Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

New to this community here. I am looking to purchase a 2001 IS as a DD for around $4k. Just wanted to know if this was a good deal, and what I should be looking out for with something that high of mileage. It's mainly going to be used just to get to and from work, about 7 miles each way, all local. In Vegas, so nlo snow. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think these are great daily drivers despite their bad gas mileage. 4k for 180k miles may be a little steep, though I may have gotten lucky when I got mine for 2500 with 138k miles. Definitely check for timing belt replacements and see if that's something you'll have to worry about. Also it's pretty common for these cars to have bad sensors but that shouldn't be a serious deciding factor, just something you could use to help bring the price down. One of my sensors has been out since I got the car around a year ago but I don't really mind driving without abs, traction control, etc you just have to be extra careful, especially in the rain. Lastly, check for rust. My 01 spent almost the entirety of its life down south but still had a little bit of rust.

These are just a couple of things I'd look out for, obviously there's more general stuff to be cautious of but these were the main things that I was concerned about when I got mine. I personally think IS300's are exceptional cars for the money, they're very reliable especially left stock and would make for a fun commuter that shouldn't give you too many problems. Just be sure to bring a mechanic to help check it out if you don't know what to look for.

Do you have any plans for modifying it, or do you want to keep stock? One thing I regret doing was not researching the cost of modifying is300's, they aren't exactly cheap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would you guys say is a fair price for an '01 with 180k miles?

At 150k miles - timing belt, water pump, thermostat, and vvt solenoid gasket replaced, as well as full tune up
Stock Shocks, but fronts were just replaced recently, same with disc brakes in the front

·
Registered
22 Posts
In my area, if it is clean with some receipts, maybe as much as like $4500. My buddy just purchased a clean 02 auto with 162k for $4800. My 04 with 123k was $5800.

·
Registered
598 Posts
That price isn't horrible if it's been maintained and in good shape.

One thing to look at is the lower ball joints in the front tend to go with high miles (search the forum and the IS Facebook page and you'll see). Same with the No. 2 lower controls arms in the front.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts