Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been discussed before, but like many others I was unable to find what I was looking for. How are AEM intakes compared to other brands for the IS? Im going to be getting a new one but dont want to spend 400 bucks for the SRT so I was looking for alternatives. Had Injen but I believe I just sold it ....

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
performance wise, all short ram intakes are very similar if you dont have a piggyback.
if you want to notice a gain from an intake then you should get a CAI w/ or afc/afr/srt race ecu/black box/etc. if not you could barely tell the difference. Now if you want to unleash the sound of the 2jz then get the intake, but dont look for a big performance increase.

IMO if you dont want to spend too much get this intake
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38634&item=2440948024
it comes w/ a original K&N filter (i think aem uses the same filter)
i bought a intake from this seller before and the product was shipped on time and was good qaulity best of all its only $80

sorry im not too familiar w/ the aem intake but i heard its nothing special

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Please don't waste your money on those shitty looking ebay intakes. You can get a K&N typhoon or FIPK for between $230 and $270. I have the FIPK and I love it....great sound, good looks, and comes with a heatshield. (AEM has no heatshield)

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have the AEM intake, had it on for over 30k miles now. I love the sound at high rpms, not too loud. and it looks great under the hood. I agree that most intakes are all the same, the gain is negligible without a new ECU or AFC.

There have been mixed reviews regarding the AEM i believe, discussed on this board on several occasions. One important thing to note is that 50% of IS owners who have put the AEM intake in their car will have their Check Engine light come on. I guess i was one of the lucky ones who didn't.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
craniac24 said:
Please don't waste your money on those shitty looking ebay intakes. You can get a K&N typhoon or FIPK for between $230 and $270. I have the FIPK and I love it....great sound, good looks, and comes with a heatshield. (AEM has no heatshield)
Looks clean to me, but thats my opinion. BUT.... is it a K&N Intake kit or just a K&N Filter on a pipe?.....
I mean, look at the PLP Silent Intake, its just a pipe and a replacement filter for the stock air box, but it looks clean.
My Injen is a pipe with a filter. It replaces the stock air box, but it also sucks in hot engine bay air as well as some of the air coming from the ram.
The intakes I've heard of that make a noticiable difference are the ones with some sort of A/F ECU modification as well.
Area 51 and their Black Box and the SRT intake.
Any other intake you get will be more noticiable with some sort of A/F controller.
Veteranos, correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
?

No offense to anyone who has responded but please dont reply as if Im an inexperienced individual, I appretiate the help, I was simply wondering whether or not it was an effective producted. I currently have Injen which makes the exhuast sound great, but Im not quite sure if it had much of a performance effect. I think Ill just buy myself a SAFC and see how it goes. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Re: ?

4NTOY said:
No offense to anyone who has responded but please dont reply as if Im an inexperienced individual, I appretiate the help, I was simply wondering whether or not it was an effective producted. I currently have Injen which makes the exhuast sound great, but Im not quite sure if it had much of a performance effect. I think Ill just buy myself a SAFC and see how it goes. Thanks
yeah sorry i really didnt answer your question, but if you get a safc w/ your injen intsake you would definately notice a difference. if you just replace your injen and only get the aem intake you wouldnt notice a difference.

BTW when you say that the Injen intake makes your exhuast sound great, your intake is the one that actually makes the great "roaring" sound

goodluck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts