Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday when I parked the car I noticed the drivers side bulb was a purplish hue.. so I did a few searches on the forum with the end result being "What the frigg, it's time for a new headlight!?" Looked at a few options last night and had my eyes on a pair of GE 4200k bulbs. Tonight things took a turn for the worse.. it's happening on the passenger side now. The odds are astronomical that they're both going out at the same time, so I just wanted to ask if there's anything else that could have contributed to this? And just to clarify, the problem was on the left and now it's on the right. In both cases there was one of the headlights working properly, the problem just changed sides.

From what I can gather, the only thing I may have done to cause this problem is disable the DRL by unplugging that unit so I plugged it back in, but it hasn't seemed to help. Only change on my end was a slight increase in temperature. It went from freezing to around 47-60F, making for a nice week! :bigSmile: Any insight, suggestions, or feedback would be greatly appreciated here.

Thanks,
- Jason

·
Registered
36 Posts
i don't think your problem is the DRL being disconnected. might just be bad luck that the other bulb went out but when it starts to get that low purple color its a sign that the bulb is going out then its going to start to flicker then shut off

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Alright, I understand that a purplish light normally means that it's going bad, but my driver side was purple and went back to the normal bluish-white the next day(BUT- at the same time the drivers side returned to being white, the passenger side which was white the day before ended up turning purple). Do the bulbs traditionally have good days and bad when they're starting to go? From what I understood reading the forums it turns purple *permenantly* until it flickers and eventually shorts out when it's a bad bulb.

It is highly unorthodox that both of the bulbs are going at the same time. When I was searching purple lights or headlight problems last night on the forums I found a thread that ended with the same problem I'm having now(the alternating purple light). Does anyone think it could be a loose connection somewhere? I'm not familliar with the wiring assembly so I'm stumped on where to start with this one.

Thanks,
- Jason

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
No...Change your HID bulbs.

They will continue to change color, until they stop working completely.

Both have a rated life, you have reached the end of yours. It common to have both bulbs go at the same time, as they operate under the same conditions (together). Brake lights often do this as well as regular halogen light bulbs.

Change them both, which is easy, because they are sold in pairs anyways. Yes they typically will flicker or change back, as you boot them up..... they may stay normal for a while, but always return to the same state at some point.

If this fails to solve the problem, then move to the ballasts, but I'm pretty sure from your description you just need new bulbs.

BTW - your DRLs are halogen and not even connected to the headlights, so unplugging the module will not have effected them.

Digger08

Reactions: Saint242

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No...Change your HID bulbs.

They will continue to change color, until they stop working completely.

Both have a rated life, you have reached the end of yours. It common to have both bulbs go at the same time, as they operate under the same conditions (together). Brake lights often do this as well as regular halogen light bulbs.

Change them both, which is easy, because they are sold in pairs anyways. Yes they typically will flicker or change back, as you boot them up..... they may stay normal for a while, but always return to the same state at some point.

If this fails to solve the problem, then move to the ballasts, but I'm pretty sure from your description you just need new bulbs.

BTW - your DRLs are halogen and not even connected to the headlights, so unplugging the module will not have effected them.

Digger08
Thanks Digg, I figured as much with the DRLs, but I wasn't sure if the wiring assembly for the HID went through the same relay. I never had two bulbs go out at the same time, it just struck me as odd that it would go purple one night and run blue the next day. Ordered up those GE bulbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.