Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone know which one will give you a better light output also picture comparisons would be great to.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
forget them both. TSX projectors! sorry but I don't have a pic. just have experience from loaner cars.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
TSX projectors are made by the same company that makes the s2000's. similar light output.

if you do it right they will outdo the e46 and q45 in terms of cutoff and coloration.

·
Registered
66 Posts
TSX projectors are made by the same company that makes the s2000's. similar light output.

if you do it right they will outdo the e46 and q45 in terms of cutoff and coloration.
The TSX projectors are nice, I was going to do them on my Supra but I changed my mine and will end doing the TL retrofit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are the TL and TSX same size I want the ones that will also fill out the area the most so the bezel won't show as much

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
the TLs you will need to make sure you have enough mounting space. they are much larger than the TSXs due to the bixenon cutoff mechanism.

i still think the TSX and S2000 projectors have the sharpest cutoff out there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Is the TSX projector retrofit common? If not does anyone have pictures of this, I am no stranger to doing work, but wondering how difficult a TSX projector swap would be.

·
Registered
642 Posts
From personal experience, TSX/s2000/RX330 all have 2.5" projector lenses while the TL/ BMW X5, E46 have 3" lenses... in terms of filling out the lo beam beam area more, less bezel...you may want to look into the 3" lenses...Q45 projector fills out the entire area....

by color mod, thats just changing out inner projector shield right?

·
Registered
886 Posts
From personal experience, TSX/s2000/RX330 all have 2.5" projector lenses while the TL/ BMW X5, E46 have 3" lenses... in terms of filling out the lo beam beam area more, less bezel...you may want to look into the 3" lenses...Q45 projector fills out the entire area....

by color mod, thats just changing out inner projector shield right?

The 3" E46's are the BiXenon's, the single xenons are the smaller 2.5" type. Just a FYI. ;)

The idea behind color modding, is to create more space between the HID's shield and the lense. Some shields can be "bent" slightly, and I do mean very slightly(it doesn't take much). Bending the shield inward towards the bulb creates more space between it and the lense.

Other shields aren't bendable(TSX), so you do the "washer mod" which spaces out the outer lense housing further from the base/reflector/shield housing. We're talking millimeters of space here..

Research more at hidplanet, there's more than enough info to keep you reading for hours.

Some projectors handle "color modding" differently.. Like single xenon E46's. Bending the shield a bit produces more color and keeps the clarity pretty much the same as stock.. Doing the washer mod however, decreases clarity while producing more color.. Trade off's are common with color modding.

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
TSX projectors have a great cutoff, but are not the brightest projector out there. A modded S2K projector (with a TSX or ZKW lens) will be the brightest available, and by installing a curved shield, will have the best cutoff as well. There are many tutorials on how to improve the cutoff, but some respond better than others.

I did the e46 bixenon projectors because I wanted to paint my high beam housings to match.

And in regards to not seeing the whole housing, I don't know why people just install them without bezels, or go for half ass small bezels. I made my own bezels using cereal bowls. Anyone who has seen my headlights that doesn't own an IS300 cannot tell that I've done anything with them, and I've been told they are the cleanest set of IS300 projectors ever put together.

You gotta shop around for the right size bowl, but in the end, it's worth it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the info def. found what i was lookin for

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
which will give you the best light output out of the 3" lenses?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts