Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently have been dieing to get the Joe-Z intake, and i finally got it today. I was actually flippin out cuz i was soooooo excited. So later taht day i installed it with a couple of friends. Yo Joe-Z all i gotta say is, thank you man. Seriously amazing intake for anyone is looking for one. It maybe cheap but its a quality item and an really easy install. This coming monday my K&N high flow air filter is coming in so i cant wait till that comes. Thanks joe
-Dante

Reactions: illestone

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really?? is it big?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
with a trd filter and the joe z pipe i got an extra 40+miles...thats 2 gallons of gas or so

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
werd im getting the K&N air filter. i cant freakin wait!! deffly need the help cuz my exhaust drinks gas like crazy plus the gas prices goin up. so yay!

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
yea when i got my exhaust..i thought it was gonna increase my mpg..but i was wrong..it seems the same even when i tried to drive as normal as i can

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i know. exhaust drinks it. wats ur next mod?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
i was thinkin of getting a y-pipe...but honestly, i've been thinkin of changing my intake into the k&n fipk...i'm not sure yet because the joez/trd combo has been treating me good...other than that b&m short shifter should be next

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmmm, ur not gonna change the crank and pulleys? or the cam gears? or tune the air fuel mixtures?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
not at the moment...man, parts for this car are expensive! :lol: those are projects for next summer..come to think of it, i prolly wanna drop it next with some coilovers but after winter...so thats prolly my next mod

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have a Joe Z i average around 19-21mpg. Once i've even reached 23 from highway driving. Is that an increase from stock?? I dunno.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
werd im thinkin bout performance now so yeaaaaaa pullin out some ponies

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
City should be around 18mpg and highway should be around 25mpg.

osmosis said:
I have a Joe Z i average around 19-21mpg. Once i've even reached 23 from highway driving. Is that an increase from stock?? I dunno.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
at one point before i had the joez/trd setup i was averaging 300 miles per full tank...since then..i've been getting 340...

·
Registered
547 Posts
So there is an improvement in fuel economy with the pipe and trd filter. Did the mileage improvement remain over time or did it go back to the original fuel economy. Here's what I'm thinking:

I suspect the Joe Z smoothes out air flow around the MAF sensor and also changes the flow around the sensor such that the engine runs leaner. If this is true, you will get better mileage, but this mileage improvement may decrease over time when the ECU adjust the long term fuel trim to bring the mixture back to stoich.

So the question for JOE-Z users is, has the fuel economy benefit remained over time??

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
it has been consistent for a couple months now, ever since the end of march to be exact..i would think the only reason effiency would decrease is because the filter becomes really dirty, thus resulting in less air flow...

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
the joe z VS stock tube:

think of the stock tube as a twisty straw with a diameter about the same as the cheap soda straws that you can find at costco. (basically, it has a loop in it so it takes a little longer for the air to pass through the pipe)

think of the joe z pipe as basically your stock pipe minus the loop (still the same small drinking straw size in diameter, but a direct straight shot path).

the only real difference you should feel with the pipe is a little more direct/instant throttle response when you go to give the car some gas... maybe a little power from just the pipe, though sometimes that can be argued here on NET... for now, lets just go with more instant throttle response.

stock filter VS. aftermarket (TRD/K&N, etc) filter

stock filter is like breathing through a small pipe, similar to a cheap straw... not very much air passes through easily.. it would be hard to run a mile using only one small straw to breathe out of.

aftermarket filter, such as TRD, is more or less like breathing outta a boba straw (or, if you are lacking that image cuz you have no idea what boba is, try thinking of it as like a straw that is the diameter of your thumb).. you can breathe a little harder and intake just a bit more air.

so basically, by switching filters, you are allowing the car to take in a bit more air (high flow) allowing your car to breathe easier especially when you get on it.

and by adding a joe z pipe, you are giving your car a more instant throttle response as opposed to a little more stock laggy one.

coup the two together, and its a nice little (subtle) recipe for success.

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
dpatterson069 said:
the joe z VS stock tube:

think of the joe z pipe as basically your stock pipe minus the loop (still the same small drinking straw size in diameter, but a direct straight shot path).

Hey David - Very Nice Analogy!!! :p

The only thing I would like to add is that the stock intake has a 2.75" interior diameter. Which is NOT smooth..
While my intake has a 3" interior diameter that is completely smooth for maximum undisrupted Air Flow.

BTW - Here is a closer look inside..

Thank You to ALL who have posted their honest opinions!! :bigSmile:

Joe Z ;)

·
Registered
661 Posts
I also purchased the JoeZ Intake used off a member on this site, and am very pleased with the results. Very clean and easy install, and the small power increase is nice too. MPG depends too much on whether the car is driven at highway speeds or around town, and because of that I cant make an accurate assumption whether or not it has helped me out on fuel economy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts