Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has no manuals and I wanna program the homelink to open my garage door. How do I do it? Also what are the other 2 buttons for and how would i program them?

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
all three buttons can command a remote each, so you have up to three garages/gates

what you do is hold down the button of choice and then hold up the "programming" remote next to it. when the light blinks quickly its set. do this for however many remotes you have up to 3.

this is for regular remotes, there's a way to program if you have some sort of special "code changing" remote, but i dont remember off the top of my head.

·
Registered
201 Posts
btw, if you have an ancient garage door opener.. it might not work. i tried to program it for my parents garage... but the freakin thing is +20 yaers OLD!! :eek:

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
Keep in mind.. you have to have the key in the ignition and turned to the ACC position for settings to save. I like an ass tried to program the Homelink for months with no success because the Owners manual makes no reference to having the key in the ACC :lol:

3 buttons can be programmed for 3 different garage doors

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
IS_5SPD said:
I programmed my homelink to open my g/f's legs when I push the button. 8)
wow... we need a manual on how to program the homelink to do that! LOL :p

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Aubie83 said:
Programming homelink should be in the owners manual, I would think :-?
Its not. I would think they should provide a users manual for it with the car, but they do not.

However, since we are all obviously on the internet. Homelink.com has a wonderful website with all the instuctions you need to program anything it allows.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
HoustonLex said:
Aubie83 said:
Programming homelink should be in the owners manual, I would think :-?
Its not. I would think they should provide a users manual for it with the car, but they do not.

However, since we are all obviously on the internet. Homelink.com has a wonderful website with all the instuctions you need to program anything it allows.
IT IS in the 2001 manual, but it leaves out minor details that are NECESSARY !!!!! :crazy:

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yeah I have been baffled why I couldn't get my Homelink to program......I think the answer lies int eh ACC key position....good stuff. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Okay...thought the ACC thing was it...but DAMN IT!!! This stupid thing won't take. Can someone help out a really frustrated ISer with this stupid Homelink thing. I have read the manual, I have read the garage door manual, I have called Lexus service, I have looked on the homelink website, I have done everything!!! I have a brand-new garage door opener from a house that was just built in July of 2002. The garage door manual says it is a rolling code. So what I have tried so far (among a thousand other ways):

1- Car in the garage. Put car key into ACC position. Hit the learn button on the opener, the red light comes on. I get into the car and press & hold the homelink button for a couple seconds, press & hold again, press & hold again, then press & hold again....nothing. [this was the process from Lexus Manual]

2 - Called Lexus and they said after I hit the learn button on the opener to get in the car and press & hold both the Homelink button and the remote opener button simultaneously 4 times. Tried that with the car in the garage and the key in the ACC position. Nothing....

Anyone else had as much trouble as I have?

A side note. I bought the car used and it was programmed. Before when I hit the homelink button the light just stayed on. Then I reset the codes (press & hold the two outside buttons). Now when I hit the button it flashes slowly like it is supposed to. In the Lexus manual is says that if you try to program a rolling code opener the NON-rolling code way that the light should blink fast 2 times and then become solid. My light NEVER CHANGES. It always flashes slowly. I have held the button for over 40 seconds and still keeps flashing slowly. Any chance the receiver on the Homelink is broke? Is that something the service department can test? I am taking the car in for its 5,000 mi. checkup next Tuesday.

Thanks for any help, sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
i just recently did it on my moms LS and her SC...

all i did was go up on a ladder, hit the button on the garage door opener, then press one of the homelink buttons for like 2 sec, the garage light went off and on once, and it was set... :-?

BTW the car wasnt even on, nor had the key in the ignition

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
hit the two outside buttons and hold them for 30 seconds. Once the blinking pattern changes, you can stop. This resets the homelink and gets it ready to accept new codes. it worked for me...

·
Registered
887 Posts
Alright...I reset it again and still nothing. I noticed that when I hit the learn button and the light on the opener comes on it doesn't go off after I hit the button on the homelink. Has anyone ever had their homelink receiver or transmitter break? I am getting to the point where I think the homelink needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
pmergler said:
Alright...I reset it again and still nothing. I noticed that when I hit the learn button and the light on the opener comes on it doesn't go off after I hit the button on the homelink. Has anyone ever had their homelink receiver or transmitter break? I am getting to the point where I think the homelink needs to be replaced.
ok now that its reset (reset it again just in case) try what i said...

go up on a ladder, hit the button on the garage door opener, then press one of the homelink buttons in the car for like 1-5 sec, the garage light should blink once, and it should be set...

(its better if you have 2 people, that when when you press the button on the opener, someone else can press the homelink in the car a second after)

this SHOULD work.... :roll:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
14 Participants
Aubie83
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing