Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Homelink instructions are in the manual I think, but if not, you can get it off their website at homelink.com. They have it in PDF format.

·
Registered
21,494 Posts
How about "read the owner's manual"?

Just kidding. It's pretty simple. From what I've heard, you hold down the button until it starts blinking, then you hold the garage door opened button down and put the transmitter really close to the visor, and when it has picked up the signal it starts blinking fast. Done.

But maybe I'm not the best one to answer this since I've had my IS since November and still can't get the damn thing to work! Errrrrr! Very annoying.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
yeah, im with you is300girl...i've tried a million times and i still couldn't get that damn thing to work.

i think it may have something to do with the roaming code changes, but thats just my guess.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
If you have a newer type garage door opener, then mostly likely you have one with roaming code changes as shinto stated.

The IS' homelink garage door opener is compatible with this type of garage door, but unfortunately I don't remember the extra steps one needs to perform to sync the door opener with the garage. =[ Although you should be able to call your Lexus service rep and he/she should have a Homelink 1-800 customer service number who would walk you through step by step.

I'm not entirely sure about these steps, but I'm going to give it a shot:

1) In your IS, hold down whatever button you want until its blinking real fast.

2) Go to your garage door opener gear box and locate some sort of button on the actual garage door opener box. Hold button down until LED on it flashes.

3) RUN back to your car and hold that blinking button again until the light oscillates at a slower rate. The garage door opener LED only stays in that state for like 30 seconds.

This should sync it up, if the steps I gave were correct, which I doubt.

I am positive that one does need to have some sort of button to push on the garage door opener box. Mine was next to the light bulb. Also after the garage door opener box's LED is flashing you only have like 30 seconds to sync it up with your IS. This was an olympian task for me since I was on a shaky ladder, holding the phone, trying to push some button, then running down the steps like a madman and trying to locate the blinking led button in my IS. I nearly twisted my ankle. And to top it off, the Homelink CS rep, was like "Okay you see the garage LED blinking?" "Yeah" NOW RUN TO YOUR CAR! I was like WTF are you talking about. He was like you only have 30 seconds, DO IT NOW! heh

All in all, the IS Homelink remote does work, you just need to find the extra steps to sync it up. If your dealer doesn't know of such a CS number, I'll be glad to call mine up to find out what it is.

-crontab -l

·
Registered
70 Posts
Get a second person so you don't have to worry about running back to your car then you don't have too worry about the "30 seconds".

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have a garage door opener with a rolling code. the lexus service came to my house to program it for me.

the following is how i remember it was done:
1. hold down the two outside buttons on the visor for 3 sec.
2. then hold the remote close to the visor and press it until the visor led starts blinking.
3. then reset your garage door opener. it was done through the side of my opener with a screw driver
4. then choose which visor button you want use as your opener and press it until it starts blinking

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
whoa.. i didn't know so many ppl had trouble programming this.. hehe
it was a breeze for me~!! i just got one of the remotes that i used for my garage opener and held the button down. While i was holding the button down, also held the button i wanted to program on the visor. When the LED starts blinking real fast on the visor, you are done!
i've done my garage code, and also have 2 of my friends' as well!! puhahaha!! i have full access to their garages now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Originally posted by zamscan:
i have a garage door opener with a rolling code. the lexus service came to my house to program it for me.

the following is how i remember it was done:
1. hold down the two outside buttons on the visor for 3 sec.
2. then hold the remote close to the visor and press it until the visor led starts blinking.
3. then reset your garage door opener. it was done through the side of my opener with a screw driver
4. then choose which visor button you want use as your opener and press it until it starts blinking
umm if you have a rolling code garage opener you cannot program it with the remote... here are the exact steps:
1) open ur garage door opener up ( the one on the ceiling )
2) pressed the little button that says "trainer"
3) run and scream like a maniac to ur car like some guy bout to **** his pants
4) press which ever button you want to use on the homelink system (on ur vizor)
5) if garage door closes ur done.. if not just press the same button again and it should close and you're done.

above is how the owners manual's instruction however I was only able to get the farthest button one on the right of the vizor to work. The left and middle button wouldn't work no matter how many times I tried. I wonder if the right button is the only one you can program rolling codes on...

Anyone else have this problem?

btw you can program multiple rolling coded garage doors with the same button. (I have like 5 garage doors programed on the right button)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a hell of a time trying to program mine. After about an hour or so I gave up. Turns out my garage door opener (Mac Lift) isn't compatible with HomeLink. I found that out going to the Mac Lift and Homelink websites. Homelink also confirmed it with me by email. So I'm still using my garage remote instead of the Homelink.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a damn mac lift too...that sucks that it wont work...maybe its time to upgrade garage door openers
... has anyone looked into any of the homelink stuff for turning on/off lights or anything else..? just wondering

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
do you know if you can program a gate to open? i live in an apt that has access gates, has anyone coded the homelink to the gate?

·
Registered
69 Posts
does the gate use remote control or proxy readers...I lived in a gated apt. in college but we had cards to open the door...if it is remote, I think it should work becasue all the homelink does is match the signal...

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
finally got mine programmed today....here is what i did :

held the center button in and the garage door open button (on the remote) in for a while, until it flashed slowly, then i repeated the process and it flashed rapidly the second time, and worked after that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
To operate a gate using Homelink, it must be remote controlled. My friend has an Accord with Homelink and has the left button set to open the gate and the center to open the garage. Are all Homelink systems the same?

·
Registered
242 Posts
What a sorry mish-mash of accurate, near-accurate, and just plain wrong information!

The manual is very clear on the entire subject if you just read it carefully. They do refer you to your garage door opener's documentation, or its manufacturer, but that's just the final step. FIRST, you can clear all three buttons' settings by, I believe, holding down the outside two for a long period of time (20 seconds). THEN you hold down the button you are programming until it flashes. NEXT hold your opener remote close to the buttons and press its button until the flashing changes. Release both buttons.

If it works now then stop, you don't have rolling codes. If not, locate the "learn" switch on your opener chassis somewhere and press it. Different openers may require different learn activation methods, but a simple press often is it. NOW you have thirty seconds to return to your car and press the button you are programming. Press it once, release, press again. If the opener operates then you're done, otherwise press the button one more time. Now you're done.

Really, if you follow these directions then it will work. If it doesn't then you either didn't really follow them exactly, your opener is not HomeLink compatible, or something is actually broken.

See http://www.homelink.com/euro/downloads/gen_inst_eng.pdf

These are for the "Euro" version, but apply completely to the "US" version.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
My first SBM Is homelink worked great with my opener. But my second Yellow IS the homelink just wont work. IT accepts the rolling code from the remote, but the Opener will not "learn" the code when I hit learn and run over and press the programmed Homelink button. I just have given up on it. I easily programmed my first one.. I just cant get this current one to work myself. So I just clip my remote to the visor. (sigh) When will Lexus get it right?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts