a million other settings. They make a Greddy emanage blue for about half the price, but it will not let you change you redline. The ultimate also has a self-tuning feature as well.

From what I understand, you will need to have it tuned on a dyno (unless you know how yourself.) If you search around on here, some people have some pretty good basemaps for you to start with until you can have it tuned. The Apex SAFC will tune about the same as the emanage blue from what I understand, however you get that little stupid display with it and no good place on the dash to install it.

If you do this, I would recommend you pick up the harness with it so you can just plug it in and go. Otherwise you will have a million wires to deal with and if you try to sell the car will be a nightmare to get it back out.

·
13,727 Posts
I forgot a few things. Other than the module, and the recommended quick harness, I do not believe you need anything else (other than a wallet full of cash to have it tuned.) I have heard that if the thing is tuned right, you will notice a difference, especially off the line. You are just basically tuning the fuel mixture to take advantage of the upgrades you have bought. If you plan on going turbo then definately get the emanage ultimate. It will be one less thing to buy later.

After the cam gear, intake / exhaust, and some "Powered by Toyota" stickers, there is not much more you can do to it. Having read these reviews like crazy over the last month or so, I believe this is definately a must have. I dont think it will be a huge difference, but enough to notice.

On a side note, it appears that these threads rarely mention upgrading the tranny at all. If you have an automatic and dont mind the firm shifts, I would get the valvebody upgrade kit. This definately will shave some time off your 1/4 mile and make the car feel quicker.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm... I'm trying not to spend too much... I'll get it tuned at the same time that I get the cam gear tuned...

So its really just plug and go? No displays that I need to install in the car or anything to make sure I'm not getting ready to explode?

I'm also guessing that if I were to install this before exhaust I would end up needing to get it tuned again after the exhaust install wouldn't I?

Ha someone sell me a pair of headers that work with the stock Y.

·
13,727 Posts
If you get the quick connect harness, it is a plug and go. However, it still needs to be tuned. As far as the display goes, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, you do not get one with the emanage system. Obviously you would want to install a air/fuel gauge, but it basically is just a plug up-tune, and hide deal. Wait till you get the exhaust installed before you tune it.

That harness is not cheap. I see them for around $200+. The emanage ultimate goes for over $500, and the blue is anywhere from $200+. If you go to the is.store you will see complete engine management kits with cable that run $800+. Needless to say, its not cheap, but like I said earlier, after the intake/exhaust/cam gear add ons you really don't have to much more you can do.

I personally am debating which emanage I want to go with. I think the Blue will fit my needs, but I cannot seem to find any posts on here that list the pro/cons of that unit from the ultimate. Maybe someone on here can fill us in.

I plan to get a base dyno on my car next week, and have plans to document what gains I get from each part I add and post them on the forum. Good luck with your cam gear and tuning!

·
Registered
324 Posts
There is a drawback to the e-manage. Actually, a few. If you decide to upgrade your injectors (eg, going turbo), the e-manage can only handle injectors 1.5x bigger than stock, which I believe is ~270cc. So if you do the math, the maximum size you can upgrade to is 405cc. Anything higher and you would not be able to tune accurately.

Also, setting up he e-manage can be somewhat difficult. You must set the jumpers to what is recommend for the IS. There is a thread that speaks about this somewhere. These were my 2 biggest pet peeves. I've only experience with the blue version; maybe the ultimate does not have these issues. What I used not instead is the AEM F/IC. It's like the e-manage blue but more advanced with better features. I made a thread explaining it here: http://my.is/forums/f114/aem-f-ic-my-short-unofficial-review-opinion-few-pics-347266/

·
Registered
791 Posts
It's no biggie with jumper setting at all. Just a matter of taking off 4 screws, pull the board out, and set the jumpers. I can give you the jumper list if you want. The next thing you need is a base map with correct parameters for the IS with everything else set to 0. If you search under E-manage Ultimate or EMU you'll find a lot of info you need. One thing I'd like to add is the EMU can change the cylinder timing while the blue or Apexi can't. You probably can tune the a/f by yourself if you have a wideband and know what you're doing, but to tune the timing I think the best (may be only) way is to do it on a dyno. For newbies at this like me, these websites are good places to start:

my.is, of course.
MOHD PARTS!
E-Manage Support Forums
E-manage_Ultimate : E-manage Ultimate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts