Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This week we'll be looking at a 2001 IS300 for my sister around Austin,TX. After scanning these forums, there don't appear to be any major problems that would be common to these cars. Are there specific questions that we should be asking when looking to purchase this model with ~70K miles on the odometer? I'd appreciate any and all input that would make us a couple of very well-informed buyers :).

Many thanks,

Bart

·
Registered
349 Posts
These cars are pretty solid. The engine is overbuilt compared to other cars in it's class/price.

When looking at the car, check the service log (should be in with the owners manual) for service and maint done. Make sure the service was done at the correct mileage/intervals and was stamped on each instance.

Run a carfax, or ask the dealer for one. Reputable dealers provide free carfax for their customers.

Turn on the engine, let it warm a bit, and listen for any unusual ticking or "buzzing". I found a few with some funky engine noises while I was looking.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Well, have the car check out throughly by a trusted mechanic or a Lexus dealer. Ask to see the service records of the car. If it's not dealer maintained, you can have a Lexus dealer ran the vin # and pull up the warranty service history of the car. You car also ran a CarFax. Beside having it checked out, you should also check out the car throughly, exterior, interior and make sure everything is functioning properly.

Welcome aboard, enjoy surfing the site and good luck. :)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
If you search the internet you can find some kind of generic checklist to go by. If it's a private party the checklist will come in handy and probably intimidate them if there hiding something.

·
Registered
277 Posts
a few things to check

I have an '01 and the only things I ran into thankfully were covered under warranty. You may want to see if the stereo has been replaced due to CD's being gobbled up by the player. Mine was replaced at about 15K miles.
Also check to see if the 02 sensor has been replaced, as mine went just before the warranty ended. This would have cost me about $500 had it not been covered.
Check the Tire wear as the factory Bridgestones only get about 25K miles on them.
Other than that the car is a wise purchase! I now have 52K miles on my car and trouble free.

·
Whatever they say I am...
2,700 Posts
I purchased an '01 with 55,000 miles back in Jan. Only problem I had was the CD player went out, I'm at 78,000 now. The last owner left all service records in the car.(which is a plus, look for that) The 02 sensor was replaced back at 34,000 miles. Other than that no problems. I bought it from a Chevy Dealership and they did a Carfax report for me as well. I too scanned this board before buying, and I couldnt really come up with a lot of major issues with the IS. Its a solid car. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Another thing that I would look into was to check all the fluids in the car. It will tell you a lot if someone took care of the car, or just drove it to hell from day one. Tranny, Engine, Engine Coolant, Brake Fluid, Power Steering. All these little things should give you a good idea of how the car was maintained. True, there could be a case that dealer changed them just before he put it out on the lot for sale, but for the most part dealers try to invest as little money into a car as possible. Goodluck with your purchase.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys. I appreciate all your responses. It looks like there weren't any major issues with these cars if you don't count the O2 sensor and the CD changer. This car seems like a pretty safe investment for my sis. If someone asked me for a list of common problems with what I'm driving right now (E36 328is), the list would be a bit more extensive :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
guestis300 said:
Thanks Guys. I appreciate all your responses. It looks like there weren't any major issues with these cars if you don't count the O2 sensor and the CD changer. This car seems like a pretty safe investment for my sis. If someone asked me for a list of common problems with what I'm driving right now (E36 328is), the list would be a bit more extensive :)
Finally, a BMW owner willing to admit it! Thank you! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts