Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

I'm planning on installing a crank pulley or a pulley set, has anyone had them installed? Is that interfering with AC and Audio etc.? Do you think I'll run into those problems?

Also flywheel, what are the disadvantages of changing the flywheel? What kind of performance gain am i looking at?

What would changing the clutch do to performance?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
dj-jay said:
hi guys,

I'm planning on installing a crank pulley or a pulley set, has anyone had them installed? Is that interfering with AC and Audio etc.? Do you think I'll run into those problems?

Also flywheel, what are the disadvantages of changing the flywheel? What kind of performance gain am i looking at?

What would changing the clutch do to performance?

Thanks.

Don't do the pulleys. You will have future reliability issues. The stock pulleys have a "dampening" characteristic that helps with the wear and tear on the engine--don't do them.

For the clutch and flywheel, the clutch will add more to your "off the line" performance due to more "grab." Keep the stock flywheel if you are not going with f/i.

·
Registered
8 Posts
call unorthodox raceing, they will tell you for every 1 lb youll gain about 2 hourse power.I personally have the flywheel and pulley set the gain is aprox 23 hp and 30 ft ld tq.ps stage 3 clutch w sprung hub.

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
fenderbender said:
call unorthodox raceing, they will tell you for every 1 lb youll gain about 2 hourse power.I personally have the flywheel and pulley set the gain is aprox 23 hp and 30 ft ld tq.ps stage 3 clutch w sprung hub.
I'm sure they would never fib either.

read this and tell me what you think about swapping the crank pulley afterwards.
http://www.supras.com/~riemer/sonictech/tet/dualratedamper.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guess not...

I currently have a CAI and an SAFC... After christmas I hope to have a Y-Pipe, Greddy EVO, CAI and SAFC Dynoed... how much gain am I looking at? What else can I do without making the car obnoxiously loud and without using boost?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
dj-jay said:
Guess not...

I currently have a CAI and an SAFC... After christmas I hope to have a Y-Pipe, Greddy EVO, CAI and SAFC Dynoed... how much gain am I looking at? What else can I do without making the car obnoxiously loud and without using boost?

Thanks
cai? did you cut your chassis because their isnt a way to have a cai setup for our cars

im guessing you would prob gain around 15hp give or take a couple ponies the afc contributing to most of the gain

you can also get a plasma booster, engine porting work (costs too much, but you really cant port that much out of the 2jz), gutting out your car (every 100lb shaves off .1 off of the quarter or so i hear), also if you have an auto you would benefit from a grounding kit, and a tbko esk for better shifting

most importantly spraying a 300,000 shot of NAAWWS ,a huge ass aluminum wing made by NOS, cool NOS and Vtec stickers, and a sextuple (6) exhuasts 1 pipe for each cylinder of course also made by NOS haha :wink:
thats all i can think of

happy mod'ing

·
Registered
740 Posts
IS_Dude wrote:
read this and tell me what you think about swapping the crank pulley afterwards.
http://www.supras.com/~riemer/sonictech/tet/dualratedamper.html[/quote]

Excellent article! I'm a mechanical engineer and I do these type of analysis at work, so I know what they're talking about. For you guys who don't understand this shit, just watch the film of the Tacoma bridge when the wind hit it at resonance. If you stick some pulley or flywheel that structurally falls into the resonance of the crank revolution, it will destroy your bearings first then your pistons and whatever around it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After reading through this thread and the article posted above, I still don't understand how the pulley has that great an effect on the bearings and pistons? I was under the impression that the crank pulley is sort of like the flywheel...simply bolted to the end of the crankshaft to do a different job (power the accessories/set timing, etc.). I'm not following the other issues...flexibility? Twisting? Would someone please take the time to explain this to me? Thanks.

·
Registered
422 Posts
gcs118 said:
After reading through this thread and the article posted above, I still don't understand how the pulley has that great an effect on the bearings and pistons? I was under the impression that the crank pulley is sort of like the flywheel...simply bolted to the end of the crankshaft to do a different job (power the accessories/set timing, etc.). I'm not following the other issues...flexibility? Twisting? Would someone please take the time to explain this to me? Thanks.
read it again slowly and look at the pictures carefully

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,619 Posts
2pac said:
gcs118 said:
read it again slowly and look at the pictures carefully
have you ever spun a beach ball in the air??? notice how it wobbles??? same thing...basically, when you spin something that has more weight on one side than the other, it will vibrate at a certain resonance when spun....

bascially, when you add something else to this spinning mass, it will cause it to be unbalanced...

check this site out for some info on harmonic balancers...it might give you a basic understanding of what these guys might be talking about...
http://www.fluidampr.com/problem.html

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
fluidamp, DAMN! now thats a dope article :eek:

HyperMKIV you one smart homeboy

i was wondering if we (is300) push 400whp should we consider this? or better yet when should we consider this?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yeah, same as driving your car with the balancing lead weight missing from your wheel. The car can shake pretty good. Pulley, flywheel or crankshaft are spinning at much higher rpm than at the wheels, so the effect is much worse. I'm not saying that these shops make such bad piece of metals that are out of balance. That's easy these days with hi-tech CNC machines. It's the engineering that these guys are lacking of. Every component has a resonant frequency regardless how stiff or how strong they are or what material they're made of, but they all have a weakness that is its resonance frequency. When the car company designs an engine, they know what frequency their engine resonates at, so they design parts to avoid this spot. If your part hits this spot, you're dead. I would trust after-market components if they are static i.e. exhaust, sways, etc... but if they're moving parts, watch out.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,619 Posts
goldznnz said:
fluidamp, DAMN! now thats a dope article :eek:

HyperMKIV you one smart homeboy

i was wondering if we (is300) push 400whp should we consider this? or better yet when should we consider this?
naw...not smart...i'm just one of those guys who can say "been there, done that" we had these units on our mustangs...we tried so many different things over the years on all types of cars...we learn by not only our own experiences, but from the experience of our peers and competitors...most of the topics we cover here stem from automotive basics...

anyway...one thing everyone forgot to cover with aftermarket pulleys...if you're in an area where it gets really hot, don't get this...also, anyone who has a high powered steroe...don't get these either. the pulley system slows down your alternator and water pump...when the alternator gets too hot, it doesn't put out as much power. also, if it's spinning slower it doesn't crank out enough current to power everything...specially at night when your stereo is all cranked up. something that a lot of people overlook with under drive pulleys...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Not to argue the valid points of the other posters but I have run the UR underdrive pulleys and lightened flywheel for an entire race season with zero problems. If you are considering this mod I would e-mail the folks at UR with your questions.

On the race car we have removed the A/C so we're driving fewer accessories. Just a real world success story for a severely abused Lexus IS 300.
: )

-Derek

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,619 Posts
Derekb said:
Not to argue the valid points of the other posters but I have run the UR underdrive pulleys and lightened flywheel for an entire race season with zero problems. If you are considering this mod I would e-mail the folks at UR with your questions.

On the race car we have removed the A/C so we're driving fewer accessories. Just a real world success story for a severely abused Lexus IS 300.
: )

-Derek
good info derek...how's the racing coming along anyway???

for those who don't know derek, he's from one of the local lexus dealerships here in the area (norcal)...

along with what derek said above, his car does have some of the accessories removed...so my point about the electrical system straining can still be valid for certain situations...

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I got em on my ride and I got full audio ...No problems here...
-Matt

1 - 20 of 20 Posts