Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I've heard the Blue IS300 as well as several others that were on display at the auto shows and dealerships were pre-production models that would be sent back to Japan to be destroyed... So was the Yellow IS300 that debuted on Automobile magazine a pre-production model as well? Was the car that appeared in Car & Driver (don't know the color), the same car that was tested in Automobile Magazine? If so then maybe the actually production models could drive slightly differently....
Eric.....

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I think that the Autoweek yellow and the blue one reviewed in a few places were pre-production but they were built to be very close to the production models, so the opinions written were probably a good representation of the way the real production cars will behave.

Lexus did have disclaimers on the pre-production cars saying that the "fit and finish" may not be up to production standards, but otherwise they should have been pretty similar.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason why the fit and finish on the pre-production cars is because they were hand built (info from local dealer). There have been a lot of complaints on the Fit and Finish of Lotus and Lamborgini (both hand built). If the pre production IS300s were indeed hand built, I wonder how much they were worth....
Eric....

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
How much they were worth? That is hard to say - your average "consumer" would probably rather have a fully legal, factory produced production car.

Some collector ~might~ pay serious money to own a pre-production prototype, but there won't be too many buyers like that.

Now if you are talking about cost to build - I am sure it was a lot. I would guess over $100,000 per car!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
The $64 thousand question is this:
Would you pay a hundred grand for a hand built twin turbo 300ZX? Nope. And that's one cool car that will go down in history and will probably be a collectable. You won't see too many Japanese cars at the Scottsdale auction, regardless of year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts