Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

a rock from my neighbors lawnmower the size of a pea shattered my drivers side barn door on my clubbie yesterday.

now comes the pain, closest dealer is 2hrs away. local any-name mobile window repair can fix it but i don't think i should let them bang up my car to get the window in because they never did it before.

looking like i will be going to chicago for the day to get this fixed.

who does your glass repair? dealer? mobile van glass pimps? do you do factory replacement?

i have replaced more glass in my 2 mini's than all my previous cars combined.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
I've used safelite for glass replacement without issue. Just make sure you request OEM glass or they might put in aftermarket glass.

·
Banned
12,268 Posts
I've used local places (not stealers). Sometimes it takes them longer (took 3 weeks on my 300zx because they ordered the wrong one). As long as they have it in stock it's a 2 hour job tops.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Since its a new model the peeps who do glass from the back of the van wouldn't know how to do it well, maybe?

Go to Chicago. Have a better day then you would have had at home.

I've only had glass replaced on my IS once, I got my windshield replaced last summer because it was all chipped and pitted from the highway. Also Florida lets you get an almost free windshield every year through your insurance, because apparently its really important to the safety of the vehicle. Had it done at a 3rd party body shop.

·
Exclusive Agent
3,582 Posts
That is covered under your comprehensive deductible from your auto insurance. Many places have a $0 or $100 deductible. Aftermarket glass is just as good as the OEM, the only difference is the label on the glass. There are only 3 major glass manufacturers and everybody buys from them, from Auto makers, to glass companies. The biggest concern is not the glass itself, but the urathane seal they use.
The glass companies that I use are:

AutoGlass Center 800.469.2452
Glass America 630.305.6060
Allstar Auto Glass 1.888.54GLASS
Express Auto Glass 630.955.9900
Service Auto Glass 800.560.1644

Probably the 2 best out of those are AutoGlass Centers and Glass America.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've used safelite for glass replacement without issue. Just make sure you request OEM glass or they might put in aftermarket glass.
I just picked up my car from Safelite on Monday and now hear draft noises on the highway. Looks like I'll have to take it back to have it checked out -

I purchased my 2008 IS 350 new in January and recently got a huge crack in the windshield - about halfway across.

When I called Nationwide, I was transferred straight to safelite. I wasn't sure if my Insurance would go through anyone but Safelite for the Windshield replacement. I Also went with LOF/Pilkington because there would be a $700 price difference between going with OEM glass making the out of pocket amount for me $800 due to deductible (would have to pay extra for OEM glass since I don't have the OEM parts insurance (I asked more on the OEM parts add on and it would be $40-$50 extra - not sure if it's every 6months or a year - debating on if I should get it)).

She said my IS 350 only had the Rain sensor though - no acoustic layer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts