Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I've heard the Blue IS300 as well as several others that were on display at the auto shows and dealerships were pre-production models that would be sent back to Japan to be destroyed... So was the Yellow IS300 that debuted on Automobile magazine a pre-production model as well? Was the car that appeared in Car & Driver (don't know the color), the same car that was tested in Automobile Magazine? If so then maybe the actually production models could drive slightly differently....
Eric.....

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I think that the Autoweek yellow and the blue one reviewed in a few places were pre-production but they were built to be very close to the production models, so the opinions written were probably a good representation of the way the real production cars will behave.

Lexus did have disclaimers on the pre-production cars saying that the "fit and finish" may not be up to production standards, but otherwise they should have been pretty similar.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason why the fit and finish on the pre-production cars is because they were hand built (info from local dealer). There have been a lot of complaints on the Fit and Finish of Lotus and Lamborgini (both hand built). If the pre production IS300s were indeed hand built, I wonder how much they were worth....
Eric....

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
How much they were worth? That is hard to say - your average "consumer" would probably rather have a fully legal, factory produced production car.

Some collector ~might~ pay serious money to own a pre-production prototype, but there won't be too many buyers like that.

Now if you are talking about cost to build - I am sure it was a lot. I would guess over $100,000 per car!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
The $64 thousand question is this:
Would you pay a hundred grand for a hand built twin turbo 300ZX? Nope. And that's one cool car that will go down in history and will probably be a collectable. You won't see too many Japanese cars at the Scottsdale auction, regardless of year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
brad
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing