Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The projector beam head lamp was first seen in the 1988 BMW 735i and was used by several makes & models, including the Acura Integra and current Toyota Celica......The IS300 does not use the projector beam headlamps but instead a different system (used also in the GS and LS series... The old ES300 had projector beam headlamps and high beams but switched to the non projector headlamps. The same went for the previous generation GS300, which also had projector beam head lamps and now don't...However.... Audi on the other hand switched from the conventional headlamps to projector beams in their Whole model range....The Lexus LX450 had conventional headlights and switched to projector beams in the LX470.....BMW now currently only uses projector beams on their XENON headlamps....so...... my question is... Are projector beams any better than the head lamps found on say the IS300 or is it just a design/style thing.....
Eric.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Old, old ES300's had projector beam headlights (1996 or older) 1997 and newer used multi-reflector style CAD designed halogens.2000 use Xenon gas.

Benefit of projector beams: more precise light.

Benefit of multi- reflector: more precise, accurate light.

Benefit of Xenon: "Back the Fu## up, do you know who you're fu##ing with, on the 9th floor??" " Billy Ray Valentine..." "Yes..."
beat it...you made bail..."

" I did?!!" (Trading Places)
Anyways,

They are a lot more effective than anything..will be the standard lighting system of all cars soon.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I love the look of the projector bulbs better. The new infinity QX4 is interesting, the Xenon is actually the conventional light, where as the halogen high beam is the projector lamp. I would have thought it was the other way around.. I must say i am a big fan of xenon all together, even when its shining in my face and blinding me. It just looks cooler

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I think it's also a design/style issue as well. I don't think the IS300 would look as nice with the projector beam headlamps. It has a pretty face with the current set up....
Eric.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
EricK-

The headlights on the IS are called HID (High Intensity Discharge) lamps. If you've never driven a car with them, you're missing out. They work off of a 20,000 volt spark that vaporizes mercury and creates the arc. Because these lights are so bright, the car is equipped with an automatic headlight leveling system. One sensor on each end measure the amount of squat or dive and levels the lights accordingly. The lights will go through a full cycle when you turn them on, to find their natural level.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Davera4,
I have a Lexus GS400 which I bought back in 1998.. My HID lights were a $500 option but I do have them and know of their advantages... BUT the HID lights are not projector beam on the GS400 or IS300.... The Xenon lights (similar concept to the HID) are projector beam lights...
Eric.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
EricK
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing