Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone with Xerd race pipe on there car get pulled over before ? I was wondering what are the consequences?

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
kaoticISdriver said:
Has anyone with Xerd race pipe on there car get pulled over before ? I was wondering what are the consequences?
they prolly wont see it... why did u get pulled over? if so how the f*ck did u pull that off?

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
worst that can happen is...
they tell you to pop the hood.
see aftermarket headers/intake
and your exhaust and write you up for those.
because they're not CARB exempt.
i dont know. possibly impound your car for not being "street legal" but thats a highly unlikely.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MY car is lowered 1 inch front and back.. The out side is stock no body kit no decals.. Car is very quite. I have a blitz nur spec ( blacked out canister ) and xerd pipe and side markers. Thats about it. A cop would not bend over to check if the cat is there would they?

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
kaoticISdriver said:
MY car is lowered 1 inch front and back.. The out side is stock no body kit no decals.. Car is very quite. I have a blitz nur spec ( painted flat black but tip not painted ) and xerd pipe and side markers. Thats about it. A cop would not bend over to check if the cat is there would they?
you SHOULD be fine. just dont drive like an ass.
i run toyomoto header/ y-pipe and a HKS CF/Ti (with a blacked out canister)
no kit. not too dumped. looks pretty stock. but my sh!t is loud.
if i have to pop the hood its a gamble. i got AEM intake and PLP heatsheild over my header. who knows what will happen?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is your headers as illegal as XERD PIPE>? btw i dont have anything under the hood.. its completly stock under the hood..

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
you take a chance is right if they ask you to pop the hood... Most of the cops i have ran into in maryland are cool, the funny thing is most of the county cops are bigger pricks than the state cops, i know numerous ones, they will bust your chops but wont write you up for it. I know they wont pass maryland inspection with it in on but thats common sense. My friend had a Greddy Exhaust, had to get it removed and a normal exhaust put on and then had to get it reinstalled.. Thats the only time they are asses about stuff.. Most cops that I have encountered are cool with things like this..

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I doubt you can see the XERD PIPE FROM opening the hood? What are the chances of them bending over to check out if ur cat converter is there?

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
kaoticISdriver said:
I doubt you can see the XERD PIPE FROM opening the hood? What are the chances of them bending over to check out if ur cat converter is there?
You can see the converters on the OEM Y pipe really easily from looking under the hood.

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
just point at your resonator and say that is the factory cat. act all smart that you know that lexus put one large cat in the rear to be more efficient :lol:

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Lex_Dymndz said:
worst that can happen is...
they tell you to pop the hood.
see aftermarket headers/intake
and your exhaust and write you up for those.
because they're not CARB exempt.
i dont know. possibly impound your car for not being "street legal" but thats a highly unlikely.
Per to regulations, they are not authorized to look under your hood and make assumptions and write you up from their knowledge. They have to tow your car to a authorized technician to check it out. If they find nothing, all expenses (towing and inspection) on the city.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
btw if you have only the xerd race pipe, you still have TWO catalytic converters, so just point at the ones on your stock header piece and say "there they are mr officer"

·
3,221 Posts
kaoticISdriver said:
AWW MAN... well hoep fully all of us dont get busted for our mods...
Cops no longer bend over to see what's under your car. Most carry a mirror so they can look under it. If they trained on what to look for, then they'll see it. But more than likely they won't.

Has anyone tried bashing out their CAT? My cousin did it on his Jetta long ago. Cop pulled the ole mirror out and let him go because he saw what he was suppose to.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
simpdaddy said:
kaoticISdriver said:
AWW MAN... well hoep fully all of us dont get busted for our mods...
Cops no longer bend over to see what's under your car. Most carry a mirror so they can look under it. If they trained on what to look for, then they'll see it. But more than likely they won't.

Has anyone tried bashing out their CAT? My cousin did it on his Jetta long ago. Cop pulled the ole mirror out and let him go because he saw what he was suppose to.
ucla-is300 has done this, but i don't know how well it works.. he's got a toyo header with modded stock y-pipe

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so if they pull me over for lets say non complete stop at a stop sign. what will they do once they pull me over?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
kaoticISdriver said:
so if they pull me over for lets say non complete stop at a stop sign. what will they do once they pull me over?
give you a ticket or a warning and let you go. they won't check your goods unless you're driving like a madman or ur exhaust is really loud.

·
Registered
903 Posts
man i doubt that theyd notice your race pipe, alot of cars only have two cats anyway. only way they would notice anything is if they see you have aftermarket headers which you dont so theyd prolly assume your exhaust is jus loud. i wouldnt worry about the average cop looking under your car although i have seen it happen before.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts