Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I got started doing the tbelt on my is300 again. It’s due based on age and has no problems other than a minor oil leak or two. After I got the crank pulley off I saw that it had been rubbing and melting the lower timing belt cover. This will be my 4th tbelt change that Ihave personally done on this car - yes I’ve owned it for more than 15 years and it’s been very trouble free even with 236k miles.

1) It looked like my timing belt cover was properly seated with no gaps or anything weird, so I don’t think it was something with the cover.

2) The crank pulley has a very slight gap between the pulley for the accessory drive and the harmonic balancer. My initial thought was that the pulley needs to be replaced, but the rubber doesn’t look in bad shape and doesn’t really look like it’s moved. Is the back (balancer) portion of the pulley mounted via rubber or is it all one piece and cant move backwards? I tried to figure it out for sure, but didn’t come to a conclusion. Car shows no other classic signs of the pulley going bad - no weird noises, no belt squeal, vibration, etc. The engine at idle is smoother than both my 2013 Honda Pilot and 06 330i.

3) Yes, the bolt was tight and the pulley required a puller to remove - just like always.

4) Supra guys seem to see this problem a decent amount and it maybe associated with crank walk. Problem is that my car is 100% stock AND an automatic... so crank walk seems just about impossible. I’m going to get out my dial indicator tomorrow and see what my reading is for thrust on the crank just to be sure.

Anyone else ever see this? Am I just an idiot and didn’t get the cover on flat last time? Sure didn’t seem like it, but I never rule myself out as the cause. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ummm 236k on the oem balancer.... you got your money’s worth lol. Replace it, common problem not just the is300 but also the RX. Saw a few shoot out the pulley back in my dealer days.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, thank you both! Glad to hear it can shoot backwards. I’m fine with replacing it, I just don’t like to parts cannon it if it wasn’t possibly the problem.

SKP or Dayco from Rockauto seem like an ok replacement? OEM is nearly $500. There is also someone selling them with good ratings for $43 bux on ebay... but I worry about going too cheap. The car currently drives 2-3k miles a year and needs paint, but runs so good I can’t get rid of it... but I also struggle to justify new OEM prices because the cars value is obviously so low.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Awesome, thank you both! Glad to hear it can shoot backwards. I’m fine with replacing it, I just don’t like to parts cannon it if it wasn’t possibly the problem.

SKP or Dayco from Rockauto seem like an ok replacement? OEM is nearly $500. There is also someone selling them with good ratings for $43 bux on ebay... but I worry about going too cheap. The car currently drives 2-3k miles a year and needs paint, but runs so good I can’t get rid of it... but I also struggle to justify new OEM prices because the cars value is obviously so low.
You can get an upgrade with an aftermarket. SummitRacing has a Fluidampr for a good deal. No rubber to go bad ether.
Or regular stuff

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, should have included pictures. The pulley really doesn’t look that bad to my eye. I tried my best to measure crank thrust movement - I really couldn’t get any movement on the dial indicator, maybe a hair but it was tough with angles and where to push / pull. I don’t think it walked.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I would assume the balancer is bad as well, it doesnt look like the balancer has been floating on the shaft and i seriously doubt you would have that much float of the crank to allow the pulley to hit the cover. If you did the cover is the least of your worries!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah - this engine seems really solid. Runs perfectly smooth / reliably and doesn't burn any more oil than it did when it had 73k miles on it so it didn't seem likely that I'd have any major problems with the engine and crank walk. Crank seems tight. I ordered a new knock off balancer from amazon... it's cheap (~$85) but has good reviews and should be easy to send back if it sucks. They're all probably made in the same place anyway so I'm going to give it a shot. The car is only driven 2k - 3k miles a year anyway and rarely goes more than about 15 miles from my house.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the new cheap one from Amazon and put it back together this evening. All is well and it’s smooth with no wobble. For $80 bux I’m happy so far! I guess the old one did move a few mm back because the new one stuck out slightly more and doesn’t rub. Thanks for all the help guys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts