Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently install the Pulstar plugs. When first started the car seems fine smooth idle. Stayed on until I took it for a drive, turn a corner and the car just stalls. Start back up fine drove for a few feet and stall again. I reset the ecu start up and it ran fine. While idling two minute later the car stall. Start back up and this time idle for almost 5 min and then stall. Is it the ecu learning or some sort of sensor seeing huge spark or misfire and shut the car down? Any help please. Took a while to replace the plugs and don't want to have to remove them.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Maybe you intalled them wrong? I would double check everything.

After that let me know if you feel a difference in performance and smoothness. Im thinking about getting them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah..good idea to recheck..but remember if it don't work you can always put regular plugs back in
Just when I was about to check it out. The car wouldn't start now. Just turns and don't start. I took out the plugs and notice that one of them was burnt blue. Put new regular plugs in and still the car don't start. Check my fuse and notice that it broke. The ffruse rom my AEM CDI to the battery popped. Changed the fused and still dont start. You think my AEM CDI is dead now? or igniter or coils. Damn what a pain in an ass. I called the company and they say it might be a bad plug. But what about my ignition stuff seems all dead. The company is sending a new plugs now and return the old ones. Can anyone help me out where to start? I don't want to have to buy all these stuff to replace. How can i checl weather the AEM CDI is working or the igniter is working or the coil? Any help? You think the company will pay for the damage their plugs has caused? Damn it. Can't drive to the show tonight now at Boston. Anyone around here going?

V

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Try running the old plugs. Or if the AEM really is shot, and you really want to go to the car show...run the stock igniter.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I think there are more than 1 fuse for ignition. Did you check them all?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
try the main fuse..oh yeah..before all of this happend did you make sure you put the coils to the correct plugs?..i belive its..1,6 2,5 3,4
Check everything the AEM CDI is dead gone. How did this happen? I took the AEM out and reinstall back to normal and the car start fine with my regular plugs and igniter. Just got the new replacement Pulstar plugs today and will put it in and try again this weekend but I guess without my AEM. Might just get HKS twin power instead.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i cant feel anything.. my car is in desperate need of a fine-tuning after many recent mods. i can see it getting a few more horses on the dyno but nothing you could notice. i bet you could feel the dif on a stock car that really needs new plugs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
wow guess those pulsar plugs dont work with ignition boosters i've been wanting to give em a try but now that i hear that ill stick to the stock densos and my HKS DLI

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
wow guess those pulsar plugs dont work with ignition boosters i've been wanting to give em a try but now that i hear that ill stick to the stock densos and my HKS DLI
your boosted and using stock plugs?

thats the best anyways HKS DLI paired to NGK/Denso plugs, copper plugs even better

·
Registered
70 Posts
I do not recommend to anybody to mix an ignition booster device with spark plugs that have also the same technology embedded.

Why? simple: one of the stand alone ignition booster features is usually to hold up the energy to later be discharged. So when that big impact hits the spark plug, it can produce a more powerful spark. But using spark plugs that “hope” to see a continuous electrical current will suffer as they will be hit with a quick impact of energy and will have no other option but to discharge it as it is.

So technically, using both systems together should do absolutely no difference than using just one (as far as boosting the enrgy). But the main problem is that unless the spark plug manufacturer (on this case Pulstar) can confirm it is ok to do this mix, I bet that most spark plugs will burn out or worse, reject the extra power which at this point has no other option but to go back… to where? To the booster, blowing it up.

I think that is what actually happened to laoreflxzn, it just takes one spark plug that is not strong enough, or worse, a bad one, to blow you aftermarket equipment. Or maybe the Pulstar plugs didn’t like the multiple discharges that the booster also produces. Who knows… And Lexus will not help if they find out you blew up a stock part because of using some aftermarket product. Not that I am against it (I always use aftermarket stuff), but you have to do some research before mixing devices, even if it means to make 1000 phone calls to the different manufacturers technical support.

I saw that kyosahnim was able to run the plugs with a booster. All I can say on that is to be careful, and if possible, still call both companies and find out if this mix is safe. Running “strong” doesn’t mean it will not blow up at any time. They might even tell you what to do to make it safer, you never know.

If you already have a booster, I would suggest staying as it is, just like jbtechr said. As for me, I have no booster, but I am still debating between a booster or to try the plugs. I don’t like the fact that the Pulstar only last around 50K miles. Some good plugs will last al least twice as long and even three times that. I need to see more “evidence” before I decide.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts